Feedback on the Open Pandora device

The Pandora doesn't need to be changed, that's just my thoughts but since the day I've had it, I've never wanted more from it as it exceeds my needs by miles.

Oh don't get me wrong - it far exceeded my expectations as well.

I was just putting forth my suggestions in the spirit of the topic (and in response to the OP's suggestions ;) )

That said, both Quake III and WarCraft II remain unplayable for me. Both suffer from mouse issues and WarCraft II (within DosBox) could certainly use a faster processor. Admittedly I haven't tried out the new DosBox EX yet... I may be pleasantly surprised.

During my adventures with the Pandora I've found the Mouse issue coming up often - I thought a TrackPoint could solve this... but then it could all be purely software related and adding a TrackPoint might not help at all.

P.s. Thanks for giving me the correct term for 'Mouse Nipple' Prometheus. I honestly didn't know what else to call it. ;)

A mouse nipple would just give directions to move the mouse in. That would work, as the nubs do in dosbox.

The problem is, that a touchscreen has to get the coordinates that someone clicks on and has to move the coursor there. If you now click out of the viewfield of an app or get to the end of the screencoordinates, it sets a wrong offset. This happens in SDL apps, but can be fixed with a tutorial by DjWillis. I don't know why this isn't fixed in dosbox already ...

Mouse Nipple
Please no.

There is a reason they removed them from most laptops and replaced them with touch pads years ago...

I have to agree, I have both on my laptop and have never used the mouses nipple.

i wouldnt mind if the pandora had a "tit mouse" :D titmouse.jpg

I once heard someone say that "tradition is innovation that sticks". Clearly the iPad was an innovation that stuck. I wonder if OpenPandora has a chance at being considered innovative. With the tiny chiclet keyboard and tiny screen I do not believe it will.

You are here trying to say that the Pandora needs to be more innovative, yes? Well you say this, but all of these adjustments you want to make to it are simply making it something that already exists: a netbook or tablet PC. Copying something already out there is not innovation. Why should the Pandora conform to what the market already knows? Where's the fun in that? Why not something new and different?

personally, i think a bigger screen would be kinda pointless, than you could just buy a netbook, one of the reasons the pandora is so unique is because it is pocket sized...

I understand some things don't work properly, but Warcraft and Quake i think are software issues and nothing to do with the Pandora itself (correct me if I'm wrong), some software doesn't work and the odd rom won't run at full speed or even at all in some cases, but it performs amazingly given what it is.

Also, a mouse nipple - isn't that what the left stick essentially is when used for mouse control?

^ Isometric joysticks like the TrackPoint work a bit differently to the nubs, but the principle is essentially the same.

I imagined theyd work differently, but the principle is the same, a small joystick to move a cursor, the further you push the faster the cursor.

I used to have a laptop with a mouse nipple and it worked fine, but I don't think it'd be comfortable or practical on something the size of the pandora,, just what i think.

Back