Few newbie questions

djkoelkast

Still Fresh
Hi,

Yesterday my OpenPandora came in, great stuff, really great!

I'm planning on making a Dutch review on my website with a review video on youtube. Before that however I have a few questions:

1: I seem to have a dead subpixel. It is visible on a dark background when viewing from an angle. The pixel is white and seems to have a glow around it. Is there something to do about this?

2: Sometimes my SD card's name gets screwed up and my desktop icons are gone. Rebooting resolves this issue and it only happens every now and then. It has only happend with the card is SD1 though. I'm on beta 2 right now, next step is to try b3, just got it.

3: Sometimes the thumbbuttons don't work anymore, I think this is software related, because I either have to reboot or re set them though the settings menu. I think some software might use them different, but not set them back after exiting? So maybe unsolvable.

4: The backspace key doesn't do anything at all. Is this just not programmed in right? I mean the button next to the 0, at the top right.\

5: When turning the OpenPandora off (thorugh the log off button > shut down) it will power on afther that when connected to the charger. This was with the software that originally came with the OpenPandora, haven't tested it on the new beta 2 or 3 though.

I think that's it for now ;)

5: When turning the OpenPandora off (thorugh the log off button > shut down) it will power on afther that when connected to the charger. This was with the software that originally came with the OpenPandora, haven't tested it on the new beta 2 or 3 though.

This is normal, the Pandora cannot be charged when switched off.

Non working nubs can occur, if an app sets the nubs to joystickmode and doesn't set them back after quitting or crashing.

The Backspace key should work as Backspace. The delete function doesn't work however. If it is completely non functional, you might have a keymat, that doesn't make good contact with the carbonalyer.

No clue about the SDcards, mine don't do that ;)

About the subbpixel, there is not much you can do. Some people say it could be fixed by an app that cycles through all colors a lot of times, but there is no guarantee. If it doesn't really bother you, you should just ignore it.

Just flashed to b3, the button next to the 0 doesn't do anything at all. All other buttons do work.

I figured out the N64 emulator doesn't set the nub buttons back. The whole emulator doesn't work for me at this moment, so no use to keep it for now.

On b3 the touchscreen calibration fails to work properly. It gives a black screen, when I press somewhere then it works, but my 1st point has been set incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Touchscreen calibration is known not to work on b3, as stated numerous times in the betatesting threads. You have to guess the first cross.

Just flashed to b3, the button next to the 0 doesn't do anything at all. All other buttons do work.

Might be worth checking if you have any other problem keys with the input tester before trying to fix this / getting it RMA'd.

Menu > System > Pandora Input Tester

The input tester doesn't work fully (it responds to all keys, but not the buttons, although they do work). The backspace key does work when I press it quite hard, so that might be a keymat problem? Is that easy to solve? I rather not break my 1 day old unit ;)

When you say buttons, do you mean the analogue Nubs? If so then I think you need to put them into joystick mode to use them with the input tester, though I'm pretty sure it never used to be that way with earlier firmwares.

When you say buttons, do you mean the analogue Nubs? If so then I think you need to put them into joystick mode to use them with the input tester, though I'm pretty sure it never used to be that way with earlier firmwares.

All buttons (L, R, A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, Pandora, D-pad, nubs) don't respond in the input tester, but they all do work in serveral apps.

by god, he's right! in superzaxxon, trigger, dpad, a/x/y/b, alt/ctrl/menu, hold/lid do not work......in the input tester

Hi djkoelkast, glad you are enjoying your new Pandora and look forward to the wideo ;)

2. The issue of the SD card name getting scrambled and the icons disappearing, is the Pandora sometimes detecting a slightly corrupted file in its opinion and locking your card as read only. You can fix it in 3 ways.

You can run a chkdsk /f from a windows PC

or fix it 2 ways on Pandora :

First you can run the Gparted PND from the second SD card

Select the first card (dev/mmcblk0p1) from the drop down menu in the top right corner

Then highlight the main data partition of your card (usually mmcblk0p1 or media/BOOT if you used SD Installer to run off SD) in the GUI

On the menu bar of Gparted choose 'Partition'>'Unmount' and allow it to unmount the card

Then 'Partition'>'Check'

Or you can do this via the terminal but you need to install dosfstools from the Angstrom repository first, to deal with FAT32 partitions.

With wi-fi working and connected.

Open a terminal and type 'sudo opkg update' enter your password and press enter.

Then 'sudo opkg install dosfstools'

Once it finishes downloading and installing dosfstools

Type 'sudo umount /media/YOURSDCARDNAME' or 'sudo umount /dev/mmcblk0p1' (use mmcblk1p1 for SD card 2)

Then 'sudo dosfsck /dev/mmcblk0p1' (or mmcblk1p1 for SD 2)

These 2 methods should fix it.

4. If you get your Backspace key sorted out (sounds like the keymat needs carbon) then there is a tweak in the tips thread to enable it to have proper Del / Insert / backspace functions aswell http://www.gp32x.de...14

Like so :

Backspace = Backspace

Fn + Backspace = Delete

Shift + Fn + Backspace = Insert

(Its possible this has already been tweaked into the new firmwares and I simply haven't noticed)

p.s sorry for the perhaps patronising walkthrough, as you obviously know what your doing but it cant hurt to have the SD card issue laid out for any new Pandora owners that encounter that issue, as this isn't in the tips and tweaks thread and needs scouring the forums to find the old threads. Been awhile since I had that bug :)

edit: In addition you can access dosfstools via Gparted

All buttons (L, R, A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, Pandora, D-pad, nubs) don't respond in the input tester, but they all do work in serveral apps.

by god, he's right! in superzaxxon, trigger, dpad, a/x/y/b, alt/ctrl/menu, hold/lid do not work......in the input tester

I've also noticed all those buttons you guys mention are not functioning in Hexen II, the old Kernel is fine.

In B3 the SD card issue has been solved, works all the time now. Thanks.

Now the only two remaining problems are hardware related.

Back