See the heartbeat!

Keymat seems fine. But I still prefer separate ABXY buttons that are not part of the actual mat. So they could be easily swapped and could be made out of more durable material or have another shape than the rest of the keys. Still could be made transparent if needed but I don't even need illuminated ABXY buttons to be honest.
Keep in mind that every added part adds more to cost of the device than just the cost of the part itself. Those ABXY buttons on the Pandora likely cost a couple of cents each to produce, but the inventory management, individual placement (both the right A, B, X or Y key AND it's orientation and position) add up. I could see the net cost effect of each separate key cap being in the $1+ range.

The translucent key mat to handle back lighting is probably more expensive than standard materials, but by having everything but the Dpad plastic already pre-assembled in/on the single piece keymat will save production time and inventory management costs.

If you manage to 'wear out' the key caps on your game pad keys, then you've likely also worn out the rubber domes that would support them. To swap out any of it, you have to open the unit. May as well just drop in a new $20+/- keymat and have it all be like new. ED got it right. Getting rid of the individual key caps for the game buttons is a good thing.

A ten-layer PCB is not what I'd call a tiny board :)
I meant the measurements of course. ;)  And I thought it was switched to 10 instead of 8 layers to make it a little bit easier. And when companies claim that they can do it in a few days, they should make sure that they really CAN do that. 
Keep in mind that every added part adds more to cost of the device than just the cost of the part itself. Those ABXY buttons on the Pandora likely cost a couple of cents each to produce, but the inventory management, individual placement (both the right A, B, X or Y key AND it's orientation and position) add up. I could see the net cost effect of each separate key cap being in the $1+ range.
Sure it will be a little bit cheaper but that should not add much with such an expensive device like the Pyra will be. I personaly have no need to swap the buttons but to customize the Pyra in any way, such an separate solution is actualy prefered, instead of an unified keymat that has to be replaced completely if one button is broken.  And the ABXY buttons are one of the most stressed parts of an Gamepad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A ten-layer PCB is not what I'd call a tiny board :)
I meant the measurements of course. ;)  And I thought it was switched to 10 instead of 8 layers to make it a little bit easier. And when companies claim that they can do it in a few days, they should make sure that they really CAN do that.
Well, easier for the layout does not mean it's easier in production :)

Really awesome post, ED, thanks! So CPU is running code meaning the RAM works, plus USB works fully and LTE looks good. What is that board we see in the video - why not make the LEDs on the peripheral board flash if they too work?

Keyboard layout looks awesome. I hope I don't jinx this thread by asking - but that Shift on the right hand side, will that still be software left-shift like on Pandora, with the shoulder button being right shift?

But really, best news post for months, thanks again!

Nikolaus already has the LEDs on the peripheral boards blinking, he just hasn't made a video for the public yet.

The board you see in the video is the CPU board with some more stuff added so Nikolaus could test it without the mainboard attached (makes things easier :) )

And you're right about the Shift-Keys.

So what does the faulty boards do to add to the production costs? (Just curious as I'm trying to work out how much a final pyra will cost.)

So what does the faulty boards do to add to the production costs? (Just curious as I'm trying to work out how much a final pyra will cost.)
My guess nothing, these were prototype version of these boards and I'm sure neither ED or Nikolaus expected everything to work the first time. It working as much as it does now is a good thing. Just my 2 pesos.

Thanks for the update, ED!

Do I get this right, the whole part of the keymat which is hidden under the plastic is painted black? Doesn't this raise the costs?

Yes, it's painted black so that only the letters and symbols glow.

Doesn't add much to the cost, as the letters need to be printed on anyways :)

Just a small utopic idea, if the hidden spaces of the mat wouldn't be painted black but silver, would light be more likely reflected towards the letters?

This way the LEDs could be run with less power. Then again I guess mirroring paint also raises the costs...

Light is usualy guided inside of the transparent material, it should not matter if the outside is painted black.

"I see a red door and I want it painted black..." :D

Does that mean we've got a total of five RGB LEDs?

One under the power button

One on each side of the power button

Two in the lid logo

Well, the mould for the keymat is already in production and will be finished within this month....
I have an older post from you in the back of my mind, where you stated that the action/face buttons will get an additional plastic coating. If I am not rembering it wrong, will this be transparent too, so the light shines through or won't the actions buttons be lit at all ?
As you can see, the power button is transparent.
Guessing by the "non reaction" by everybody else, I am alone in finding that aesthetically unpleasing. Nevertheless, why did you decide on making it transparent ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back