Everdrive GB: What are "Mappers" and what is the "save RAM" option for?

tarator

Very Active Member
I'm the happy owner of an Everdrive GB (Model ED-GB V1.2 with OS version 4; not the newer X-Versions).
I'm using it with my GameBoy Pocket.

Just out of curiosity: What are those Mapper-settings for? (You can choose between MBC1, MBC2, MBC3, MBC5 and ROM)

I have the "Save RAM"-Option activated, but what is it for? Is there a possibility to save the RAM during playing (this would make sense)? I can't figure out any difference between having this option on or off.
The only difference is, that it saves the RAM when changing the ROM. But this doesn't make much sense IMHO.

I don't know in relation to the ever drive, but the MBC numbers refer to Gameboy cart circuits that allow the Gameboy to have games larger than 64KB by bank switching ram.

I assume Save RAM is for those games that have internal save support? It'll mean you can resume your game at a later time

I don't know in relation to the ever drive, but the MBC numbers refer to Gameboy cart circuits that allow the Gameboy to have games larger than 64KB by bank switching ram.

Ok, thanks.

I assume Save RAM is for those games that have internal save support? It'll mean you can resume your game at a later time

I thought that too, but savegames even if I turn this option off.

At a guess from the wording, perhaps save RAM gives you something more like savestates than save games.

I was also hoping for something similar. But unfortunately I doesn't know how to achieve this... (How to make a savestate during playing a game). the only way to get back to the Everdrive-OS is to turn the Gameboy off and on again...

Back