External USB Keyboard

klapse

Central Scrutinizer
Hi. I tried attaching an external USB keyboard to both the full-size and mini USB port. Neither showed a usb device with lsusb. I also tried enabling usb host and this did not help.

Do I need to attach a usb 2.0 hub between keyboard and pandora? Or is the pandora kernel missing some modules? Any help is very welcome, thanks!

There should be no problem with kernel modules (most of the normal ones are there), but I believe that the USB software system crashes if you connect a USB 1.1/1.0 device to the full size socket, or if you connect a hub with nothing downstream of it

To fix this, either try connecting your keyboard to the mini port (if you can find a mini-A plug (rare)*, or plug your keyboard into your (USB 2.0) hub, then your hub into your pandora's full-size port, in both cases after a fresh reboot, with USB host turned ON.

* it is possible to force the miniUSB port into host mode, but I can't remember how. using a hub is probably easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a fullsize USB to Mini-A adapter cable and tried connecting the keyboard to it. I had hoped the Mini USB port would support usb 1.1 keyboards.

Now I ordered a powered hub. Couldnt find a powered hub that ran off batteries on amazon.

for reference, there is more info here:

Based on my reading, the mini port should support a keyboard, but one user mentioned he needed to solder a pin to ground on his adapter cable. Not sure if I should try that.

You won't need a powered hub for just a Keyboard. Keyboards generally don't draw much power. If you were using something like an external harddrive sure..

I *still* would love to see a track point in the P2... But I doubt it will happen.

I'm pretty sure what we have in the ICP2 will be the extent of our input options.

The pandora already has a "trackpoint" called "left nub". There is no need (or space) for an additional pointing device wedged into the keyboard. The P2 should also feature nubs, so you're all-set.

I am typing this on a Lenovo thinkpad USB keyboard WITH WORKING TRACKPOINT pointer control!
I still finding it kind of strange the adapter you bought did not work - it seemed to work for the one who suggested it (and the adapters descciption clearly states that it supports USB1.1 devices)

The pandora already has a "trackpoint" called "left nub".
[misterknowitallmode]

As I'm a very fond user of trackpoints (just great to keep the "flow" going, if you can leave both hands on the keyboard), If have to disagree, comparing a trackpoint with a nub is like comparing apples with oranges.

[/misterknowitallmode]

Having a real trackpoint in the P2 would sure be nice, but would be at least at the end (if even there at all) on most peoples wishlist for the Pandora 2

Edit: forgot the "upper part"

I'm also vivid user and a big fan of Lenovo USB Keyboard with Trackpoint. I enjoy the fact that you don't have to put your hands off the kbd too, makes me faster and more efficient. In my experience the best trackpoints were on the old IBM products, Lenovo feels slightly less good but still best in the class imho. I.e. HP and Dell trackpoints didn't grew to my heart and finger too much.

I can't imagine what could be the benefit of having additional trackpoint on P2 apart from maybe better mouse pointing response. Still think that trackpoint makes sense on the full sized keyboard where you make use of standby finger position (pointer fingers on F and J keys).

Back to the topic, I use successfully Lenovo USB Keyboard with Trackpoint (+ other periphery) with this non-powered USB 2.0 hub.

Oh, this reminds me that I should also test an USB hub with switchable ports and USB ethernet adapter I have at home for a few months. Will report it back.

Thanks to this topic, I am using a USB keyboard with Pandora happily through USB mini port, with a minor problem.

If Pandora goes suspend/resume, USB device is disconnected and does not com back again.

Does anybody experience this problem and know how to work around this? As far as I tried, only rebooting the system solves this.

Disconnecting and disconnecting USB cable, or "Disable/Enable USB-host" from the bottom tool bar doesn't help.

This doesn't happen if a keyboard is connected to the full sized USB port with a USB 2.0 hub.

Thanks to this topic, I am using a USB keyboard with Pandora happily through USB mini port, with a minor problem.

If Pandora goes suspend/resume, USB device is disconnected and does not com back again.

Does anybody experience this problem and know how to work around this? As far as I tried, only rebooting the system solves this.

Disconnecting and disconnecting USB cable, or "Disable/Enable USB-host" from the bottom tool bar doesn't help.

This doesn't happen if a keyboard is connected to the full sized USB port with a USB 2.0 hub.

I ran into this problem myself, seems the USB OTG port doesn't wake up properly from standby. There is a workaround. Open a terminal window and type:

Code:
[SIZE=18px]sudo rmmod g_cdc

sudo modprobe g_cdc[/SIZE]

The first instruction removes the offending module. It will probably complain that the module wasn't found, but I've still found that stage to be necessary.

The second command should bring the module back again, restoring your USB OTG functionality.

Generally, I've found once I've entered these commands, the port functions properly, and I only need to enter those commands again after a reboot. Hopefully this'll get fixed in the firmware.

It will be corrected in next firmware update.

Yes, of course it can be manually tweaked.

Thank you Loonie,

I was just reading this topic you posted, and now my pandora works perfect with USB.

I also put "rmmod/modprobe g_cdc" in the op_usbhost.sh like below.

Code:
# This script simply toggles USB Host on or off.

cd /

if [ "`lsmod | grep ehci_hcd`" ]

then

notify-send -u normal "USB" "USB Host is being disabled..." -i /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/devices/usbpendrive_unmount.png

rmmod ehci-hcd

rmmod g_cdc

else

notify-send -u normal "USB" "USB Host is being enabled..." -i /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/devices/usbpendrive_unmount.png

modprobe ehci-hcd

modprobe g_cdc

fi

Back