Emulation Benchmarks?

If cdrdao didn't spit rips to the home directory, I'd imagine this could have been do'able on the Pandora, too (assuming cdrdao was ported - it isn't in the Angstrom repository). I don't know if there's any way to change where it puts them, though. :p

Prometheus said:
If cdrdao didn't spit rips to the home directory, I'd imagine this could have been do'able on the Pandora, too (assuming cdrdao was ported - it isn't in the Angstrom repository). I don't know if there's any way to change where it puts them, though. :p
http://linuxreviews.org/man/cdrdao/ could be helpful, or just do man cdrdao :p

You can just read stuff with the read-cd option, and --datafile <file> should store it wherever...haven't tested it myself, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man page isn't fantastic, unfortunately. The version you linked to is much, much better, though - thanks very much. :)

For what it's worth, I self-learned the above from what useful information I could get out of the man page on my system - and for some reason it's the only way I've found to get both bin and toc spat out.

Thank you Prometheus!!

I just installed it to my Mint Linux (VM).

I'll grab a PSX game in a min and test it out! You're a champ!

No problem - let me know how it turns out. :D I ripped my entire PSX game collection that way - it's pretty quick, too.

I've ripped all my games using Alcohol 120% today, except RE2.

I'm going to try head back to Mint - I had a problem with it. Something like "could not connect" to some website.
I'll try again.

ISO & BIN files are both acceptable for PSX emulator?

Edit:IMGBURN is making a .Bin file.

I have a question:
It's mostly aimed a Devs like ZOD and even Exophase. This is about Metal Gear Solid (and other 2 disc games).

It's a 2 disc game.. How do we "Open" the lid and "Swap" discs seeing how they're files and if you click open rom/file then will that just cause it to open the 2nd disc which then tells you to insert disc 1?

There is also a 3rd disk for MGS called (Japan: Integral) Euro/US: VR Missions disc which requires Disc 1, then swap.

I have seen a fix for PSP which requires a gameshark (or similar) code. Multi Disk Fix - PSP!!

kingoddball said:
Does anyone know if the emulator will be playing .ISO files? All mine are now a simple ISO file.
If I understand correctly, an ISO file can only contain a single ISO filesystem image, whereas the PSX games often used additional tracks to contain audio.
This means an ISO file cannot contain all of the data for a game, but a bin/toc or bin/cue can.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Aninhumer said:
kingoddball said:
Does anyone know if the emulator will be playing .ISO files? All mine are now a simple ISO file.
If I understand correctly, an ISO file can only contain a single ISO filesystem image, whereas the PSX games often used additional tracks to contain audio.
This means an ISO file cannot contain all of the data for a game, but a bin/toc or bin/cue can.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

ZOD made PSX for iPhone and that can play .ISO. ZODttd Link - iPhone PSX

Could someone please verify?

Cheers wizardStan your explaination was clear, and I'm happy now that my pandora will run at least as good as my iPhone games, and props to Ari64 and whoever else works behind the scenes getting these emus built and available to gamers like me

I'd seen that n64 craig vid before but didn't have sound on so missed that the fzeroX was rolling video only and not in gameplay, still the snes version is a fav for me, that I'm sure runs fine

kurushi on the psx is another I'm keen to see run well, if anyones not played it i can only describe it as a puzzler a bit like classic Klax game, but original in it's own right, used to love playing that but it's been tooooo long since I last played it

since N64 is under emulation layers, which games will push pandora to it's limits? I know Q3 is among them but due to the fact it's not perfectly optimized it does not looks as good as it could. Any other 'heavy' games on line-of-sight? any chance to get commercial games for it? I know this was asked countless times, is PSP emulation development plausible in near future?

Danke.

Klarth said:
I know this was asked countless times, is PSP emulation development plausible in near future?
This was asked quite recently. I posted an answer regarding that here, and then JayFoxRox (the fellow behind the emulator) also made a comment here. That's all there is to be said about it at this time, as far as I'm aware.

I would also like to know about metal gear solid. On my computer, which is a pile of junk, almost all playstation games run through emu at full speed with sound etc, but i just cant get MGS to run properly.

How will it run on the pandora?

Hopefully playable with sound, because i dont want to miss out on hearing "you want us to pull each others ears?"

Quake3 ran at 13FPS with every option turned to high including the light map.

With them set to 'normal' it runs along at a happy ~30fps, you can get this up to 60fps if you reduce some of the settings.

This is all at 800*480.

burzum said:
I would also like to know about metal gear solid. On my computer, which is a pile of junk, almost all playstation games run through emu at full speed with sound etc, but i just cant get MGS to run properly.

Hopefully playable with sound, because i dont want to miss out on hearing "you want us to pull each others ears?"
Realistically, I don't think we're going to know the answer to this until Pandoras are in people's hands and people start testing out their games. Keep an eye on this wiki page, it will probably begin being populated once folks have tried stuff out.

I can't volunteer to test this game when I receive my unit, though, as I don't own it. I'm sure that at least one person here does have it, though. :p

Prometheus said:
burzum said:

Realistically, I don't think we're going to know the answer to this until Pandoras are in people's hands and people start testing out their games. Keep an eye on this wiki page, it will probably begin being populated once folks have tried stuff out.

I can't volunteer to test this game when I receive my unit, though, as I don't own it. I'm sure that at least one person here does have it, though. :p

well i own it, so id be happy to test it out myself when i get my pandora! I really hope it runs well.

It would seem most of my first post has been answered. I thank those who took the time to provide. :)

How about some speculation on GBA? Im not expecting much but I was also wondering about Neo Geo.

Last question for the thread! Promise! Any word on Game Boy Advance emu? It would sure beat having to lug around 30 games or so.

Back