EU vs. US cellular hardware.

I'm bicycling through Latin America right now and I have a US Tmobile plan that has had phenomenal coverage here. It uses the same spectrum as AT&T and Sprint so I'm getting the US one now and if I tour Europe afterwards I'll need to get at the very least the CPU board with the EU chip. I'm going slow though, I've been out 7 months and just today left Mexico and passed into Guatemala so maybe an upgrade will be out by the time I finish Latin America and I'll just get the EU upgrade.

Cellular and electricity/power plugs aren't universal globally unfortunately.

Good to hear from you! I hope the trip is going well! If you're blogging it somewhere, you need to put it in your signature here so we can check up on you now to then.

I guess that would save a lot of money. I've repaired my nephew's DS Lite so I'm guessing I can do that.

Or... By then ED should have refurbs and repairs on Pyras going. If you start & end your trip in Germany, you may simply be able to swap/trade your US mobile board for an EU mobile board and back. Though I'm not going to discourage you from purchasing a 2nd Pyra either.

Great to hear you're still on the road!

Completely off topic... We took a family trip to Mexico back in 1987 (Yes, I'm old, but I wasn't then). Since I'd had a year of High School Spanish, I was the family translator. My grandfather, being rather set in his ways had a standard breakfast order. He wanted two eggs over easy served between two pancakes and a glass of tomato juice.
"Dos juevos frito y frito despues de dos pancacos con una huego del tomato."

I had a waitress slap me then storm off once when I got to the pancakes.

I'm lazy and not blogging, not a picture person. I enjoyed recording/editing video but pulling out my notebook to edit is a hassel. I can't work with a notebook on my lap. Having a handheld that I can pull out when I have spare time (and I have a lot of spare time, just not next to a desk) would be easier. I almost pre-ordered the GPD WIN 2 but held off because I liked the Pandora so much. The WIN seems like I might not use it if it didn't edit video, if the Pyra can't edit video I will probably use it as much as I did my Pandora. I have my fingers crossed, even if it takes 10x longer than my notebook to render the video it will be a good trade off to be able to use it at convient times. I could kill the GUI and just let it render overnight.

Anyway if anyone can get Blender to run on the Pyra that would be really cool. I really don't know how someone could make a video of it though, Blender is quite involved.

Edit: lol, got this thread and the one Askarus started on creating videos mixed up.

Last edited:
I'm lazy and not blogging, not a picture person. I enjoyed recording/editing video but pulling out my notebook to edit is a hassel. I can't work with a notebook on my lap. Having a handheld that I can pull out when I have spare time (and I have a lot of spare time, just not next to a desk) would be easier. I almost pre-ordered the GPD WIN 2 but held off because I liked the Pandora so much. The WIN seems like I might not use it if it didn't edit video, if the Pyra can't edit video I will probably use it as much as I did my Pandora. I have my fingers crossed, even if it takes 10x longer than my notebook to render the video it will be a good trade off to be able to use it at convient times. I could kill the GUI and just let it render overnight.

Anyway if anyone can get Blender to run on the Pyra that would be really cool. I really don't know how someone could make a video of it though, Blender is quite involved.

Edit: lol, got this thread and the one Askarus started on creating videos mixed up.

Here you go.

Pyra Blender installs out of the box.
I have not much idea how to use it.

If you have something small/mediocre for me to render and tell me how to do it let me know.

I have no GPU enabled. Does Blender use it? I suppose.

Dragging around the default rectangle feels not even that bad.
It's teleporting behind my cursor but it does not slow down the Pyra or mouse movement.

Attachments

• Pyra Blender.jpg
    Pyra Blender.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Pyra Blender screenshot.png
    Pyra Blender screenshot.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 360
Here you go.

If you have something small/mediocre for me to render and tell me how to do it let me know.

It's teleporting behind my cursor but it does not slow down the Pyra or mouse movement.
Ah, this is good news, I was going to get the Pyra regardless but this makes me happy. I don't really have anything to upload but I know it is possible to download a 'job' and ad long as the files are in the same directory it will work.

At this time Blender uses only the CPU for rendering but has experimental code for nvidia cards I believe but that won't work on the Pyra anyway.

Thanks for this, just knowing it compiles and runs makes me happy. Importing a 1080p video on it to chop it up, eh, I don't know.

You're probably busy but there is a youtube channel that shows how to set up Blender for video editing and he uses big buck bunny as a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2G7EknC5BJeVpZU3Iperg

Last edited:
At this time Blender uses only the CPU for rendering but has experimental code for nvidia cards I believe but that won't work on the Pyra anyway.

I mean while I do the editing and move 3D objects on screen.

Thanks for this, just knowing it compiles and runs makes me happy.

You know that I didn't compile it?
I opened up the terminal
sudo apt install blender

It's not Pandora times any more.
All standard software is in the official Repo.
[doublepost=1522049822,1522047412][/doublepost]
You're probably busy but there is a youtube channel that shows how to set up Blender for video editing and he uses big buck bunny as a sample.

What format do I need?
h264-mov did not load.

Here you go.

There is a simple blender benchmark: http://www.eofw.org/bench/
Not very involved but good for a quick CPU render comparison.

Blender does NOT need the GPU for rendering. The raytracing Cycles renderer can use CUDA/OpenCL if you have a supported GPU and configure it accordingly. Video encoding does not use the GPU at all and only supports a single thread currently. (Rendering 3D scenes uses all your threads tough)

There will be Blender 2.8 relased later this year that features a revamped user interface. From what I have read until now this will require OpenGL 3.3 - Which might be a problem for the Pyra. I'm not too sure about how this works and if there will be a fallback etc.. Maybe someone can shed more light into this topic.

Last edited:
There is a simple blender benchmark: http://www.eofw.org/bench/
Not very involved but good for a quick CPU render comparison.

Blender does need the GPU for rendering. The raytracing Cycles renderer can use CUDA/OpenCL if you have a supported GPU and configure it accordingly. Video encoding does not use the GPU at all and only supports a single thread currently. (Rendering 3D scenes uses all your threads tough)

There will be Blender 2.8 relased later this year that features a revamped user interface. From what I have read until now this will require OpenGL 3.3 - Which might be a problem for the Pyra. I'm not too sure about how this works and if there will be a fallback etc.. Maybe someone can shed more light into this topic.
Hmm, maybe for the video editing part it doesn't use the GPU, just for rendering 3D objects. Or maybe I'm thinking of a really old version. . .

I don't use Blender updates unless there is something that directly benefits video editing. The last two updates did but before that it was years between the blender team paying attention to the video editing side of things. Which is alright, Blender is first and foremost a 3D modeling/animation program with video editing tacked on.

Hmm, maybe for the video editing part it doesn't use the GPU, just for rendering 3D objects. Or maybe I'm thinking of a really old version. . .

Sorry I corrected my message above. It does NOT need any GPU as it is currently but it CAN use it with the Cycles renderer. Video editing and compression is purely run on a single CPU thread. I usually edit with blender, export a lossless video and then compress with ffmpeg (mostly via Handbrake) using all threads my desktop CPU can deliver...

Back