Ethernet To Wifi Adapter ?

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi guys,

I'm working in a school at the moment, setting up the network, recycling old computers with Linux (Puppy), etc...

And I'm wondering: what's the easiest / cheapest way to turn these old computers (some are already equipped with Ethernet network cards) into Wifi capable PCs ? We have two D-LINK DWL-2100 Wireless 108G AP btw..

ENOUGH WITH THE CABLES !!! :)

Bye and thanks for your propositions !

Magic Sam

I don't know of too many ethernet to wifi adapters. I know there was one for the original XBox, but a friend of mine had one and he couldn't get it to connect to networks using WPA with his 360. Not sure if that's a concern for their network, but it probably should be. Otherwise, you could set up AP's to work in bridged mode, but if you want each computer to connect wirelessly, you'd need an AP for each PC. Your best bet would probably be a USB wifi adapter. That would be much easier to find, at least, and likely easier to set up, too.

You'd have to use wireless bridges. The traditional type that you buy are 1 port each, so one per computer, but you could use various routers(dd-wrt capable ones probably the easiest), and bridge several at once, but of course, this is still somewhat wired.

Just buy some wireless PCI cards. they're $20 a piece, but cheaper than most bridges I've seen.
Alternatively, if there are multiple computers in a cluster, you can buy a single router, run short wires from the computers to the router, and the router acts in client mode.

Back