Elite Or Wc Privateer Clone

a wish forum, everybody has wishes...
elite/wingcommander privateer were pretty much the same game, but they just plain rocked--imo, the latter more than the former. just reminding everybody of some greats. I don't think there's an open source clone for either of them, but the elite trade engine is here in C:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

I'm nowhere near "calling" these games, but maybe in the somewhat foreseeable future I'll do my own trade engine. Perhaps borrowing logic from above. It seems a reasonable goal for me. The 'action' portion of those games is far above where I'm probably going to progress to. Though after a couple tetris or breakout clones I may attempt a 2d shooter planet transit scene.

I'm sure somebody will have located the code for an elite clone by that time.

edit: correction, the gba clone source (for whatever that's worth) is available here. His two versions are very nice, though I never did learn to love elite's realistic control scheme.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 16 2005 at 12:25 AM said:
elite/wingcommander privateer were pretty much the same game

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
you don't agree? They offered much the same in the way of gameplay. Granted privateer offered an enhanced storyline and play options, but it seemed a natural progression, certainly in the same genre. not too many action/trading games out there.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 16 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
I'm sure somebody will have located the code for an elite clone by that time.

Alternatively try the C64 version of Elite using Frodo now. Runs like a charm. :D

WrongEyedJesus posted on Dec 16 2005 at 04:17 PM said:
Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 16 2005 at 12:25 AM said:
elite/wingcommander privateer were pretty much the same game

:blink:
Freelancer can also be argued to be similar, and even Eve-Online, wich is basically Elite turned into a MMORPG, although it is arguable that thus it is much more than Elite ever was...

Just heard from Skeezix, his ST emulator is on its way soon, Elite is pretty neat on this. But Starglider II will be even better :D .

Back