Elite: Dangerous

Also, note the last SimCity escapade where people who bought the game couldn't play it because there was too much load on the servers. Then followed up by EA shutting down a bunch of game servers killing 50 games.

This isn't the only reason I am cancelling my preorder (I have significantly less time available), but it does pose somewhat of a concern and I don't want to back it.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least the online requirement is because of features.

SimCity had no reason to be online except publisher paranoia.

Still, since they're not going with a subscription model (still true right?) why not include the server so people can run their own universes?

Still, since they're not going with a subscription model (still true right?) why not include the server so people can run their own universes?
Since they're not going with a subscription model, how are they going to continue to fund the servers?

Heck, I had no faith in this when it started, Braben kind of has the looks of Craig to me. :p

The development of it kind of changed my mind,  you know, things getting done are a strong argument.

Then there comes one first big mistake.

My take is that the assets of his company are not going to grow any longer is he dosen´t push DRM just so to make investors happy and confident that there will always be a way to strike for money on the consumer base, thus making investments ´safer´.

Wheter this conspiracy theory holds true or not, I think there should be a better way to communicate instead of the BS they tell people on why it can´t be done.

I will probably be getting this game at some point, deffinently not on its current price and condition, but as a steam discount way way later then the release day.

One point about it that I never changed my opinion, is that they are not indie and they sure have the ways to raise funds for such a game without the need of crowdfunding or early acess.  

Wheter this conspiracy theory holds true or not, I think there should be a better way to communicate instead of the BS they tell people on why it can´t be done
One of the speculations I heard, that I thought was credible, is that they're running late, and with always online, you don't have to worry about content not being there when you release, because you can make sure it's done by the time people are "getting there". Offline though, you really do need it all finished.

Well, this is kickstarter funded, so the investors are the customers, they're not getting a share of the profits and I'm pretty sure none of them wants DRM.

Wheter this conspiracy theory holds true or not, I think there should be a better way to communicate instead of the BS they tell people on why it can´t be done
One of the speculations I heard, that I thought was credible, is that they're running late, and with always online, you don't have to worry about content not being there when you release, because you can make sure it's done by the time people are "getting there". Offline though, you really do need it all finished.
It is plausible, but that dosen´t justify not pushing an offline version (even if it is crippled) to go with it in case the user is not online for content or core update.

Well, this is kickstarter funded, so the investors are the customers, they're not getting a share of the profits and I'm pretty sure none of them wants DRM.

I know, but I take Braben´s company have investors outside the scope of elite and the kickstarter (share holders).

I think this is a common misconception with Kickstarter. You're not an "investor", you're a pre-orderer.

To be honest, I care more about getting it ,  than this issue.  Benn hanging out for it for so long. So close now

Still some work to be done, There's quite some issues in the beta client.

With 3 weeks to go to release they need to really push to get it in a release acceptable state. 

So I got the following email below, I thought we backed a final release of the game, doesn't say otherwise on the KS tier I backed.   Not sure where this Gamma business came into it. Anyone able to share some light on this.

"Hi Commander,

RE: Gamma Access

As per your Kickstarter backer pledge tier you are entitled to Elite: Dangerous Gamma Access.

To start playing Gamma, please download the launcher from the link below:

<link>

Regards
Frontier Team"

Who knows, I got that email too, despite sending a couple of emails asking for a refund!

Maybe now you get a free gamma version? the unknown? some people like both free and unknown hehe.

Please Crom and all cosmic forces, let me be fully wrong around this fishy smell... :(

Back