See the heartbeat!

As you can see, the power button is transparent.
Guessing by the "non reaction" by everybody else, I am alone in finding that aesthetically unpleasing. Nevertheless, why did you decide on making it transparent ?
You can make it any color you like, as long as it isn't black. It's like a reverse model T :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older post from you in the back of my mind, where you stated that the action/face buttons will get an additional plastic coating. If I am not rembering it wrong, will this be transparent too, so the light shines through or won't the actions buttons be lit at all ?
Erm, please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that statement you refer to was from before the design of the keymat was changed so that every key got the same transparent plastic cap that was originally intended just for the action buttons.

-Neelix

You can make it any color you like, as long as it isn't black. It's like a reverse model T :)
*chuckles*

Oddly enough though you could apply to the same description the earliest Model T's themselves. :)

To quote Wikipedia:

However, in the first years of production from 1908 to 1913, the Model T was not available in black[25] but rather only grey, green, blue, and red. Green was available for the touring cars, town cars, coupes, and Landaulets. Grey was only available for the town cars, and red only for the touring cars. By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. It was only in 1914 that the "any color so long as it is black" policy was finally implemented.
:D

-Neelix

There is a rgb-led there. If the negative space is transparent there is a chance it will shine directly into your eyes. Same goes for the powersymbol i suppose.

Flipping the spaces is so that it stands out against the other buttons, but i imagined it as black symbol on white.

There is a rgb-led there. If the negative space is transparent there is a chance it will shine directly into your eyes. Same goes for the powersymbol i suppose.

Flipping the spaces is so that it stands out against the other buttons, but i imagined it as black symbol on white.
The button is not transparent, it's printed inverse (so there's half-transparent white on there).

It won't shine directly into your eyes and you can additionally change th brightness to barely visible.

Translucent is what it is :)

adjective

permitting light to pass through but diffusing it so that persons, objects, etc., on the opposite side are not clearly visible:
Frosted window glass is translucent but not transparent.

Erm, please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that statement you refer to was from before the design of the keymat was changed so that every key got the same transparent plastic cap that was originally intended just for the action buttons.
ah, ok then, move along, this isn't the keymat you have been looking for... :unsure:  

It seems to be a good place under which to hide an additional RB LED to me.
thanks captain obvious

The button is not transparent, it's printed inverse (so there's half-transparent white on there).
Why wasn't it an option to keep it like the rest, visibility ?

Because it is supposed to show the battery status and warn you before the battery is dead. Something that's easily overseen if the button only glows where the power label is.

This shall be a great solution, im looking forward for the first working and shining prototyphes :)

I hope you will show everything, like a Size comparasen whit a Pandora etc..

Because it is supposed to show the battery status and warn you before the battery is dead. Something that's easily overseen if the button only glows where the power label is.
I thought there were also 2 extra LEDs on the keyboard area, around the power button?

It's the other way around actually.    The battery status is easier to oversee if the whole button lights up, whereas it would be easier to overlook the low battery warning if only the symbol lights up. :)  

-Neelix

It's the other way around actually.    The battery status is easier to oversee if the whole button lights up, whereas it would be easier to overlook the low battery warning if only the symbol lights up. :)

-Neelix
Isn't English odd?  As a native English speaker I fully understand how "look" and "see" can get mixed up, and adding "over" to the front means something completely different.

I like that there will be a charge indicator behind the power button, and I think how it was done will work better than a mostly black power button.

I thought there were also 2 extra LEDs on the keyboard area, around the power button?
I think those are still there.  Look at the keymat pic and you should be able to see their locations.

2 MonthsTM you say?
So... how many years will it be 2 MonthsTM this time? My guess is at least one.
Well, I think this was a reference to how long the molds would take ( or moulds, for those Queen's English spellers out there) because EvilDragon mentioned that in the post, so that really will be two months. As to how long before the finished product is available; I was at one time hoping it might be around the end of this year, though of course that was optimistic, even last year when I was hoping that. However, it's still possible that production could start in the first quarter of next year and we could be getting our machines in the spring or early summer. One can always hope.

It's easy to overlook the subtleties of the English language, but thankfully our grammar overseers are here to help.

Back