919.3 KB · Views: 697
  • DSC_0721.JPG
    DSC_0721.JPG
    932.8 KB · Views: 709
  • DSC_0724.JPG
    DSC_0724.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 701
splendid job! special thanks to azouls and the whole uniqueplast team! <3

i for one like the brown and the safetyorange-reds.
but as i'm a future cream-white (will this be made?) or dark-grey (it looks not that dark in the images, which is fine for me) customer,
the "red-lovers" have to decide this.

@matzesu: i don't think bodyheat will do a problem to an idleing pyra. just don't lay it on a hot unimog motorblock and run the nintendo emu. ;)
[doublepost=1568455507,1568455129][/doublepost]
just some extra photos

awesome! this combination looks really cool!! :p&|a:<3

Looks awesome! Black looks like a perfect choice, especially if it's likely to be sorted sooner. Likely I'll want to buy different colored case(s) down the line.

By the way, that (black) looks glossy, although it's hard to tell from the angles. Is it fairly reflective? (I.e. a fingerprint magnet)

Here's a photo of the shoulder button against the cable.
That's an incredibly bad news !
Does someone knows why it was missed ?
Hopefully it can probably be fixed. Tweaking the axis part shoulder button should do it.

That's an incredibly bad news !
Does someone knows why it was missed ?
Hopefully it can probably be fixed. Tweaking the axis part shoulder button should do it.
? Bad news? It's designed to be close (as we don' have much space) and the shoulder button doesn't really move a lot there. Plus, on that side of the LCD cable there's a pretty wide non-critical ground plane, so even if that would be damaged it wouldn't cause issues.

And the cable has a coating as well - the shoulder button would have to shave itself through the coating first :)

The case and the cable must not be in contact.
We changed OP lcd cables so we know what friction does. What is worst here is that there will be a lot more shoulder button presses that OP lid open/close...
But it can be fixed easily, so that's great.

We changed OP lcd cables so we know what friction does.
Pretty sure physical contact is a prerequisite for friction to happen ;-)
So what do you mean? That it will likely to shift eventually? (Although that would probably wear at first, and friction later). I don't know the pandora's cable, but i assume it was thinner than the ground line of the pyra cable?

Well, your statement was at least a bit confusing to me, that's why I asked. Of course I could guess, but that won't make sure it's the same that you meant, but now it is :)
Although I am still not sure about the button stuck part, but anyway that are all speculations, and there is still ED's argument about the wide ground. And according to his post there will be no fix, simply because he does not consider it as a defect in the first place.
So I guess time will tell who is right.

We changed OP lcd cables so we know what friction does. What is worst here is that there will be a lot more shoulder button presses that OP lid open/close...
But it can be fixed easily, so that's great.
The Pandora cables failed (like most LCD cables, btw) because the copper trace breaks eventually when it bends in different angles (which happens when opening / closing the lid).

The shoulder button does not bend any traces.

While I appreciate all the effort going into this, I can't deny that the case will be a weak point of the Pyra for sure. It is a difficult situation with how the molds were created by the old case company for sure, so this is less to criticize, rather than it just being my observation of the state of things.
On the upside, it's a pretty sturdy case, but it's also bulky and feels rough around the edges all around. It's odd. While the Pyra certainly does many things better than the Pandora, the Pandora felt more finished as a package.
That's not to say I'd cancel my pre-order or anything (I'm somewhat indebted to ED at this point too). Still perfectly usable device, with a lot to offer. They're doing their best, but I can't deny it's little less polish than I hoped for years ago.

For these air vents, though: Is that just the photo or are the holes really not the same size on each side?

...I might sound a bit too negative in this post thinking about, ah well.

That brown doesn't look too bad, certainly no more ugly than the burgundy in the early Pyra renders. :p

Of course tastes vary and mine seems to include an "allergy" to dark reds, probably due to suffering a school uniform in grey and burgundy (it was supposed to be claret, but it always turned out much closer to brown).
What happes on my Usecase: Pyra in Standbye Mode sitting in a Pocket of a Workpants ?? I know the Pandora ditnt made lots of Heat, but the Pyra is a bit more powerfull..
So i think it will get at least Body Temperature, ..
If the Pyra's architecture for suspend to RAM is anything like it is on a more conventional machine, only the RAM is powered. The processor is off and the machine is cold.
Should i let open the zipper a bit to make shure heat from the Pyra CPU in Low Power Mode can get out of my Pockets ??
Probably best to keep your zipper closed at work!

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Black looks like a perfect choice, especially if it's likely to be sorted sooner. Likely I'll want to buy different colored case(s) down the line.

By the way, that (black) looks glossy, although it's hard to tell from the angles. Is it fairly reflective? (I.e. a fingerprint magnet)
I think that black is actually a dark blue, although it's always possible the auto white balance that all cameras do these days throws us off. If you zoom in to at least one of the photos you can see that gloss is kind of speckly at close inspection, indicating it's actually a matte surface and shouldn't be too bad with fingerprints.

I think that black is actually a dark blue, although it's always possible the auto white balance that all cameras do these days throws us off. If you zoom in to at least one of the photos you can see that gloss is kind of speckly at close inspection, indicating it's actually a matte surface and shouldn't be too bad with fingerprints.
Agreed that it's impossible to tell what colour things are from photos without some (primitive or sophisticated) means of calibration. But I think that the black is a black because that is what azouls said it is!

Did you notice, that there are blue surfaces in the surroundings? And it seems to be a rather sunny day. I dare say you observed the effects of additive mixing.

Quite possibly, which is why I wrote that proviso in there. But good spot in any case.

Edit: And if so that's disappointing. I quite liked the look of something so dark blue that you could only tell it was blue by looking at the edges of the bright reflections.

On the upside, it's a pretty sturdy case, but it's also bulky and feels rough around the edges all around. It's odd. While the Pyra certainly does many things better than the Pandora, the Pandora felt more finished as a package.

I guess I am happier that way, I can pass my Pyra as a custom made device, and in this smartphone dominated era, almost no one will recognize it (especially outside Germany/Europe). I believe there will be no not-removable stickers saying Dragonbox Pyra on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back