Essential Stuuf For A Newbie,

dsk1210

Still Fresh
Hi Lads

My name is Dave and I am quite new to the site, been looking over it for the last few days and seeing what everyone is saying, seems like a good community and a friendly atmosphere.

Right, down to the nitty gritty.

My GP32 arrives tommorow (hopefully) and I am struggling to know what are the best emulators to get hold of for performance, also anything else I might need software wise and any essential homebrew or official games.

I would love if someone could give me a bit of feedback and help a newbie out. ;)

Looking forward to posting on the site more often.

Cheers.

Oh and happy new year. :)

Ok, the best emulator for Mega Drive/Genesis is DR MD, it's full speed and BLU+ compatible(which is what you are getting most likely).
Some homebrew games are REALLY good such as SmashGP (a port of Smash Bros on N64), GP Final War (think command and conquer) and Lacuna (a VERY addictive yet basic game)
Most short movies run full speed on GPCinema(maybe full movies), If you can encode them properly(search for it on forums)
But thats just some programs you need ;)

PS Offical Games aren't much good compared to what you get for FREE! :D

Where to get this ace stuff?
The GPfile archive!
Also you're going to need roms, I can't tell you where to get those though.
Other really cool applications excepting emulators are:

Doom-You can have many different wads and pwads on Doom making it's playability much better, they're basically like add-ons or patches.

SCUMMVM- This a GP32 port of a program that runs many old adventure games, many made by Lucas Arts. Currently the GP32 version supports:
Day of the Tentacle
LOOM
Monkey Island 1+2
Sam and Max hit the Road
(possibly more, can't remeber)

Then there's various homebrewn games. Good ones for example would be GPFinalWar and the GP32's new exciting homebrewn game; Smash GP (a moddable super smash bros. clone).

Also there's some stuff for the non-coders who want to contribute eg Gigas an amazing program that's used for making your own RPG's for yourself and others. This program is regularly being updated!

I've missed loads of stuff, but considering, that's a lot of cool things ;)
Also check out the FAQ in the "I Need Help" section, it should fill you in on everything you need to know.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, GPCinema for playing DivX and XVid encoded movies :D.

GPQuake is also very good. no sound and speed is not as fast but its still very much playable and fun.

Cheers everyone

Loads of stuff there for me to sort out for tommorow.

I have actually about 7gb of roms, although most are mame and n64, but grabeed a load of pcengine stuff and that.

Really looking forward to getting this set up.

Thanks once again for all the info ;)

I find myself playing alot of akanoid, tie break tennis, pinball dreams, little john, and dr. md, I would like to play some more of smashgp but I am waiting for more characters to be made - tried to do a couple myself (link, bubble bobble, ice climber) but I just don't have the talent to make them look decent.

B) wildo2ne

If you are a retrofan, who wasted most of his youth playing videogames you must get your hands on CaSTaway. The diversity of software is so great, many fantastic treasures there.

If you are a retrofan, who wasted most of his youth playing videogames you must get your hands on CaSTaway. The diversity of software is so great, many fantastic treasures there.

Yeah man, I was pasty white. :D

Used to use the old ST for making music using trackers, I might even have some of the old software lying about, that would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere in this thread is a fairly comprehensive list of the best emulators for each system (it might be slghtly out of date now, but probably not by much): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=146553

If you don't know what system to go for, I reccommend genesis or PC engine - effectively full speed, shiny graphics. But don't forget that there are some cracking games on older systems like C64, Atari, Coelovision etc... from back in the day when graphics were awful so they had to have actul gameplay! Text adventures are a bit nightmarish if you don't have a keyboard to plug into your GP32. One source is: http://www.nigelibrown.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gp32/

There are various threads around on this site discussing the best games for each system - it's worth looking for these, or checking out fan sites dedicated to specific consoles to find game reviews and suggestions. We're not allowed to suggest places to obtain ROMs to play in the emulators, but google is your friend!

Gloop!, Lacuna, Electronica, Puzzle Mix and GPPang are all great free games. There are many more but that's all I can think of offhand.

If you like fighting games (Streets of Rage) Check out "Beats of Rage" - fully customisable SoR clone with huge numbers of characters, backgrounds, music files etc available online. (All free)

RPGs - check out the Gigas project (search on these boards).

SVOrbis is a good .ogg music player, MP3Mad is my favorite .mp3 player.

GPCinema (version 2 now out, but I haven't tried it yet) - video player. It's sometimes a bit of a fiddle to convert video files to the right format, but everything you need to do it is free online, as are several good guides. I don't have the links to the guides, but look in the GPCinema forum on this board or google.

As mentioned before, Doom is worth getting (you'll need to own a copy of Doom to get the .WAD file). You can play the original Doom games as well as countless modified versions available online.

If you like LucasArts games, ScummVM is good- doesn't play all titles, but monkey island series, Sam n Max, Day of the tenticle and perhaps ofthers - should keep you busy for a while!

On a more practical note, if you have windows XP you may need the modified drivers. Search the forms (I think it might be in one of the FAQs) for more info.

The "GP32 Manager" program used to transfer data from PC to GP32 isn't much use except for formatting. You'll be much better off transferring data using a card reader, or GPDrive (possibly phoDrive, I seem to remember the name changing), a program you run on the GP32 which makes windows think your GP is a removable hard drive.

There are many more cool applications and games available - have a look around and try them out!

Most files I've mentioned are avaiable from this site's file archive at www.gp32x.de .
A lot of the files you'll want while you're getting started can also be found at www.gp32eu.com - a very professional looking fan site, but doesn't seem to have been updated for ages.

Have fun,
Melville

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out just playing emus but I've got more and more into homebrew games. My faves are:

Akanoid
Box
Electronia
GPAsteroids
Perfect Fit
xRick

most of which never leave my smc...

J(ohn)

Still waiting on my GP32 :(

thanks to you lads I have loads of stuff ready to go when it comes though.

cheers ;)

Back