F-day

Johndifo posted on May 23 2005 at 08:47 AM said:
And MS-DOS emulation is also missing, although I dont see many exciting reasons for doing so.

How dare you speak of such things. What next people will be wanting to run Windows 3.1 on their GP32.

Give me a break, who would want to run any Microsoft APP on a GP is just stupid.

Linux is here to rule, sorry but I take offence that any one would mention DOS.

Why don't you try to learn some thing new!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tattooman posted on May 23 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
And MS-DOS emulation is also missing, although I dont see many exciting reasons for doing so.

How dare you speak of such things. What next people will be wanting to run Windows 3.1 on their GP32.

Give me a break, who would want to run any Microsoft APP on a GP is just stupid.

That's right!
Oh also, VMU is missing :lol:
I read a topic by somebody who planned on making one, though :blink:
Elseways, I think the development on emulators should be aimed not on making new ones, but improving the old. And of course the scene won't die down because of new games and Linux ;) (The last is written just to remove any type of questions about the GP scene dying down...)

tattooman posted on May 23 2005 at 05:13 PM said:

You should think twice before posting your agressive dumb sentences.

When I started using MS-DOS, it was MS-DOS 2, it was running on a 4.77 Mhz 8088 with 256k RAM, 640x400/320x200 CGA 16 colors mode (black and green monitor).

Year 1987, yes I'm talking about MS-DOS, MS-DOS is not Windows. Its weak, but it runs on very low spec systems, thats why it was a sucessful OS, MS-DOS stealed the PC game from IBM that alone its History.

I had a lot of fun with "Cyrus Chess", sierra adventure games, Elite.

And

I dare to believe thats POSSIBLE on GP32

Yeah, there is still a lot of progression margin available for MAME, for starters.. franxis is doing a great job and it already supports approx 800 games, if I'm not in mistake, but there are probably WAY more that could be supported yet.

SNES still needs a LOT of work on it, Genesis/Megadrive is going VERY well but there's still minor things to be fixed, not to say games that aren't working on it yet and could be - I think WarmFluffyUK's compatibility lists will be quite handy for emu devvers (check it out on http://www.berzerk.co.uk/gp32) coz it should have a list of non-working games which could be helpful for the devvers to find out what's still missing or going wrong. We're thinking of upgrading that list to more and more systems gradually - any definitive rom lists for systems emulated by the GP32 would be appreciated - and eventually get a good TOP to match gp32spain's and more accurate.

And of course, people have referred to atari lynx and bandai's very own wonderswan - they do need quite a lot of work yet - wonderswan doesn't even have sound yet - and a lot of other systems could need some work / support for more games yet as well, and there's those older systems for which there aren't even any emulators yet - such as many 70s and 80s systems that most people never heard of and could make out interesting entries to future competitions. Just check one of the several pages about console history and just count and pick'em.

Everyone's dream would surely be Amiga and MS-DOS emulation, but I don't know how possible that would be, but don't forget MAME was a dream until not too long ago too!!! Maybe it just requires some good programmers working on it and cooperating. But these two would be the ultimate challenge, I would even suggest there would be a compo for that with good prizes and a six month long deadline or something that could encourage teams (so there wouldn't be battle over the prizes if there was only one) and see what people could come out with! Anyone would second that suggestion? AMIGA AND MS-DOS EMULATION CODING COMPO FOR GP32 support group :p

It won't be over any soon, I guess, unless most people abandon the GP32 scene.
On the other hand, with people such as franxis, ryleh and reesy (not including many others and I apologise for not including but would be a very long list) which have been working so hard for all of us, the GP32ers, and with incentives such as the many coding compos around and the clicks4devs' project, as well as the private donations many of us do to those hard working people, there will still be interest. And don't forget the GP32 will be OFFICIALLY launched this month in Portugal - my country -, Spain and France by Virgin (and I'd expect other countries will follow) so there'll be a lot of new blood coming to the scene soon. We just gotta steer them to the right way.

Last but not the least, we could all try to contribute to the scene, I am a total illiterate on coding but am gonna start learning in a couple of months' time, and emulation is definitely - although the most widely appreciated - goal for the GP32, but not the only one. There are tons of good games, possible ports, apps (Flash and PDF support are still small babies, for instance). Just think about it!

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to leave my opinion :D

PS: fDAY will ROCK

exael posted on May 23 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
And don't forget the GP32 will be OFFICIALLY launched this month in Portugal - my country -, Spain and France by Virgin (and I'd expect other countries will follow) so there'll be a lot of new blood coming to the scene soon. We just gotta steer them to the right way.

What ? Official launch in France ??? Are you sure ? Was not aware of that, though French. (Spain launch was a long time ago though) But if we get official launch, I will buy a new BLU to get next to my FLU ...

tattooman posted on May 23 2005 at 05:13 PM said:

That is SOOOOO retarded ...

