Enteresting News About Perfect Emulator

vincent85

Still Fresh
Today, i came across the board in the gp2x.com forum and see an interesting post by MR.PERFECT

The emulators, if there are going to be any this early, for the GP2X will be better than the ones already for the GP32.

So, you can think of it running snes with no problems at all.

Of course, when you look at emulators on a pc, you need on pretty smart pc to get an emulator running 100%. And no emulator is perfect.

They try to emulate the exactness of the console, but its definately not exactly the same.
Different archetectures, different chips. It all depends what someone wants to do with it really.

To say emulator for the snes, i assume perfect snes emulation, perfect everything - sound, framerate etc etc.
But there are some things that perfectly emulated consoles wont have to be had on gp2x. Like if you want atari st, the interface can become a lot to encode.

To just port an emulator version for gp2x is tough, very tough. to get a nice one like drmd takes a HECK of a lot of effort. Its easy to use, nice on the eye and runs things really well. not perfectly, but really well.
given the system its on..

But the gp2x is SO much more powerful! SO expect near perfect emulation for that emulator.. But then you got more than just running games. you got a whole bunch of options to set. some coders, none are proffessional here, ant get perfect sound with perfect frame rate.
and its things like this which take a lot of time, a lot of testing and a lot of brain patience!

To ask for a snes emulators specs so early is a bit along the "no answer here" lines because thats like asking if the next president is going to be any good!

The more you get to understand about these two factors below, the more you get to think of the possibilities.

1) The gp2x is good enough to run perfect megadrive, snes etc

2) Its up to the comunity to make good emulators!!

PSP simply doesnt have enough GOOD coders for it, with the word GOOD i mean a labour of love. you see, people who code for the gp32 really love the gp32. and the same will go for the gp2x because gamepark give them what they want, like 64mb!!
So there is a lot of respect going round for gamepark holdings right now, coders who want great emulators etc. will code for the gp2x because simply its safer and a tad more fun to do than with the psp.

But it all depends on how much they want the emulator to work. you can have several iterations of a snes emulator, just like on gp32. but there is only one really good one! One man must code one emulator, and thats how it goes.

if you got several emulators on the go, chances are its going to be the same ind of interface, same code basis and all that for the projects.

if you got one emulator project designed solely for one console, then you got a faithful emulator for the console, its games and engine.
and thus it would be perfect for the system.

Simple ports of emulators wont cut it, you can base a code on the emulator, but then with the gp2x there are infinite possibilities! So one mans code will be entirely different to another.

Perfect framerate? it depends if the coder want perfect framerate. Please ask at an emulation forum, because only the coders will know what to give, and what you will recieve.

If those things are true then , we will properly have perfect snes very soon....yayyy
long live gp2x!!!!! :D :D :D

What exactly has been said here that hasn't been said over and over and over again? :p
I found nothing after skimming it over...

lol, that is bs in that post.. you dont need a smart PC for emulating snes, N64, PSX, dreamcast (chankast), you can even pick up a 2Ghz processor that will do all of them near perfectly for cheap now.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Oct 25 2005 at 09:35 PM said:
lol, that is bs in that post.. you dont need a smart PC for emulating snes, N64, PSX, dreamcast (chankast), you can even pick up a 2Ghz processor that will do all of them near perfectly for cheap now.

Some people don't upgrade their PCs every few years, and to them, a PC with a 2.0 GHz P4 or Athlon XP 2000+ or so may be 'smart'. Also, I can confirm Chankast does not run smoothly on 2.0 GHz P4s and probably wouldn't on a 2000+ AXP either. N64 is also very stressful, although it and the PSX should run on such hardware just fine. Most of the issue is emulator efficiency, not system speed, since most PCs on the market these days are hundreds of times (or thousands of times) more powerful than the consoles they emulate.

But when you are dealing with a system only perhaps 10-50 times as powerful the efficiency of the software doing the emulation (which is an inherently slow process) becomes of paramount importance.

Last edited by a moderator:
vincent85 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 01:32 AM said:
Today, i came across the board in the gp2x.com forum and see an interesting post by MR.PERFECT

If those things are true then , we will properly have perfect snes very soon....yayyy

And this "mr perfect" is some sort of authority? Or is it just some newb rambling on with no facts to back that rant up? HMMMmm. I wouldn't put too much into that. We will need to wait and see how things go. Not much is really known yet..

vincent85 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:32 AM said:

...blah...

I think the general jist of all that is:-

"The GP2X is better than the GP32, the emulators will be better too. How much better? Wait and see what the devs produce"

Same'ol same'ol

What it comes down to is that before any of the GP2X emulators can be signifigantly better the Devs will need to learn how to program the due processors effectively. This seems to me to be the major stubling block, all these people say "just wait it'll be better I garauntee it!" and I'm sure it will but it's going to take more than straight ports most everything is going to take rewriting to make use of the second processor and that will take time, assuming they try to do it.

