Eth - Usb Host To Host Cable

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi,

I bought a Belkin host to host USB network cable specifically for connecting Pandora to my computer, now I'm testing it with my laptop. That's because I won't always have wifi around, and plugging a cable will be much simpler in some cases.

There is one problem though (to my surprise) - this cable doesn't work off-the-box with latest linux kernel. It uses F5U258 chipset, and it works with that patch:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/86240

I already have this patch applied on my computers and a laptop, so they can connect using it flawlessly.

Would be pretty nice if you could include this patch in your Pandora linux kernel tree, that would save me the hassle of recompiling Pandora stock kernel just to apply this patch.

thanks

it has a full usb host yes... but I believe there are some issues with certain devices too tired to remember right now but using a hub resolves the issue if I remeber correctly

@cosguri do you mean 2.6.27? .... Pandora is shiping with 2.6.28 most likely

theoddbot said:
You should be able to configure the Pandora to use usb-ethernet gadget drivers when a PC is connected to it's OTG port, no need for the fancy cable.
Yep, that works, I often use this to test stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
cb88 said:
@cosguri do you mean 2.6.27? .... Pandora is shiping with 2.6.28 most likely
I checked, and this patch is not present in 2.6.28 either.

theoddbot said:
You should be able to configure the Pandora to use usb-ethernet gadget drivers when a PC is connected to it's OTG port, no need for the fancy cable.

You mean the small-USB which is present on Pandora? Heh, and I bought a USB host-to-host cable. But will Pandora be equipped with necessary OTG cable? Does that connection enable full ethernet connection? Can I ssh in both directions, etc?

If not, then this patch would be useful nonetheless, because it provides a normal eth0 link. Can you apply it?

cosurgi said:
You mean the small-USB which is present on Pandora? Heh, and I bought a USB host-to-host cable. But will Pandora be equipped with necessary OTG cable? Does that connection enable full ethernet connection? Can I ssh in both directions, etc?
If not, then this patch would be useful nonetheless, because it provides a normal eth0 link. Can you apply it?

That's how it worked on the GP2X, and I'm sure it will work the same way for Pandora, as it's one of the most beloved features for developers.

And yes, it worked both ways, as a normal ethernet connection.

cosurgi said:
It's the same cable as was provided with the GP2X, and it does exactly the same as the gp2x. Even if the Pandora doesn't come with one, you can use the gp2x one, or buy one for £2.75. All it does is give your Pandora an IP address which you use as a standard ethernet connection (ssh, telnet, samba, etc.. anything you can do over a regular IP address).

cosurgi said:
How come I didn't know about this? :blink:

I never had gp2x, though.
I never knew about this either until someone mentioned it for the gp2x f100.

Squidge said:
cosurgi said:

Is this some sort of USB to ethernet active circuit device?
Please describe, as I also am GP2X-Less.

j.pickens said:
Squidge said:
cosurgi said:

Is this some sort of USB to ethernet active circuit device?
Please describe, as I also am GP2X-Less.

The Linux kernel on the device side of the OTG port (the pandora in this case) will present itself to the host PC as a CDC-Ethernet device. The host PC loads the appropriate drivers to deal with the device and brings it up as a USB-Ethernet adapter. The host and pandora can then talk to each other as if they were connected by a standard ethernet link, and do file sharing, ssh etc as you would expect.

There is some more information here: http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

Back