Exposed SD?

ZetaNeta

Some human beings have said that they want full size SD because if you take away a MicroSD... it will be gone forewer. (I, as a owner of 3 non-stop tortured ARM devboards disagree with that)

I am voting to have the SD cards, being placed below the console, under a easily removable cover.
This prevents the cards of for ex. being removed by accident. (I had a sad story once on a bridge :( )
Are the ~12 seconds of removing the small cover (not under the battery, but accessible on the go) worth exposing the card to the outside all the time?
How often do you plan to replace the cards? I am sure not that often.

Current plan is to have two full-sized SD card slots available in the front, and an internal eMMC that can be toggled to use an uSD card slot on the bottom(most likely in the battery compartment) instead if you want to use that instead for OS storage.

The Pandora has been doing this for years with no ill affects.. The real issue is constant insertion, uSD sockets are not meant for repetitive insertions that full sized SD sockets can handle..

On the Pandora I swap between Cards frequently, I have a Slackware SD card, two 32GB ones filled with games. Two SD cards dedicated to an Android bootup.. Plus I have two other Pandora(s) I swap data between often.. so yeah a lot.

Also I don't quite get why you think it's exposed.. the SD card slides inside the case flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're talking about the microSD, most of us already support keeping it below the battery, so it will be covered. IF you are talking about the SDs on the bottom of the system, I have never had an SD accidentally eject on either my Pandora or my GP2X. On the Pandora, the SD slot was specifically inset so that you couldn't force an eject unless you were specifically making an effort to.

Also, I have ~10 SD cards, so I'd say I replace them decently often.

-God Ginrai

Current plan is to have two full-sized SD card slots available in the front, and an internal eMMC that can be toggled to use an uSD card slot on the bottom(most likely in the battery compartment) instead if you want to use that instead for OS storage.

The Pandora has been doing this for years with no ill affects.. The real issue is constant insertion, uSD sockets are not meant for repetitive insertions that full sized SD sockets can handle..

On the Pandora I swap between Cards frequently, I have a Slackware SD card, two 32GB ones filled with games. Two SD cards dedicated to an Android bootup.. Plus I have two other Pandora(s) I swap data between often.. so yeah a lot.

Also I don't quite get why you think it's exposed.. the SD card slides inside the case flush.
I would personally pay more (maybe a 100 more euros) if it would support mSATA drives...

Only now i got why the people want full size SD, want 2 of them, and want to swap them constantly..... i could not imagine why i would do it so often.

You cant imagine how often you can find a corner, on which the device will fall, and the corner will hit "like a pro" with a exact angle, in exact position...... This happens VERY often to me.

If you're talking about the microSD, most of us already support keeping it below the battery, so it will be covered. IF you are talking about the SDs on the bottom of the system, I have never had an SD accidentally eject on either my Pandora or my GP2X. On the Pandora, the SD slot was specifically inset so that you couldn't force an eject unless you were specifically making an effort to.

Also, I have ~10 SD cards, so I'd say I replace them decently often.

-God Ginrai
Well.... Same as i said. Some tables are pros at making life hard.

o.o 10? /me hardly reaches even 10 gigs on his portable devices......

You cant imagine how often you can find a corner, on which the device will fall, and the corner will hit "like a pro" with a exact angle, in exact position...... This happens VERY often to me.

The Pandora is my expensive baby, I don't drop it... or let anyone else touch it.

Well, like I said, the inset slot makes it impossible for tables to do this to you. It's too thin for the corner of a table to fit.

Also, not all 10 of my cards are high capacity. I have like 1 512 MB, 4 1GBs, 2 2GBs, and then 2 16GBs and a 32GB.

-God Ginrai

The Pandora is my expensive baby, I don't drop it... or let anyone else touch it.
Reality disagree.

Well, like I said, the inset slot makes it impossible for tables to do this to you. It's too thin for the corner of a table to fit.

Also, not all 10 of my cards are high capacity. I have like 1 512 MB, 4 1GBs, 2 2GBs, and then 2 16GBs and a 32GB.

-God Ginrai
If the hole is bigger than 0.5mm, my table will hit it the first time.

Oh... I have a 4gb card for 1 board, 4 for mp3 player, and 16 for the main ARM server.

But for the Pyra, i am going for the maximum possible, as i am going to replace both my mp3 and and desktop with Pyra.

There is no room for mSATA (where would you put the drive?). I'm still in favor of having a USB+eSATA port, but it looks like we won't get it.

I guess there should be a cover in front. I don't see the need to move the cards tho.

I would personally pay more (maybe a 100 more euros) if it would support mSATA drives...
I wouldn't. It's fine already with the eMMC+uSD combo.

Reality disagree.

So you disagree that I baby my Pandora and never drop it or you disagree that I never let anyone touch it? Because I'm pretty sure I do both as it's my device..

