Esc

id10t

I hate bringing this up so late in the process, but I am the only
Vi(m) user who thinks the Esc key should be a single standalone keypress?

And isn't Esc used as a quick abort in a few other apps,
as well as a "Esc" + a number key to represent Function keys in terminal windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use vim a lot and wish we would get a keyboard layout with which vim/vi is comfortable to use. But since the keyboard is so small we will have to live with some compromise.

Independent from vim or vi, to reach ESC quickly is a good thing for a lot of applications, as you already mentioned.

Hm, I hadn't noticed that.. I definitely agree that esc should be a single keypress. On my N800 Nokia even added it as a special key on the front.. it's used for a lot of things.

It doesn't strictly have to be ESC. When you compile up Vi(m), change it so it uses a different key. The start or select button between the analogues might work nice, or even mapped to one of the game buttons for easier access. Solutions will be found, I have no doubt. I don't think it's necessary (or even a good idea) to give ESC a button all it's own when other solutions exist.

Unless the "other solution" gives you single-press esc then it's not a good solution, and if it does then that's no different from giving it a key of its own in the first place.

re-read what I said. It doesn't have to be a single press ESC. It can be changed to any scan code. Make it single press "Y Button": it's the exact same functionality, only the name is different.
Of course, you could also just go ahead and remap ESC to the "Y Button" and not worry about it. That's your single press escape. Swap whatever was on "Y Button" back to Fn-Q if needed.
Point being: why are you worried about it? There are many solutions no matter what they do with the layout, so just relax, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

'hells_dark' said:
'WizardStan' said:
It doesn't strictly have to be ESC. When you compile up Vi(m), change it so it uses a different key.

And what about editing the vimrc instead ? not possible ?

Maybe? Didn't think of that. Never even thought to try in the past, but from a quick google search, that looks like it'd work perfect. Just pick a key you don't expect to use, and use that instead.

This is actually a pretty cool idea.

Left shoulder button to go into command mode.
Right shoulder button to go to insert mode (and should not insert an 'i' if already in insert mode).

A very simple tweak to the vim source (or even perhaps a .vim script) should enable this.

Being honest though, I can't think of a better solution for the location of Esc
than what is in the render - given that we don't have an extra key up top left
and I have been looking at the layout closely.

I think I could adjust to Fn+Q easier than relocating the Esc to none top left
location, eg to a center button, or a shoulder.

I expect the pandora to replace my laptop when travelling, but I do use vim
and text files a lot for quick cross platform notes.

and I just realised I use Esc a lot in tcsh, Esc-p - previous command.

Hmm, I use Esc more than I first realised.

But then, I won't be working 10hrs a day on the pandora.

esc, and the other vital key to me is control ..
main use for a pandora for me: ssh into my shell on my server, reattach the screen.
and for screen, you need ctrl+a .. always.

BTW, Control-[ also seems to do "Escape" in vim. On my box, anyhow. Of course, a quick glance at the render on the blog suggests that combination will not be especially helpful.

I love the idea of the shoulder keys. And the comment about using Escape in other (text-oriented) contexts makes sense as well. Perhaps an xterm which maps the shoulder button to Escape?

(D'oh! Esc-ZZ doesn't work here...)

'aug' said:
esc, and the other vital key to me is control ..
main use for a pandora for me: ssh into my shell on my server, reattach the screen.
Yeh, I do that a lot to my home router, and other linux boxes too.
I thought I read where ctrl and alt were going to be, but can't find it now.
ctrl+alt+f1 - cli console

'aug' said:
I remapped screen's primary key to backtick. It's much healthier for the hands (I have RSI so I have to be vigilant about that), and it's very rarely used by other applications. The only rub is that I can't seem to get it to do the "go to the last active screen" function that you normally do with "^aa".

...this is also completely useless for the Pandora's keypad, but as others have suggested the gamepad buttons would be a great idea (but can .screenrc do that?)

Not only VI(M), also IRSSI uses ESC (you can use alt+1-9 or esc+1-9). So i definitely want the ESC button. And the CTRL for using screen (detacting and attaching terminal).

In ASCII 'Esc' is 0X1B which is 'CTRL ['

Edit: But this isn't any better and there doesn't seem to be a ctrl key :)

'Parkydr' said:
Ctrl should be on left shoulder button :)

'peca' said:
'Parkydr' said:
Ctrl should be on left shoulder button :)

According to ED, left shoulder button is Left Mouse Button. Ctrl is one of the keys between the analogues.

Back