Elite: Dangerous

I was a massive fan of all the Elites (Elite on C64 and Amiga, Elite 2 on Amiga, Elite 3 on PC). I love space sims of almost all kinds.

But I'd rather give my money to people who have been keeping the space sim genre going in the 19 years since Elite 3.

In that time while we've been waiting for Elite 4, SW3G has released Star Wraith, Star Wraith 2, Star Wraith 3, Star Wraith 4, Arvoch Conflict, Riftspace, Evochron, Evochron Alliance, Evochron Renegades, Evochron Legends, Evochron Mercenary and Arvoch Alliance. That's a games company of basically just one guy.

Maybe not as nice looking as the X series (which by the way has released X Beyond The Frontier, XTension, X2 The Threat, X3 Reunion, X3 Terran Conflict and X3 Albion Prelude since Elite 3 came out), but it's got trackir head tracking support, hotas joystick support, landing on planets, newtonian space flight, ship customisation and multiplayer.

I'd much prefer a kickstarter to reform Particle Systems and make an Independence War 3. I'd be throwing money at that!

Of course if Elite 4 does come out and it's good, I'll get it.

There's now some visuals up on the ks page...

No way that'll run on Pandora 1 :( ;)

Looks like its got multiplayer. I backed it at the 20 pound level. Was thinking of getting a boxed copy, may change my mind later.

Now that the KS page has videos and more info , it doesn't look to bad from what I can see, look forward to it.

Half way to the goal funding with 37 days left - hopefully it will make it.

Elite Dangerous just got funded on KS.  Now the wait for it to be developed.

Anyone been following the numerous updates with this, are they on track?

It plays pretty good.  The keyboard controls are bonkers (in a good way), it uses nearly every key on the left side of the keyboard and a fair few on the right too.  And I had to bind 4 extra keys to help me fly better in combat!

Wonderful retirement fund for him :)
don't even

Yep, I have been following the campaign...and already glupped all bad things I said about this project. It is looking good.

But I foresee a long time before I could ever play it. It is really expensive.

Just got a KS update today,  Tuesday 16th December is the release date for Elite: Dangerous!

This online mode sounds still much more "offline" than the usual "always online" mode of other games. And I guess Elite Dangerous would benefit alot from online/Multiplayer stuff,  so I don't see a real problem, as long as the servers keep up. Should be not that heavy server load if they only check online status from time to time like mentioned.

This online mode sounds still much more "offline" than the usual "always online" mode of other games. And I guess Elite Dangerous would benefit alot from online/Multiplayer stuff,  so I don't see a real problem, as long as the servers keep up. Should be not that heavy server load if they only check online status from time to time like mentioned.
Totally different things - Elite Dangerous already has an online/multiplayer mode, they just drop the "offline" part and hide behind some awful excuse. Some just want to play alone in a virtual universe that only changes if they are actually playing it, which isn't possible anymore.But interesting to see how things have changed, some years ago people were on the fence about a game needing some sort of regular acknowledgement from the server, now they are already giving high praise if this does not happen constantly.

But I guess in the end it won't change anything, a small outrage, some will take the offer for a refund, but most people will eventually just don't care.

Back