Evil Dragon On The German Tv

No, that section (from what I picked up with the basic german I know) they were talking about PSP homebrew, and how although it has a 3d accelerator, this one is more powerful, and some other stuff, on how sony is preventing the homebrew while gamepark holdings promotes it. I think thats what was said (as I can remember from last night, im dling the videos, so ill watch again)

EDIT: Can someone do subtitles, or what program can I use to play an xvid file with the subtitles provided, as they dont work with media player classic. Im gunna try vlc now.

EDIT2: NVM, VLC works great.

EDIT3: BAH, cansomeone do subtitles for the rest of video 1, and maybe the other 3? That would be AWESOME!!!!

I think I speak for many many people when I say:

I thought ED would be taller. :) also glad to see you get the oppoertunity to be on TV and help spread the word!

Actually I sent Ed the 3D demo running a payback map some weeks ago and didn't really explain what it was. It just happened to use that map as it was easy to load since the format is open via the amiga editor, you can just scroll about the map.

It is just an example at the moment to show commercial devs what can be done.

-Craig

But why Payback? You could have done anything for a demo. Quake or an original demo of a similar type game etc.

To do this demo you would have to have access to the engine, art, models and level maps. Since only the original devs have that stuff ,why would they go this far, do that much work, get it running that close and then stop. That doesn't make sense. If they got that far they might as well finish the port and make a few bucks.

Or it could be coded from scratch. If it was coded from scratch that would be ALOT of work to do a simple "demo" that would never be used for anything else after it was shown around to a couple of devs. If you were going to do that much work on an engine and art you would think you would do a new demo that could actually be made into something. This couldn't ever obviously be made into something saleable because you wouldn't have the rights to use the art etc.

HHMMMmm. Some flummery going on.

gladi stopped by to check the news page!
well done, ED! great interview\appearance :D

edit:
wow, german gaming tv is so much better than the stuff here! you guys were just going on and on about all this homebrew stuff.

they were answering questions from peeps on their forums. Most noobs compared the GP2X to PSP (for whatever reason. IT DOES NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE A PSP) due to homebrew/size/design. The Moderator said that the PSP is not as good for homebrew as the PSP, due to the firmware hacking thingy. ED also mentioned that the GP2X is smaller in size as the PSP and the design was ready before the PSP was designed.

EDIT: meh. Ignore this. I was answering a post on page 4. thought that was the last post.

But why Payback? You could have done anything for a demo. Quake or an original demo of a similar type game etc.
Quake(and many other FPS) is not allowed to be shown in german TV. Stupid german censors ! :angry:

Exactly.

It was the same confusion we had two years ago with Resident Evil.
(Remember the Demo for the GP32? You can find it here)

We (and GIGA) also thought at first it was a demo of a commercial game, however, it just turned out to be a techdemo. (They also mentioned this incident again at the show ;))

The same happened here, sorry about that.
I was pretty tired (had a 6 hours train ride behind me) and so this confusion happened.

Just look at the screenshots again: I can do nothing but run around, there is no mission text etc., like there would be if it would be the actual game.

Who knows, maybe some commercial developers get the idea that good commercial games can be ported to the gp2x :)

I guess it's best to re-encode the videos without the Demo part to prevent more confusion in case somebody downloads this in the near future.

I guess it's best to re-encode the videos without the Demo part to prevent more confusion in case somebody downloads this in the near future.

I'm working on it. Sorry for the trouble, Ed :(

sbock posted on Feb 3 2006 at 05:45 PM said:

I'm working on it. Sorry for the trouble, Ed :(

No trouble at all, just some confusion.
Stuff happens.

Maybe I should've shown some screens running Duke Nuke'em Forever on the gp2x, haha :)

Last edited:
Fishbong posted on Feb 3 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
ED, why didn´t you show the NeoGeo emu? Its the most impressive piece of software the GP2x has to offer right now IMO...

Because I didn't have enough time to prepare my card.
Unfortunately, my computer had a very nasty rootkit the day before and I needed to reinstall it until 5 am... :(

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 3 2006 at 11:04 AM said:
Fishbong posted on Feb 3 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
ED, why didn´t you show the NeoGeo emu? Its the most impressive piece of software the GP2x has to offer right now IMO...

Unfortunately, my computer had a very nasty rootkit the day before and I needed to reinstall it until 5 am... :(
Sony's Rootkit or another one?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Feb 3 2006 at 03:34 AM said:
Actually I sent Ed the 3D demo running a payback map some weeks ago and didn't really explain what it was. It just happened to use that map as it was easy to load since the format is open via the amiga editor, you can just scroll about the map.

It is just an example at the moment to show commercial devs what can be done.

-Craig
Any chance you could upload this, or at least give some sort of info on who did this. Was this a homebrew release or was this a techdemo from a company?

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on Feb 3 2006 at 09:52 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 3 2006 at 11:04 AM said:
Sony's Rootkit or another one?

A totally new one. No Anti-Rootkit software could fix it.
It hid all the files starting with Q on the harddisk and a lot of other random files...

Last edited:
I've just jumped through those 4 hires videos, and I have to say I'm impressed with the GP2X. Mine should be here in the next few days, and I don't have a clue what to play.
Awsome work on the show ED, I wish we had something like that here (I can't actually name any computer game/technology shows that are still on the air here).

BTW, I have a sneaky suspicion that the guy in the white shirt fancied you ;)

Back