Release Emu EX Plus Alpha ported to the Pandora

Is there a setting to display the framerates on any of these? I can't seem to find that in any of these that I've tried

I didn't enabled SegaCD code in MDemu (it wont build, and I don't feel like fixing it, as it's not a simple fix

Thanks again @ptitSeb for updating these emulators. :D

I wouldn't worry about the SegaCD emulation. I have found PicoDrive works well for that. I played Snatcher to completion with PicoDrive.

One question - is it possible to change the button/key used for exiting these emulators?

I play many games on multiple consoles and almost all of them conform to either the American or Japanese style button layout. I am referring to the swapping of the Primary/Secondary (aka Accept/Cancel) buttons.

To explain - American style uses the bottom button as accept and right button as cancel (e.g. Xbox = the bottom button is "A" and right button is "B") whereas the Japanese style has these the other way around (e.g. Nintendo = the right button is "A" and the bottom button is "B") The games on PlayStation varied but usually changed button styles to match their release region - with some exceptions (notably Metal Gear Solid which used the Japanese style layout everywhere including its western releases i.e. X button for cancel and O button for accept)

The problem is that my "muscle memory" cant remember the A/B button layout every time for every app/game (Some programs recognise this confusion and allow you to swap the accept button between the bottom button/right button e.g. RetroArch) Normally speaking, pressing the wrong button is only a minor nuisance. But on the latest port of Emu EX, accidently pressing the cancel button while in the menu (and I find I do this often!) kicks me out of the emulator! :mad:

Last edited:
I understand very well, and as an european, I use the opposite mapping (and so most of my PND use that mapping). I'll see what I can do.
Thank you very much @ptitSeb

I really appreciate your understanding with my headache. I actually don't mind which "accept mapping" style is used (I play different consoles so I have to use both) What frustrates me is any app that uses its Cancel function to quit!

If we have to have a "quit app" button, can it be mapped to something that isn't used very often? Maybe one of the number keys? Or the good ole Escape key combo?

Last edited:
OMG, ptitseb, this update solves a weird tearing I’d had with GBC that I could never figure out! Amazing, thank you!!!! I’d been using 8blitter for a couple years to work around that and now I can go back to using this full suite, which I think is really amazing for Pandora due to the consistent and easy to use interface. One of the biggest reasons I’m excited for the Pyra is knowing there are talented programmers like you in the community.

BTW I have been tinkering on & off over the last few years with cheats for the Emu EX emulators. I have been writing code to remove any codes that are invalid format + remove codes that Emu Ex can not handle. I guess I could upload a zip of the cheat files when I'm finished...assuming that is if anybody is all that interested in cheating on old GameBoy games?!

I might be interested in cheats for NES games. I always meant to give the Mega Man games a good go, but in practice I can't even get very far on the easier levels in the first game.

Hi,

about 2600.emu, anybody tried Yar's revenge with it? On my Pandora the flickering is so bad most of the time things are barely visible.

I am seeing the same on all 2600 emulators on a lot of games (e.g. Amidar). Anyone a suggestion how to fix this? I've already tried all video options and use the latest versions of software.

I had no problem playing Yar's Revenge on my Pandora. I did have difficulty playing Venture because on the map screen your character is represented by a single red pixel, and the Pandora's screen seems to have very slow response in the red, so that if you move it it pretty much disappears and you can only see where you are when you stop. However, that didn't stop me enjoying the game because the map screen is rarely frantic, and you only needed to make you way to a room to become a much larger icon. But that was played using panmame not a home console emulator.

I don't think I've played amidar, and I plan to test Venture on the Pyra screen when I get the chance.

I thought this was the totally normal thing with 2600 emulation simply because I didn´t know it any better in the 1980ies on my small CRT either,

I thought this was the totally normal thing with 2600 emulation simply because I didn´t know it any better in the 1980ies on my small CRT either,

Haven't had a lot of experience with the 2600 - only played Astroids on a real one and that one didn't have any flickering for sure.
That said I checked on youtube and indeed Amidar does have flickering on the original 2600 as well. Sometimes the sprites just disappear for a while. I continuously tried to fix it by changing settings what (in hindsight) made other games worse.
So a non-existing problem.. :)

I had no problem playing Yar's Revenge on my Pandora. I did have difficulty playing Venture because on the map screen your character is represented by a single red pixel, and the Pandora's screen seems to have very slow response in the red, so that if you move it it pretty much disappears and you can only see where you are when you stop. However, that didn't stop me enjoying the game because the map screen is rarely frantic, and you only needed to make you way to a room to become a much larger icon. But that was played using panmame not a home console emulator.

I don't think I've played amidar, and I plan to test Venture on the Pyra screen when I get the chance.

Tried Venture on the Pandora via panmame and it didn't look bad to me. I could see the red dot fine and no ghosting. Also tried Venture on the 2600 and looked fine as well.
I think the Pandora had different screens during its lifetime, maybe you had/have a lesser quality screen?

Nice! A new update for these emulators! Downloading now. Thanks ptitSeb :D

(I'm hoping the "Really Exit?" menu has had the Exit Emu/Return to Game options switched. Lose so much game progress when deep in menus and press cancel, cancel, cancel, cancel whoops the emulator closes instead of returning you to the game!)

I tested two of the updated emulators.

I don't know how to give this feedback without appearing to trash the hard work done by @ptitSeb (who I highly respect)

I hate to say this but I will have to downgrade to the previous version released. The only changes I noticed in this release were all negative.

New Changes:
  1. Screenshots - Now everytime I take a screenshot I get a prompt asking if I want to save the image Yes/No. This is annoying and unnecessary.
  2. "Swap Cancel and OK buttons" - This doesn't appear to do anything. Whether I have this set to On or Off, it still appears to be using Pandora X button to accept and Pandora B button to cancel. (i.e. the primary and cancel buttons are using the Xbox layout (A, B) instead of Nintendo layout (B, A)
  3. As a consequence of above - Accidently pressing the Pandora B button while in the top most level of menu tree of the emulator causes the emulator to close without warning. I lost almost a dungeon and a half worth of progress a few hours ago simply because my muscle memory was pressing accept (Nintendos A button is the eastern most button in the diamond. The emulator menu insists on treating this as the Xbox B button)

I think no. 3 is the cause of the "Really Exit?" issue - the issue that kicks you out of the emulator and causes you to lose all unsaved progress.
Pressing cancel is a great way to swiftly navigate back through the menu trees to return to the topmost menu. However if you are looking to get back to playing the game ASAP, pressing cancel one too many times at this point will kick you out entirely and you lose all unsaved progress.

If only the cancel button could be disabled as a means of exiting the emulator.

I like the "MSX.emu - Emu Ex Plus Alpha" because is fast, but I have an issue:
in the game "Psycho World" the screen starts shaking while running, this happens after the second or third screen... everything else seems working in the right way, are there some options on the emulator that could affect such behavior ?

(On OpenMSX, called "MSX" on the repo, the game runs without problems, but I have to overclock to have a decent experience.)

Last edited:
Are there some secret options to make MD.emu faster for a Rebirth Pandora ?
Even clocked at 1Ghz there are slowdowns in many games... I already disabled all the options I found in the interface to modify/beautify the video aspect.

Back