Ms-Dos emu would rock, because there are Tons of cool applications and games designed for Ms-Dos (or any other DOS-like system BTW, FreeDos or PC-Dos to name a few)

And anyway Linux is bullshit, it can't even recognize half of the hardware involved in my Laptop ( Fatal error when trying to recognize the HD IDE controler, that sure is bad) , whereas XP work flawless on it.

and tell my why someone willing to use a MS software on his GP32 would be stupid ?
I just don't really get the point ? Do you mean that like 98% of people using computers in the world are stupid or what ? That's just retarded .

And anyway, if someone want a Windows port on his/her GP32 that's far from stupid if they use it for some purpose ...

Basically you can't really judge a OS only from the OS point of view, you need to see what software you run on it and sorry to differ from you on this point, but having games such as old aventure games (like Mortville's Manor, Sierra games) running on a GP32 would rock . (some of them already work using the ST version, though Mortville Manor sound is awful under Castaway and Pituka (for the CPC version) so not really fun to play then)

Qingdan posted on May 23 2005 at 07:24 PM said:
exael posted on May 23 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
And don't forget the GP32 will be OFFICIALLY launched this month in Portugal - my country -, Spain and France by Virgin (and I'd expect other countries will follow) so there'll be a lot of new blood coming to the scene soon. We just gotta steer them to the right way.

What ? Official launch in France ??? Are you sure ? Was not aware of that, though French. (Spain launch was a long time ago though) But if we get official launch, I will buy a new BLU to get next to my FLU ...

Well I read about it recently, so I ain't sure. I also live in Portugal which is supposedly one of the countries and haven't seen anything about it yet.

This is kind of going off-topic, but we need a ZZT interpreter. The large selection and variety of games available at z2 would make it one of the best homebrews for the GP32. It should be easy since there is documentation on the ZZT world format and the game is ASCII-based so theres no problem with speed or something. Maybe I'll try making an interpreter..

Maybe once almost all of what is possible to emulate on gp32 is done, the emu coders would form a super team and optimize the hell out of opensnes... :rolleyes:
But if it did happen, it'd be cool...

moz posted on May 23 2005 at 06:00 PM said:
Squidge posted on May 23 2005 at 04:49 PM said:
I'm still here, but I'm not working on any gp32 stuff at the moment, simply due to the fact that my gp32 is toasted at the moment from a slight accident :(
was a pencil involved?

Nope, I was doing some SMC hacking whilst doing my SMC->SD adaptor project (making 512mb of storage available to gp32 applications). However, my gp32 didn't seem to like one of my modifications and hasn't worked again since.

I'm not going to spend £100 on another GP32, so I think I'll just let it R.I.P.

Now now, let's not start a windows / non-windows fanboyism war thingy here.
MS-DOS is not windows. It may have microsoft written on it, but there's still a LOT of very nice DOS games, like King's Quest for example. Personally, I would VERY much like to get a MS-DOS emulator that can run adlib trackers. :) (Subzero's Adlib Track3r mostly) The only problem is the OPL2 emulation. I mean, we can use MAME's, but there's some really weirdo liscence stuff with it, like having to release the source or whatever, I dunno.

But that's just me. :)

onionfrog posted on May 23 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
Maybe once almost all of what is possible to emulate on gp32 is done, the emu coders would form a super team and optimize the hell out of opensnes... :rolleyes:

We need to have a comp for Osnes9x, winner being who makes the best 0.4 version. Then give them the next 6 months of dev clicks and the winnings from a donation pool(accepting paypal/check/moneyorder) while the competition is underway.

Also, the person that ports Ultima7 first gets the keys to my car.

stop talking about dos, this is not possible. Just see the DosBox, it needs at least a 1ghz processor to play games as prince of persia.. So if you find another way to emulate dos than to emulate dos itself... :p

reaper79 posted on May 23 2005 at 08:43 PM said:
onionfrog posted on May 23 2005 at 03:13 PM said:

Also, the person that ports Ultima7 first gets the keys to my car.

What's your car ... ? :rolleyes:

JaqMs posted on May 23 2005 at 09:11 PM said:
This is kind of going off-topic, but we need a ZZT interpreter. The large selection and variety of games available at z2 would make it one of the best homebrews for the GP32. It should be easy since there is documentation on the ZZT world format and the game is ASCII-based so theres no problem with speed or something. Maybe I'll try making an interpreter..
Shouldn't be too hard to create an gp32-ZZT interpreter...
There are some open source ZZT interpreters available for "inspiration" such as:

ZZT++ a C++ based ZZT recreation
glZZT a OpenGL based ZZT interpreter
libZZT a quite new (no releases yet) library to allow loading, saving and running of world files for ZZT

Nope, I was doing some SMC hacking whilst doing my SMC->SD adaptor project (making 512mb of storage available to gp32 applications). However, my gp32 didn't seem to like one of my modifications and hasn't worked again since.

I'm not going to spend £100 on another GP32, so I think I'll just let it R.I.P.

Well I'll put up a tenner if anyone else wants to start a little collection to ensure Squidge keeps coding for the gp32_console. Besides, if I understand what you were trying to achieve when you killed yours you deserve one :)

And tattooman, you really are an angry fellow aren't you (and a bit of dick too)

Back