Fan-made Pandora Renders

thanks for putting this info up on the UnOfficial blog Mazza :)

But yeah, that is really interesting

mazza558 said:
How come the Pandora fans are doing more than the developers?

I kid, I kid :p
probably because they want to get their hands on a pandora, before making any announcements or promises

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad Lobo couldn't prototype one up for the OpenPandora team and ship it to MWeston

Lobo said:
Big thanks to Clean3D for creating and publicly releasing the 3D model: I've been waiting for someone to do one for months now so I could prototype it and get a feel for the Pandora.
You also can make a 1:1 Papercraft model since a long time ;) I have a useful one, not so rounded like the real case shape but quite accurate measurements. I use it to test the "Pandora Feeling", it helps while waiting for the real Pandora. :D

Your rapid prototype Case looks very good. Smooth and round edges, I'm sure it fits very well into pockets. Do you plan to "clean" the model and add Buttons and painting? :)

A few months later that thing will be a collector's item! It'll cost more than a real Pandora!

Glad you folks liked it!

I work for a company which distributes 3D printers (i.e. prototyping machines), and usually we have 3 or 4 different types at work, but right now we only have one on stock, and it just happens to be the low end model :(

It's just a pity I didn't get my hands on a 3D model a month ago, because then I could have printed it (the machine is called a 3D printer, not a prototyping machine, at least according to the marketing guys :D ) on a different type of machine which has more detail and also lots of different colours.

Today I had a couple of minutes so I spray-painted the prototype with a metallic grey colour (only colour I had) and left it drying, so I'll probably take a couple of shots of that on Monday and post them on here.

P.S. I don't plan on "cleaning" the model and adding buttons and so on: I'm afraid my CAD/3D skills are almost non-existent :( That's why I had to wait till someone else did the hard work! Then all I had to do was generate an .stl file from the 3D model and "print" it. :D

That's awesome, Lobo! Thanks for going to the work to create and post it! :)

I don't know if you're interested in working much more on it, in terms of printing a new model, etc, but I could be tempted to create a more printer-friendly model if you are. I'd just need some general guidelines and things you'd like to see done differently for the printing. I noticed the lid was slightly smaller than the case and that the case-hinge was a little different... all that can be changed so it'll fit together better in real-life. The buttons should also be simple to weld into the case mesh.

If you're satisfied with this version, though, that's fine. What you've done already is pretty nice and we'll have a real Pandora to look at soon enough too (I hope). :)

Lobo,
Really nice work.
Hey, if the devs need some mucho pronto prototyping with the real mesh files, could you be available to help out?
Given the speed with which you completed your model, you just might be able to slash a few days off the new case/fit to the new battery cycle of prototyping.

Just a thought...

I had thought about offering the service to the pandora team, but like I said, right now I only have the worst 3D printer available to me and it's just not suitable for printing these kinds of parts.

For example in some of the pictures you can see a kind of grey material inside the SD slots and some other places: this is the support material which is needed in FDM technology. On the low end machines you need to remove that stuff by hand, and if it's inside small holes and stuff then it's basically impossible without damaging the printed part.
There are other types of machine which deposit soluble support, so you just stick the part into a tank of hot water and the support dissolves away. This type of machine would be the most suitable for printing this model.

@Clean3D:
As to printing more models: I guess I could get away with doing one more (boss doesn't know I did this and not sure how he'd feel about it ;) ) though I'd prefer to do it on a better machine, and I don't think we'll have a better machine anytime soon, or at least before the Real Pandora starts shipping. :lol:
If you merged the buttons into the main model that would be cool, also the lid case to fit better to the base. The main thing you have to take into account is that I will be printing this from an .stl file, and what you see is what you get. If you want to see how it will come out in the 3D printer, just generate an .stl file from your 3d model and see how it looks(geometry missing, size issues etc.)

Lobo said:
P.S. I don't plan on "cleaning" the model and adding buttons and so on: I'm afraid my CAD/3D skills are almost non-existent :( That's why I had to wait till someone else did the hard work! Then all I had to do was generate an .stl file from the 3D model and "print" it. :D
I just meant the REAL Prototype Model, not the file. ;) So you could print the missing Buttons seperately and glue 'em onto the model and cut these rough edges at the sides and near the SD Slots etc... :)

That's pretty cool, we do have loads of these as they have to be made after every few changes to test things (there are photos around).

What we are working towards now is a CNC version which is a little different (ie final).

Pseudonym said:
I'm talking about the os picture posted by Gagetoid. (I should really use quotes)
It's just a mockup. It's not based on any actual UI skin currently in development.

Pseudonym said:
Is it real? or is it a request? or is it just a random "it would be cool if..." picture?
It's technically a request. If any develop wants to get together and toss together a sexy UI for the Pandora, I'm up for it. I'm also a developer, but not C/C++.

Back