Emulated racing games

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
This is an offshoot of porg's native racing games thread. If you know of any open source racers, post them there. :) In the meantime, let's talk racers that we can play right now. I have the following:

PCSXreARMED

- Need for Speed (forget which one)

- Gran Turismo 2

Mupen64+

- Road Rash 64

- Beetle Adventure Racing (doesn't run all that well)

Picodrive

- Road Rash I,II,III

Tonight I'm going to try out Microprose Grand Prix in DOSBox.

PSX is probably going to turn up the most content here - all suggestions welcome. (My list is a little lazy. If you'd like to include screenshots, reviews or rants, please do.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of Stunts/ 4D Sports Driving for Dos/Amiga

I'm going to have to be thoroughly predictable, here, and suggest Mega Man Battle & Chase for the PSX. :p

VzmLY.png

It's often overlooked because people dismiss it as a Mario Kart clone of some sort, but it's actually got less cartoonish handling (though it is still very much an arcade-style racer), and you need to be mindful of not accelerating into corners and so on. The "take the boss' weapons" hook of the main games is present here, in the form of taking parts (which all have different properties) from your opponents' cars and being able to completely customise your own vehicle with the pieces you take - something that no other such game has done (at least to my knowledge) until the upcoming Mario Kart 7 for the Nintendo 3DS. :p

I'm going to have to be thoroughly predictable, here, and suggest Mega Man Battle & Chase for the PSX. :p

My votes with prometheus here :) battle and chase is a thoroughly enjoyable racing game with much more to offer than mario kart.

also rc pro-am anybody?

so why mention mario kart while we're at it, runs great on snes and n64. f-zero also runs great go snes and n64. extreme-g is okayish on mupen with heavy overclock and maybe running from minimenu. also diddy kong racing runs near perfect. maybe some lotus turbo challange?

ST/Amiga - Stunt Car Racer / Indy 500

Playstation - Ridge Racer series / Need For Speed series / Test Drive series / Colin McCrae series / V-Rally / Total Driving /

(and some that may or may not count) - Micro Machines V3 / Felony 1179

So is the plan to gust get a list of all the emulated racing games that the Pandora can play, or are you looking for suggestions in the spirit of a 'best of' thread?

Assuming the latter, some games I've played have been:

NES

Galaxy 5000

SNES

Stunt Race (Uses SuperFX)

DirtTrax FX (Uses SuperFX)

Uniracers

Exhaust Heat

F-Zero

Mario Kart

N64

F-Zero X (Has very minor texture issues and will slow down after long periods of constant play)

Mario Kart

Diddy Kong Racing

I know of some more, but I need to check that they work with the Pandora.

EDIT: Also, I was never able to ger Road Rash working in a playable state with MuPen.

Amiga

Lotus series, Test Drive II, RoadRash

There's also a pretty good RoadRash Version for PSX, I have the PC-Version of it. Should run with psxrearmed

Any idea if Sierra's "Indy Car Racing II" or "Nascar Racing" are playable with DosBox on the pandora? They are pretty much on the edge of what may be possible ...

So is the plan to gust get a list of all the emulated racing games that the Pandora can play, or are you looking for suggestions in the spirit of a 'best of' thread?...

EDIT: Also, I was never able to ger Road Rash working in a playable state with MuPen.
My aim was just to get some suggestions really. :) Comprehensive lists never hurt though!

I've had some weird troubles with RR64. The top half of the picture is kind of cut off / displays the sky only, which makes oncoming stuff impossible to see. This magically resolved itself in one of the many Mupen releases (one of the gpu fix releases by bzfrank IIRC), then when I updated to the picklelauncher version (latest in the repo), the problem came back. I've tried to switch versions, restored old appdata, but nada. Baffling.

When I'm not having that issue, it runs very well for me clocked at 900mhz and importantly, with framebuffer enabled and resolution set to 400x240. (That's beneficial for all N64 games, obviously.) Turning off all music helps too - it's all chopped up and ruins the experience. But the SFX themselves are quite ok.

(If anyone has RR64 displaying properly, please share your version & settings!)

I just used the default settings, I believe. I don't remember what mine are, as I haven't played it in a while, but Ridge Racer 64 runs beautifully.

Amiga

Lotus turbo challenge 2

Stuntcar racer

Supercars 2

Psx

V rally 2

Moto racer world tour

Motorhead

Spy hunter is an all-time classic. Arcade was original but I grew up on the nes version.

Spy_Hunter.png

I love the music from this game too.

Neo Drift

Wipe Out (series)

Formula1 & f198 (didnt play the others)

crash team racing

toca1&2

wolrds scariest police chaces (prodominantly a driving game)

Driver

destruction derby

wave race

think there the obvious ones ive not seen so far

Woody Woodpecker Racing for the PS1 is quite good.

I just love that pecker head :p

Last edited:
I don't particularly care for it, or others', but mine still impresses me to this day.

Night driver! Who needs graphics :)

They may be just dots, but they're still graphics! I remember my misspent youth, cycling to the 'arcade' at a nearby seaside town that had all those mechanical arcade machines, racing games that had cars on visible sticks against projected backdrops that never changed, or the ones that had a super-8 loop of film that sped up or slowed down as you accelerated/braked - steering just shifted the image slightly left or right! Half the time it was practically impossible to work out what the hell was going on or even if you were actually in control, but we were full of candy floss & fizzy drinks so it mattered little. :)

N 64:

Hotwheels is pretty fun to play and worsk fine.

Sound's a bit laggy but you could turn it off.

Back