Fao Pc Gamers

ste_167 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
I'll make a note of that. Is that for the dual core processor?
Nope, it's basically for better memory access. For instance, if you had 1Gig of ram, you would use 2 x 512 sticks, one in each channel. This means the machine can access both sticks of memory at the same time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, that's what it's called! I could only afford 512Mb of ram when I last upgraded, and remember buying two 256Mb to run them as you've described in slots 1 and 2.

I wonder if I should get a straight 1Gb this time, rather than 2x 512Mb so that I can upgrade to 2gb at some point at which point I'll get the full benefits of the dual channel?

ste_167 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 04:04 PM said:
I wonder if I should get a straight 1Gb this time, rather than 2x 512Mb so that I can upgrade to 2gb at some point at which point I'll get the full benefits of the dual channel?
Always get a pair, otherwise even if you have a lot of memory it'll be slow, negating the benefit of having more in the first place, usually.

I was under the impression that performance gain was minimal by running them in parallel. Thanks for clearing that up. 2x 512Mb or 2x 1Gb, it is then!

ste_167 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 04:34 PM said:
I was under the impression that performance gain was minimal by running them in parallel. Thanks for clearing that up. 2x 512Mb or 2x 1Gb, it is then!
You only get a performance increase if your motherboard is a dual channel board. On non dual channel boards the ram is addressed as one (so to speak).

Back