Emlulators For The Wiz

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Dear readers,

First let me apologize if this topic is in the wrong section or has already been discussed, I'm in a real hurry at the moment. My question is, what emulators will be available for the for the "Wiz"? I believe I heard that a Snes emulator is in the works, but besides that I don't know. I couldn't find a list of planned emulators (Like on the pandora Forum) but I would really appreciate any knowledge on this topic.

Thanks for listening,
-Spadoof :gp2x

I'd say check out the GP2X emulators and that'll give you a good idea of what's to come...

Peter R said:
except with an ~60% performance increase?
I would expect more than 60%. Puck2099 has overclocked the Wiz to 650 Mhz and he didn't try a higher clockspeed just to be in the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uukrul said:
Peter R said:
I would expect more than 60%. Puck2099 has overclocked the Wiz to 650 Mhz and he didn't try a higher clockspeed just to be in the safe side.

Not to mention OpenGL ES 1.1 with 1M Polys+ a second, for emulators that need 3D acceleration (CoughPSXCough).

Perhaps the 2D will even be accelerated as well.

We won't know until they are made, but considering it is an open system they probably won't stop the development. Whether or not there will be enough info to make it worth the devs time is another question.

Peter R said:
Hooka said:
I'd say check out the GP2X emulators and that'll give you a good idea of what's to come...

I trust I can quote you on the 60%? Is this finally an emulation fact?

And are there linux drivers for that 3D chip? MES only mentions drivers for CE, and mysteriously there are no 3D games shown on the Wiz...

craigix said:
And are there linux drivers for that 3D chip? MES only mentions drivers for CE, and mysteriously there are no 3D games shown on the Wiz...
I believe MES are working on Linux 3D drivers for that chip.

craigix said:
Peter R said:
Hooka said:

I trust I can quote you on the 60%? Is this finally an emulation fact?

Well, I'm basing the 60% increase on the fact that the fenix interpretor ported over runs at approximately 60% faster framerates.

I think Squidge is right about the 3D hardware support.

So is a psx emulator possible? Is it confirmed to being made or just possible? Could it run full speed ( theroectically)? Will the emulator be able to support all the features the pandoras psx emulator is going to have (different filters, ect.)

=Spadoof :gp2x

Spadoof said:
So is a psx emulator possible? Is it confirmed to being made or just possible? Could it run full speed ( theroectically)? Will the emulator be able to support all the features the pandoras psx emulator is going to have (different filters, ect.)

=Spadoof :gp2x
Possible? Yes, it has the same processor as the GP2X, but much faster.

Will it support all the Pandora Features (filters, etc [do you mean video modes?])?

I don't know, there are only so many filters that you can add to a PSX game, I guess it all depends.

The Pandora is much much more powerful, especially in the 3D hardware, but the Wiz only needs to worry about 320x240 pixels, so it could be fast enough and include a reasonable number of filters.

This is all assuming that the 3D accelerator is working on the Wiz, if it isn't then we get basically the same as a faster GP2X.

Thw Wiz could be a great system and a much cheaper and excellent alternative to the Pandora for those interested only on the classic computers and consoles like the 16-bit and older systems.

If only it had a bigger screen (at least same size as GP2X)

spardasieg said:
Will all the emulators be available from the Gp2x for the wiz on launch?
That is probably unlikely as it will be required the the emulator authors have already recieved a Wiz and ported it over and there are MANY authors.

Ahh I see but it should not take to much time for stuff like snes , genesis, and Neo Geo right since its like the same system with more power?

Also do you think it will sell out on launch? Cause if so I have to get a preorder down soon...

It's just all up to the author. The only other way I guess is if something is open source and they can recompile the stuff themselves. Either than that I guess what everyone else has said. Just up to the author of said program. I'm sure there's not going to be a problem with most of the "big" emulators. I'm sure authors would like to see how their performance is with just a recompile and nothing else optimized yet. I like what this is going to do for emulation. I'm sure it's going to be a good deal better. (for certain emulators). I'm really looking forward to the homebrew stuff though. I love the homebrew stuff. It's like back in the day when games were pretty much just one or two guys anyways. It's just nice seeing the talent that's out there.

spardasieg said:
Ahh I see but it should not take to much time for stuff like snes , genesis, and Neo Geo right since its like the same system with more power?

Also do you think it will sell out on launch? Cause if so I have to get a preorder down soon...
No, it shouldn't really take too long for the majority of the stuff to be ported over assuming the emulator authors decide to.

I have no idea whether it will sell out on launch as I have no idea how big the production run will be etc. If you decide to preorder and are in the UK I recommend you use GP2x.co.uk as it's what i've used for all my GP related consoles in the past and i've always had good service.

okay now betting this has been discussed already but I been wondering.

The wiz getting 3d capabilities should open the door on some more emu's

All the ones that the gp2x has had up until now should work and now more games should work especially the ones for FBA I can finally enjoy some more schmups

Psx yea I could definately see that happening now, but what about beyond?? N64 I dunno, but what about the Saturn and DC?? any possibilities or should just shoot for pandora, because that is about the only reason would even jump at pandora because of the possible emulation of the saturn and the dc. And also the bigger screen :p doing work on the computer at the same time so my budget is slim...

garzyboi said:
okay now betting this has been discussed already but I been wondering.

The wiz getting 3d capabilities should open the door on some more emu's

All the ones that the gp2x has had up until now should work and now more games should work especially the ones for FBA I can finally enjoy some more schmups

Psx yea I could definately see that happening now, but what about beyond?? N64 I dunno, but what about the Saturn and DC?? any possibilities or should just shoot for pandora, because that is about the only reason would even jump at pandora because of the possible emulation of the saturn and the dc. And also the bigger screen :p doing work on the computer at the same time so my budget is slim...
I would think n64 would be more of a possibility than Saturn or DC. Saturn could be done but you'll be playing with maybe 10 fps if you're lucky.

N64 is a problem because there's no FPU and N64 games use float operations a lot, whether or not soft floats would be enough is hard to determine.

Back