What is a "smart" pc? :blink:

/me doesn't want to get a HAL 9000 just to play emulator :ph34r:

Dude, my development machine is an athlon 750MHz PC. And I run a business developing online flash games. It works wonerfully, and is a great benchmark for the lower spec machine nowadays. I also have several other faster machines, including a 64-bit AMD Turion laptop, but the 750MHz machine is fine for most things (grantedm it does have a Radion card and 1/2 GB mem).

MHz isn't everything.

Many games nowadays take the speed for granted and use whacked, bloated code that would shit a slower computer. Sometimes no thought is put into refining the algorithms for performance because of this.

My last machine was a 200MHz Pentium MMX. It was also great.

The purpose of this rant (yes there's one) is that given a knowledgeable coder and a lot of time/effort - it is amazing what is possible on lower spec hardware.

p.s. Remember Death Rally - psuedo 3D multi player racing goodness? It ran amazing on my 200MHz POS PC. Thats what I think about when people say 'its not possible on the GP32/GP2x'.

So ramblings on the GP2X forum get passed off as gospel but ramblings here are taken for the ramblings they are. Hmmmm ;).

There is a very simple way to look at GP2X emus and apps, some very talented devs have pre-release units and are playing with bits of code, ideas, emus, games etc. etc. so expect to see some very cool stuff on the GP2X.

Will that cool stuff be exactly what you want? Maybe not, it depends on what the devs want to play with 1st (hell, I am sure 99.9% of what I have been messing about with would not set anybody on fire, compiler hacking is a friendless task).

To be honest I would not be at all surprised if there is a big raft of old demo crew style demos while people get the measure of the hardware and push things like the 2nd CPU, 2D engine, scalar etc..

Please stop all this rubbish about 'will there be perfect this, that and the other'.

The reality is at launch there is not a chance in hell of perfect SNES, MegaDrive etc. etc. (not saying there won't be emus but perfect is a hell of a job and implies it’s tightly tailored to the hardware, that is just not a quick job for anybody (well ok some people can do it quickly but not many ;)).

Just chill and take a deep breath, life goes on and the only way to speed things up is to muck in and help in some way. That what the community bit is all about :D.

DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:26 AM said:
To be honest I would not be at all surprised if there is a big raft of old demo crew style demos while people get the measure of the hardware and push things like the 2nd CPU, 2D engine, scalar etc..

Now, I wouldn't mind that at all. :) There were precious few of those for the GP...

I can't make sense of this post. There is no logic at all in some of the arguments. Is it translated with bablefish or something? :huh:

DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 09:26 AM said:
So ramblings on the GP2X forum get passed off as gospel but ramblings here are taken for the ramblings they are. Hmmmm ;).

There is a very simple way to look at GP2X emus and apps, some very talented devs have pre-release units and are playing with bits of code, ideas, emus, games etc. etc. so expect to see some very cool stuff on the GP2X.

Will that cool stuff be exactly what you want? Maybe not, it depends on what the devs want to play with 1st (hell, I am sure 99.9% of what I have been messing about with would not set anybody on fire, compiler hacking is a friendless task).

Please stop all this rubbish about 'will there be perfect this, that and the other'.

The reality is at launch there is not a chance in hell of perfect SNES, MegaDrive etc. etc. (not saying there won't be emus but perfect is a hell of a job and implies it’s tightly tailored to the hardware, that is just not a quick job for anybody (well ok some people can do it quickly but not many ;)).

Just chill and take a deep breath, life goes on and the only way to speed things up is to muck in and help in some way. That what the community bit is all about :D.

Ive been trying to think of someways I can help out the community myself but unfortunatly my talents dont lie in the coding department. If anyone needs anything doing I can do professional standard photography and Im not too bad with photoshop either. Just send me a PM if you have any ideas for me to work on!

pea posted on Oct 26 2005 at 03:25 AM said:
p.s. Remember Death Rally - psuedo 3D multi player racing goodness? It ran amazing on my 200MHz POS PC. Thats what I think about when people say 'its not possible on the GP32/GP2x'.

Death Rally rocked! I wonder if 3d realms or Remedy would release the source? That seems like the perfect kind of game to port to the GP2x.

-OCA|

Death rally.... perfect game.
For waiting the port of this game you can also play to super cars 2 by amiga emulator.

Death Rally was really a great game (hmm, good idea to play it again =).

@mr.perfects posting: ??? I don't understand what he wants to say. It seems to be a complete senseless posting for me.

PSP simply doesnt have enough GOOD coders for it, with the word GOOD i mean a labour of love.

My god, so true.... I'm looking at you, Yoshihiro.

(Want proof? play his Game gear / Mega drive emulator. Utter crap. You can't blame that on the system. )

Eolair posted on Oct 26 2005 at 11:04 AM said:
I can't make sense of this post. There is no logic at all in some of the arguments. Is it translated with bablefish or something? :huh:

yeah so many words to say so much of nothing :blink:

i have rarely read so much emptyness :D

Back