File Manager crashes

SirDregan

Hello!

I have a premium pandora and so far I'm really satisfied with it. Only one thing bothers me a lot.

When I use the filemanager (with the nubs, stylus or d-pad) it crashes very often.

It doesn't matter if I'm on my SD card (thought at first it was the issue) or on the NAND. It takes me about 20 tries to get 10 folders "deep".

I just tried reflashing, but that didn't help either :(

Any idea what can cause this and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: When I try to unmount my SD Card it tells me "Unable to unmount "SDCARDNAME": Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab"

Noob Question: Is this normal? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

I have a premium pandora and so far I'm really satisfied with it. Only one thing bothers me a lot.

When I use the filemanager (with the nubs, stylus or d-pad) it crashes very often.

It doesn't matter if I'm on my SD card (thought at first it was the issue) or on the NAND. It takes me about 20 tries to get 10 folders "deep".

I just tried reflashing, but that didn't help either :(

Any idea what can cause this and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: When I try to unmount my SD Card it tells me "Unable to unmount "SDCARDNAME": Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab"

Noob Question: Is this normal? ;)

Hi dude I have owned 3 differenet Pandora units and all of them suffered this problem, my second one did not do it as much as my first one, so its a normal issue, I don't know hoew to resolve this, but when i flashed my unit the problem was not solved i think its too do with how much data or roms you have in a folder, i had 6000 c64 roms in one folder and it kept crashing, so maybe its linked to storage or something, try the other sd card slot and see if it happens or not, maybe someone a bit more technical like WizardStan can post here what the prob and solution maybe

bye

007jaws

Hi dude I have owned 3 differenet Pandora units and all of them suffered this problem, my second one did not do it as much as my first one, so its a normal issue, I don't know hoew to resolve this, but when i flashed my unit the problem was not solved i think its too do with how much data or roms you have in a folder, i had 6000 c64 roms in one folder and it kept crashing, so maybe its linked to storage or something, try the other sd card slot and see if it happens or not, maybe someone a bit more technical like WizardStan can post here what the prob and solution maybe

bye

007jaws

Thanks for your reply. Good to know I'm not the only one :)

I'm pretty sure it's not the SD card / many files in a folder. I don't have that many on my sd card (maximum about 40 / folder I'd think) and the filemanager crashes whitout a SD Card, too.

Regarding the unmounting problem there is handy script that once entered will enable proper unmounting via the desktop icon for your cards. You will find it in the review by Phawx of his Pandora, he links to it there. I´ll post the link if I find it before others have replied. Makes things safer for peace of mind but I don´t think there is any risk of corruption anyway, unless you haven´t waited for the cards to cease access/writing before removing.

edit: here you go http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=101

edit 2 : Have you tried xfe as an alternative filemanager? Not sure how to make it the default but it was ported because of the crashing issue with thunar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the unmounting problem there is handy script that once entered will enable proper unmounting via the desktop icon for your cards. You will find it in the review by Phawx of his Pandora, he links to it there. I´ll post the link if I find it before others have replied. Makes things safer for peace of mind but I don´t think there is any risk of corruption anyway, unless you haven´t waited for the cards to cease access/writing before removing.

edit: here you go http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=101

edit 2 : Have you tried xfe as an alternative filemanager? Not sure how to make it the default but it was ported because of the crashing issue with thunar.

Thanks a lot! :)

I'll try both the script and xfe tonight :)

Seem to remember that there is a problem when using Thunar with the View selected as a detailed list. Try changing the view setting to 'View as Icons' if you currently have it set as 'View as detailed list'.

IIRC this problem is Thunar related and not specific to the Pandora.

Back