I guess there should be a cover in front. I don't see the need to move the cards tho.
It doesn't need a F'ing cover, this was never an issue on the Pandora. Do you 30GB of PSX Iso's that can fit on a 16GB eMMC? And let see what else is in my collection that takes up Gigabytes worth of data.. The Pandora only has 512MB of OS storage.

There is no room for mSATA (where would you put the drive?). I'm still in favor of having a USB+eSATA port, but it looks like we won't get it.
I would prefer a bigger console instead. The console looks too tiny anyway. Are we copying nds here? I hope not.

(eSATA? Someone still uses this?)

I wouldn't. It's fine already with the eMMC+uSD combo.
Erm... didnt really think about it. I thought more of "push" socket. (Like LGA for a CPU socket, or like modern Sim-card sockets)

Well, mSATA isnt that critical for me anyway.

Reality disagree.

So you disagree that I baby my Pandora and never drop it or you disagree that I never let anyone touch it? Because I'm pretty sure I do both as it's my device..

It doesn't need a F'ing cover, this was never an issue on the Pandora. Do you 30GB of PSX Iso's that can fit on a 16GB eMMC? And let see what else is in my collection that takes up Gigabytes worth of data.. The Pandora only has 512MB of OS storage.
The first one.

Buy bigger cards = Swap them less often.

The first one.
I own three Pandora(s) my First Batch one is four years old now and never dropped or abused it in any way.. Every laptop I've owned still works fine, Still have all my game consoles dating back to the Atari 2600 in working order. I treat my electronic devices well. Not to mention the SD card being "exposed" and ejecting SD cards out on every bump is some bit of fiction that you're making up without ever owning a Pandora which the Pyra will have the same SD socket design and placement.

I carry around a slew of 32GBs, which carries the majority of what I need.. but that doesn't change the fact I need separate SD cards for running different OSs outside what is installed onto the internal NAND like Slackware and Android.

The first one.
I own three Pandora(s) my First Batch one is four years old now and never dropped or abused it in any way.. Every laptop I've owned still works fine, Still have all my game consoles dating back to the Atari 2600 in working order. I treat my electronic devices well. Not to mention the SD card being "exposed" and ejecting SD cards out on every bump is some bit of fiction that you're making up without ever owning a Pandora which the Pyra will have the same SD socket design and placement.

I carry around a slew of 32GBs, which carries the majority of what I need.. but that doesn't change the fact I need separate SD cards for running different OSs outside what is installed onto the internal NAND like Slackware and Android.
Let me guess... you found out how to control them without touching them?

I will get 128 gb ones.

Let me guess again.... you dont know how to make multiboot on arm?

I own three Pandora(s) my First Batch one is four years old now and never dropped or abused it in any way
I own three Pandoras and have dropped them all many times. I dropped my 1Ghz (again) just last night after plugging it in to charge, in fact. My original landed directly on its L-trigger once which subsequently broke (still clicks and everything, just doesn't do anything) and the screen shattered on my 1Ghz (for which I replaced with the screen from my CC) but otherwise they are all still in surprisingly good shape. My 1Ghz is starting to show some scratches and the paint has come away at the corners where I rest my palms and fingers but nothing that would compromise integrity of the thing itself. It holds up to a surprising amount of abuse.What were we talking about again?

I use at least one of them every day, I just know how to set it down nicely and not throw it across the room. What do you do run around with your devices with one hand and scissors in the other?

Let me guess you like thinking you know everything? , I know how to make a u-boot multiboot setup, I prefer having a separate SD cards.

Also the Pyra WILL have Front SD cards like the Pandora.. so live with it.

this I believe would be considered the largest you would ever want something like the pandora, and still remain vaguely pocketable

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/01/30/sony_vaio_pcg_u3_umpc/ 

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/PCG-U3/feat1_master.html

anything larger would be a netbook IMO and might as well go with a somewhat normal sized keyboard and a 10" display because it won't fit in your pocket anyway and you would just be hindering your experience for the sake of doing it rather than for a purpose of being able to technically fit in your pocket.

I use at least one of them every day, I just know how to set it down nicely and not throw it across the room. What do you do run around with your devices with one hand and scissors in the other?

Let me guess you like thinking you know everything? , I know how to make a u-boot multiboot setup, I prefer having a separate SD cards.

Also the Pyra WILL have Front SD cards like the Pandora.. so live with it.
Ok, ok, no more objections!

I would prefer a bigger console instead. The console looks too tiny anyway. Are we copying nds here? I hope not.
How much bigger would you want it? Small netbook size?
0.5-1 cm wider and few mm deeper.

Absolutely far from what SNESFAN said, and quite close to what Natsu said... But not really exactly.

It looks so thick and so small same time... It makes you wish to make it maybe half a cm wider, atleast to make it look less like "1 and a half" nds. (Atleast what i saw in test renders of it) ^_^

Yet, i still see possible space for a mSATA without changing sizes. Hoping this is not a illusion.

Back