Fan-made Pandora Renders

PlopperZ said:
zxxxy said:
Wow looks SOOO cool! and i have a qestion. what do you see when you look at pandora logo? i see a 3D box or some kind of an spaceship.
It's a box.
Now why would it be a box? ;) Surely everybody has heard of Pandora's Spaceship?

Last edited by a moderator:
zxxxy said:
Wow looks SOOO cool! and i have a qestion. what do you see when you look at pandora logo? i see a 3D box or some kind of an spaceship.
boba_fett_reddit.jpg

I changed the keyboard font to a similar one found in the "Keyboard Layout" thread. Also changed the case material to a shiny piano-like plastic.. (and some other things).

the result:

pandora.jpg

Version with better FSAA and a SD card (Size is incorrect, it was modeled to fit this model):

pandora_new.jpg

I also made an animation.

Youtube (poor quality, even if you chose 'watch high quality' :p ) : Here

Direct link to video and to the textures i used : Here (h264 mov file and xvid avi)

To a mod: If any of these things is violating any rule, feel free to remove this post and ask me to remove the other stuff

I was going to say that the keyboard layout looks horrible, but I think it'll work nicely after remapping some of the game controls to Ctrl/Alt/Shift/Fn.

Nice render!

j.pickens said:
zxxxy said:
[Boba Fett]

That's what you see when you see everything.

nikkopt said:
I changed the keyboard font to a similar one found in the "Keyboard Layout" thread. Also changed the case material to a shiny piano-like plastic.. (and some other things).

the result:

pandora.jpg

I also made an animation.

Youtube (poor quality, even if you chose 'watch high quality' :p ) : Here

Direct link to video and to the textures i used : Here (h264 mov file and xvid avi)

To a mod: If any of these things is violating any rule, feel free to remove this post and ask me to remove the other stuff

Really nice render :)
But i think the pandora will have a mat plastic ;)

This is a silly question but are the buttons actually like that? sort of squishy with tactile feel to them? I mean it looks comfortable, far more than newer cellphones with their flat buttons.

klikklak said:
This is a silly question but are the buttons actually like that? sort of squishy with tactile feel to them? I mean it looks comfortable, far more than newer cellphones with their flat buttons.
This model was made by a pandora fan and not by the pandora team. Everything you see in it is unrealistic :p

I hope it's not TOO unrealistic! I'm making an ABS prototype of this fan-made model even as I type this post, as I want to see how a Pandora will feel and fit in my hands!

3D printers are kinda slow, so I'll post back tomorrow with my initial impressions.

Lobo said:
I hope it's not TOO unrealistic! I'm making an ABS prototype of this fan-made model even as I type this post, as I want to see how a Pandora will feel and fit in my hands!

3D printers are kinda slow, so I'll post back tomorrow with my initial impressions.
Lobo,
Tell more, please.
What system are you doing the 3D prototype with?

j.pickens said:
Lobo said:

Lobo,
Tell more, please.
What system are you doing the 3D prototype with?

I'm curious too :p
Bumping for some news :p

gadgetoid said:
Really, really stunning work. It's the first clear look at the Pandora I've seen, even though it's slightly inaccurate ! Makes for a fantastic press shot, too. The Pandora team would be wise to slap these into the images gallery on their front page for a little extra drool induction.

Blogged: http://www.gadgetoid.com/2009/01/08/unoffi...andora-renders/

I think they would prefer to put their own model since is the accurate one :p

Images of it (old design):

http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda01.jpg
http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda02.jpg
http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda03.jpg
http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda04.jpg
http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda05.jpg
http://www.openpandora.de/images/panda07.jpg

PS: Although i appreciate what you have said about my renders being slightly improved, i think it's just a matter of opinion, since what's making them prettier is the glossy-like case material (which is unrealistic since the Pandora will use a matte paint, i think). Anyway, here's a render with better reflection anti-aliasing and a memory card: Here

I'm doing it on a Stratasys Dimension machine.

Just woke up and I'm off to work in an hour, so I'll not be able to post till later tonight.

Before we go on: I am NOT affiliated in any way with the Pandora team, and the images and opinions in this post are not referring to the REAL Pandora. Remember that we are speaking about Fan-made 3D render and a quick and dirty ABS plastic prototype generated from the fan-made 3D file.

OK, now that's out of the way, first some (not so good) photos so you can get an idea of the size:

Pandora04.jpg

Pandora03.jpg

Pandora02.jpg

Pandora01.jpg

My initial impression was "Damn that's small: it even fits in the back pocket of my jeans!" (closed of course), quickly followed by "Thank god it's a clamshell or it wouldn't last long in my back pocket!" :D

When closed the dimensions are very similar to a GP2X, which somehow surprised me because when it's open the case seems to be smaller somehow :blink:

The analog nubs are placed to reach perfectly, which is good because I thought they would be a bit awkward to get to from the renders up to now. Bad thing is that my hands are slightly pressing on the first and last keys in the bottow row, although this shouldn't be a problem if the keys aren't overly sensitive.

I love the location of the power switch, since it is not possible to reach it by accident (not unlike my GP2X which is always freezing on me because I slightly touch the damn switch while playing :angry: )

The keyboard itself does not feel very comfortable to be thumb-typing on i.e. while holding the device in your hands, though laid down on a table it's great.

Big thanks to Clean3D for creating and publicly releasing the 3D model: I've been waiting for someone to do one for months now so I could prototype it and get a feel for the Pandora.

Lobo said:
Bad thing is that my hands are slightly pressing on the first and last keys in the bottow row, although this shouldn't be a problem if the keys aren't overly sensitive.
It won't be an issue at all if those keys aren't mapped for the game you're playing. If a game doesn't use the "Z" key, then you can accidentally press the "Z" key all day and nothing will happen.

Could you make a video of thumb typing. I know its not official...but damn is it sexy

Back