FF7 Remake

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
If you were not aware, remaking FF7 for PS4 and it look absolutely beautiful.

However.... THEY HAD ONE JOB!!!! REMAKE, as in not fucking gut the game mechanics.... Looks like they did a crisis core on this... NERD RAGE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All depends how it turns out tbh, do they atleast have a few of the original dev's working on the project?

so far from the first E3 trailer it lists 3 people from the original line up in slightly different positions.

Yoshinori Kitase -producer (original director)
Kazushige Nojima -scenario (original story)
Tetsuya Nomura -director (original character designer)

Don't get me wrong, it looks like they will retain the spirit of the game with the new combat system (so far as what's been shown) but it's not possible for that to be turn based like before based off the teased clips.

EDIT: looking closely at the ATB bar in the lower right in the battle bits, it appears each action will decrease the bar a bit, you will switch characters to one that has a more full bar, spend actions, switch etc. I'm going to guess that AI will be controlling the other characters when not being actively controlled, similar to secret of mana... which wasn't *BAD* but it is obviously different.

If you were not aware, remaking FF7 for PS4 and it look absolutely beautiful.

However.... THEY HAD ONE JOB!!!! REMAKE, as in not fucking gut the game mechanics.... Looks like they did a crisis core on this... NERD RAGE!!!

It's this asshole of Nomura who is at the command. He will botch the story (just like Crisis Core) and the mechanics (FFXIII ). There is nothing to hope about this remake, it will suck balls just like the "new" star wars from George Lucas.

Obviously if you wanted to do a proper remake and not something shite, you'd need Sakaguchi to be back in the team as director.

Hmm, while I didn't like the mechanics of Crisis Core, I liked the story. It fits perfect into the main story.

If they're changing things beyond an update, perhaps it's best that they don't remake FF6. Request retracted.

If it's PS4 exclusive it might be a reason for me to buy one...

I like that it's not a turn based fighting system any more.

Especially that chance is high it has not the worst thing in gaming history: unavoidable random battles

It's described as a limited console exclusive I believe.  There's nothing stopping them releasing on PC (they did for FFVII originally), and rumours are they're seriously looking at an XBO launch later on.

Fighting system looks more like Kingdom Hearts than Crisis Core.

So similar to FF15, I guess.

It's described as a limited console exclusive I believe.  There's nothing stopping them releasing on PC (they did for FFVII originally), and rumours are they're seriously looking at an XBO launch later on.

Or Nintendo NX would be nice...

Yeha but that means, no strategy anymore. So the combats can be summed up as random button mashing, which is exactly NOT what FFVII and older FF stood for.

Tactics?

I was so disappointed. Sephiroth was a joke. Was hoping for an intense boss battle but I defeated him at the first try with a really bad team (I messed up positioning and one side was badly equipped).

Bravely Default has a great turned based battle system but Final Fantasy 7 was average.

(Especially the unavoidable random battles)

Actually not, they changed many elements of the story of the original FFVII in Crisis Core - you simply don't remember the story well enough if you think they are 100% compatible.

I don't know so much about that, to a casual fan of that specific universe it seemed rather convincing to me. It may have confused some very specific details I am not aware of. But the Zack + Aerith releationship, cloud's buster sword, sephiroth's+jenova real identities (points I don't think were very clear in the original game) and the turk's back story. The only points I don't exactly remember at all from the first was any mention whatsoever of angeal and genesis but seemed to fit in pretty good without breaking any/many story elements.

dirge of cerberus on the other hand broke many story elements and was a complete shit game, it actually tarnished the namesake it was IMO losely based off of, if it weren't for the fact it does actually expand on vincent's story a bit, I wouldn't even recognize it as part of the series.

I however liked crisis core a whole lot, (not anywhere on par with it's chronological sequal though) while I didn't enjoy the game mechanics all that much, it was still fun, and the expanding story I thought was excellent and brought additional depth into an already deep story. Advent children, while not a game looked fantastic, but strangely was almost a lost opportunity to expand the story further. I have hopes that this remake will look like advent children, fix some minor plot holes, and keep true to the original. Even if they mess with the game mechanics a bit, I have faith I'll enjoy it as long as it doesn't turn out to be another dirge of cerberus.

How do you guys remember this stuff, to the point of discussing such details? I've finished both FF7 (~2000) and Crisis Core (~2009) and all I can roughly remember is what some party members and villains were and roughly how the gameplay worked. If I wasn't doing some PCSX development/testing I wouldn't even remember as much.

Actually not, they changed many elements of the story of the original FFVII in Crisis Core - you simply don't remember the story well enough if you think they are 100% compatible.

I actually replayed FF7 PSX right after playing Crisis Core as the story continued but didn't find any story elements that were changed.

Do you have an example for that?

How do you guys remember this stuff, to the point of discussing such details? I've finished both FF7 (~2000) and Crisis Core (~2009) and all I can roughly remember is what some party members and villains were and roughly how the gameplay worked. If I wasn't doing some PCSX development/testing I wouldn't even remember as much.

sounds like someone's got their priorities backwards lol... ehh. But it's probably similar with programming, remembering archaic details of things in assembly that a normal person wouldn't even bother themselves with. I think we each have things we prioritize our memories for.

But yea just like a good book, especially one that you've read several times, the major and sometimes minor story elements stick out in my memory. FF7 is in my top 5 fav game universes. Lufia was another one I hold dear to my heart and remember lots of details on most of those games as it spans the titles. Zelda, Breath of Fire, and probably diablo are in there as well.

I played and finished FF7 several times (in several languages mainly because I wanted to know if the plot was better written and more clear in the original version vs the translated ones) 

I actually replayed FF7 PSX right after playing Crisis Core as the story continued but didn't find any story elements that were changed.

Do you have an example for that?

Tons of elements, there are forums full of discussions about the discrepancies. 

- Sephiroth having a wing in Crisis Core while he did not in FFVII. Safer Sephiroth actually has 7 wings with one being tained, but Nomura took that litterally because he did not understand the imagery of Sephiroth in the first place. 

- the way Sephiroth disappears in CC is inconsistent with what happens in FFVII to start with. I don't mean to spoil people here so PM me if you want to discuss it in more details. 

- Zack should have been defeated in a different place - again not consistent with FFVII.

Plus the whole plot feels completely unnecessary, Zack was a passing thought in FFVII, just like Darth Vador turning evil was a single line in Star Wars, and not worth making three prequel movies out of it. The very same with Zack, there was just not enough material to make anything good with it and the whole story well contrived "just because we have to tie it down to FFVII" and so on. 

Back