Face-off: Pandora Vs. Wiz Release Date

Which console will be officially released to the public first?

• Wiz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frogboy

Wake me when it's over.
Website
Visit site
In this corner...wearing black and red trunks...weighing in at 136 grams...the Wiz! <crowd cheers>
And in this corner...wearing the all black trunks...weighing in at, ~300 grams...Pandora! <crowd cheers again>

Ready........FIGHT!

I haven't been able to find this one anywhere and there is a good chance that no one will even see this in the off topic section but there really isn't anywhere else to put this that wouldn't generate a bias.

Edit: It's Ready...Fight not And...Fight you moron (speaking to myself)
Edit 2: Corrected Pandora's weight. Thanks mali.

I think the Pandora will make it out First. Play Asia has the Wiz at a February 2009 release. And The pandora should be in People's hand in January 2009 from what has been said here on the forums.

And I probably end up getting both the Pandora and the Wiz sooner or later.

if pandora DOESN'T get released before the wiz i can assure you there will be a large amount of angry people

I'm guessing Wiz ships out first solely based on the fact that they have the hardware ready. They just need the GUI for the OS. Of course they are using Flash for this so it could go either way.

PoisonedV said:
if pandora DOESN'T get released before the wiz i can assure you there will be a large amount of angry people
Neither launched before Playstation Home. How embarrassing. :eek:

Just messing with ya. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting a wiz, now, too, so I don't mind either way as long as it's SOON for one of them

Frogboy said:
In this corner...wearing black and red trunks...weighing in at 136 grams...the Wiz! <crowd cheers>
And in this corner...wearing the all black trunks...weighing in at,
MWeston said:
I was finally able to get access to one of those little scales to weigh a complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case). It weighed 270 grams and I would expect the final unit to be a bit more, so lets say 300 grams would be a decent maximum estimate. The lid with LCD and speakers was 80 grams.

...Pandora! <crowd cheers again>

And........FIGHT!

My bet is for the Wiz to release first. The hardware is finalized and the software is being polished. Even if Pandora had all its parts ready for assembly it would still take 3 - 4 weeks before it could ship. Figure 4 - 7 days for all the parts to be shipped from various locations and arrive at the assembly plant. 3 - 4 days for assembly possibly more depending on the amount to be manufactured. 4 - 7 days to ship the finished Pandoras back to the Pandora Team. 4 - 7 more days for testing and installing additional software. Then shipped to customers. Your really looking at a good additonal month when Pandora is ready for manufacturing. December and January are already out. February is the best anyone can hope for.

I'm taking a pass on the Wiz for the first 6 months or so, but at this point I have no doubt that it will ship before the Pandora. I understand the reason for all the delays, but it's still pretty disappointing.

My thinking is the wiz will be out on the market first. Right now I have more faith in GPH's schedule than OP after the no paypal/credit card refund/no re-order fiasco. Also GPH have delivered complete dev units and shown photos of a complete unit with the new dpad. OP cant even produce a photo and are still using renders...

I ordered a pnadora though ;)

With the regards to the thread title, even if the preorder Pandos shipped before the Wiz, I wouldn't classify it as being "on the market". It's not like it would be in stock, available for purchase. It's still made strictly to order, whereas I imagine when the Wiz is released, GPH will be shipping out thousands of Wizzes (what's the plural of Wiz? Wizzes? Wizzi? Wizs? Maybe I should start a new thread about this *cough*) to be bought on the market.

Not sure why I'm writing this.. just a thought :)

Edit: cleanup

quartercast said:
(what's the plural of Wiz? Wizzes? Wizzi? Wizs? Maybe I should start a new thread about this *cough*)

I think it would be "Wizes". Although I like the sound of "Wizzi".

I still think that the Pandora (which I ordered) will probably be shipped before the Wiz (which I did not order).

P.S. It's funny how the % of people who think the Pandora will be out first and the % who ordered only a Pandora is exactly identical (58.49%, 31 votes). I wonder if this means that everyone who picked one option also picked the other, or if there's some crossover.

is there finally _one_ working, full prototype of the pandora??
For the WIZ the final hardware is there. They're tweaking software, only.

quartercast said:
With the regards to the thread title, even if the preorder Pandos shipped before the Wiz, I wouldn't classify it as being "on the market". It's not like it would be in stock, available for purchase. It's still made strictly to order, whereas I imagine when the Wiz is released, GPH will be shipping out thousands of Wizzes (what's the plural of Wiz? Wizzes? Wizzi? Wizs? Maybe I should start a new thread about this *cough*) to be bought on the market.

Not sure why I'm writing this.. just a thought :)
You're right but that really wasn't the intention of this poll. It was mainly just wondering which one everyone thought would be completed and finalized first.

Esn said:
P.S. It's funny how the % of people who think the Pandora will be out first and the % who ordered only a Pandora is exactly identical (58.49%, 31 votes). I wonder if this means that everyone who picked one option also picked the other, or if there's some crossover.
Mine crossed over. I think that the Wiz will ship first but I intend to order Pandora, which was kind of why I threw the second poll up there. Most people probably picked the same for both although there are currently 14 votes for either Both or None that could go either way.

KungPhoo said:
is there finally _one_ working, full prototype of the pandora??
No full prototype that we are aware of yet. I'm guessing this place will blow up when they do.

KungPhoo said:
For the WIZ the final hardware is there. They're tweaking software, only.
Shame that they insist on going with Flash for the GUI. It's obvious that most people would rather have GMenu. They'd have the Wiz already on the market if they'd just gone that direction.

Maybe Flash will play a more important role than just for GUI presentation. Perhaps it has something to do with some of the commercial Wiz games that GPH plan to sell, so in this case getting a solid port of Flash done would be very important.

Apparently pandora users are all spineless because despite having a much larger amount of votes, there are very few posts.

PoisonedV said:
Apparently pandora users are all spineless because despite having a much larger amount of votes, there are very few posts.
This isn't really a fight. That was just a semi-clever way to introduce the question.

Or maybe the Wizinators feel more on the defensive. The device has received a lot of backlash from the second "d-pad" and choice of a Flash interface.

Alex. said:
Maybe Flash will play a more important role than just for GUI presentation. Perhaps it has something to do with some of the commercial Wiz games that GPH plan to sell, so in this case getting a solid port of Flash done would be very important.
You could be right although I thought that I heard that they scrapped the original GUI and are rewriting it. I guess they might want to set up the GUI to launch the Flash games without having to open a separate application. I'm still not really sure if the whole Flash idea is worth the trouble but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree. It does add some uniqueness to the Wiz.

PoisonedV said:
If it makes you happy:
This is a post.
I don't care about Wiz and I don't care about shipping dates. I voted because I was bored.

Back