Fighting Fantasy Vns Game V.0.1 Download Available

Grebn

Hi all,

Even though its very bloody sunny outside I wanted to get this (very short) beta up for you. So far you can roll your stats, choose your potion and read the background story. Im addition, the first four locations are done, as is a fight with an Orc, and a SKILL and LUCK test for certain situations.

Anyway, you can get the v.0.1 beta from http://www.scip.org.uk/ab/pogart/gp32.htm

Please leave feedback, suggestions and so on.

Instructions for download and installation are described on the website, as is a download of VNS 1.1 to run the game.

Just tried it now.
Looks promising so far, not the best graphics, but I'm not complaining. They have their charm.

So far so good, keep up the good work :)

Yeah, game's cool, so short xD. How much time did it take to you to create a so-well developed GP32 application?

But for next I suggest:
- Make a dice/combat animation or somewhat
- Include the "how to play", please :p
- Maybe a mp3/ogg reproductor inside the game using both paddles R/L? I prefer it to in-game sounds (if the novel sounds are not good, or it haven't at all). I think you can use part of the sourcecode of one reproductor that appeared in Adic2004 and only reproduced songs in MP3, w/out background, menus or sth. It's name is mini MP3.
- An easy novel-creator application/conversor, if you can.

Nothing more by the moment, and thanks a lot for your game!!!

Hi everyone,

Cheers for comments so far - Pakoito - thanks for your suggestions. The problem is, I'm writing the game on a fairly basic language (VNS), so dice animations and the mp3/ogg repoductor are out. They're just not supported.

When you say easy novel-creator application, I would recommend using VNS. I aim to make a framework for Fighting Fantasy games when I've finished Warlock.

OIC, I do know nothing about the VNS 'til now: "VNS (Virtua Novel System) started out as a Visual Novel creation system. Along the way more and more options were added so now it can also be used to build simple games or adventure games." Now I understand what are you trying to do :p

Thanks, and keep it up, the project is very interesting ;)

firefly1201 posted on Apr 11 2005 at 02:38 PM said:
And also, I can't cheat! Wow, it's like even better than the books!

LOL so I wasn't the only one eh???

Last edited by a moderator:
bast525 posted on Apr 12 2005 at 02:25 AM said:
firefly1201 posted on Apr 11 2005 at 02:38 PM said:
And also, I can't cheat! Wow, it's like even better than the books!

LOL so I wasn't the only one eh???

ER No you weren't ;-)

I loved these games, the no cheating is a big improvement and probably why I lost interest in the originals as I just got to the end.

Keep Going and Virtual Leech please please add the variable support.

great Stuff !

Hi all,

Paul here - I've managed to crack the combat system in a mere 267 lines! Sods law dictates that VirtuaLeech will post me an updated VNS this afternoon. So now you can fight just like in the books, and you even get messages based on your attack strength.

Anyway, V0.2 is coming on and another download should be available in the next few days. Once I've got the framework for the game sorted I'll leave off the betas till its finished cos I don't want to bore people with it.

Paul

Grebn posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
Hi all,

Paul here - I've managed to crack the combat system in a mere 267 lines! Sods law dictates that VirtuaLeech will post me an updated VNS this afternoon. So now you can fight just like in the books, and you even get messages based on your attack strength.

Anyway, V0.2 is coming on and another download should be available in the next few days. Once I've got the framework for the game sorted I'll leave off the betas till its finished cos I don't want to bore people with it.

Paul

Good work! :) Cant wait to see the next beta, but the final version will be even more great! :)

Stupid question, but how much time until we will see the final version? ;)
I remember the book isnt THAT big, and with the new vns the scripting will go faster?

Anyways, keep it up.

Well, I was thinking I'd get as much done as I can by Saturday morning, then put v.0.2 up then. I really don't think its going to take long to finish - its certainly going quicker than I expected. The most time consuming part has been the illustrations.

If I continue at the same rate, it should be finished (or at least fully playable) within four weeks. Easily.

Anyway, I'll put a post up as soon as v.0.2 is up.

Paul

Since that's the case, I'm gonna hold off on trying this one until it's done... very anxious to play it I must say :)

Fantastic!

This is great, the pictures are cute too!

I don't know much about VNS, but is it possible to scan the pictures in some soft of compatible format and include them in the game (that is, the pictures from the original story?)

It would be possible - I did scan some and reduce them, but due to the level of detail in the books illustrations they looked a bit crappy and indistinct. Also the proportions are wrong for the GP32 screen.

I've decided to leave the books illustrations out of the equation now - not just because they put mine to shame (!!), but also because I wanted every situation to have a graphic screen.

Back