Fenix Dev Environment

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Does anyone know of a good tutorial on setting up a fenix dev environment on an eee PC 701SD running Linux (Not XP)?

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of coding on the move as I have a few projects on the go at the moment.

Clare.

and what more do you need really?
Where do I download compiler etc? I have googled and found no mention of compiling fenix on Linux. Fenix is fun but sometimes unhelpful as far as documentation is concerned. Plus is there a runtime for the eee PC 701SDs distro of Linux?

Currently I am concidering trying Wine as I have installed Wine on my eePC now and want to give that a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just download the fenix source from sourceforge or wherever it is kept (i have forgotten). Then you just run "./configure" and install any libraries you are missing (SDL stuff most likely) then do "make" and then "make install". I think thats all anyway but hey i'm new to this too but I remember it being pretty damn easy.

Hi Clare,

I don`t know much (if anything) about fenix, Never had the time or inclination back when the GP32 was king.

Anyway, I think i may have found what may be a useful source of info (and pretty upto date) for fenix
developers starting out.

DIVsite English Fenix

I also found the Fenix wiki project page, Which has some great external links to other useful fenix sites.

Having a good look around, There doesn`t seem to be a lot of specific (if any) linux support, Let alone a basic setup guide for linux.

Hope this is of some use, Oh, And good luck.

Regards

Trooper

Alternatively, use Bennu. There's an easy installer for Linux (at time of posting, 1.0.0.RC3 is the latest), which sets up the compiler, interpreter and default modules. After this, you can just do:
CODE
bgdc myGame.prg
and
CODE
bgdi myGame

Unfortunately, if you are using libraries that have not been copied over to Bennu, it won't be of any help to you. Or you could point me to those libraries and I will have a look.

Btw, you can also build Bennu from source, which should work with the usual configure and make commands. If this is giving you trouble, give me a holler and I'll sort it out.

on running sh ./configure I get the following error:

CODE
checking build system type... Invalid configuration 'i686-pc-linux': machine 'i686-pc-linux' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh ./configure.sub i686-pc-linux- failed

Back