Firefox Functionality Fails Flawlessly...

CPUnltd

I have gotten copies of all versions of firefox, put them in the proper folders and I get nothing on the desktop or menu. Tried executing the pnd directly to no avail. Fennec, oddly enough, works fine. but for my purposes, I'll be in need of a fully functional desktop-level browser. The lightweight ones work fine, but for certain sites, firefox seems to be the only browser on the desktop that functions for all my needs on those sites while the others fall short...

so, for business purposes, I need firefox to work. Slowly building my Pandora arsenal so I can ditch my laptop outside of power work that can't yet be done on the Pandora (due specifically to horsepower constraints)... This is one of the final pegs in this climb. But I have no idea what I'm doing wrong to not get this pnd running...

any and all help appreciated.

Should show up in desktop/menu if the PXML is right, reardless if the app itself is broken or not.

FF uses up a lot of RAM (compared to what Pandora has), so perhaps a swap might help you for tight sites; I know a bunch of the sites I hit crash out most browsers when no swap is around.

jeff

My setup is plain vanilla (HF4), no swap, and Firefox 4B10 shows up and functions for me - a couple of sites have made it crash (news sites, nothing major) but otherwise no problems. Tried another SD card?

multiple SD cards tried... will probably resort to trying chromium... though it's very crashy... I haven't tried the sites I need with it just yet...

What happens if it is the only PND on your card? Does it appear? This all sounds really strange as I've used each version as they've come out and have even imported my desktop's profile including addons that all work flawlessly even the ones that refuse to install in a linux distro. I'd be fustrated also.

EDIT: Try Panasonic SD Formatter on your card yet??

have not tried the formatter, nor have I tried making it the only PND on the card yet... running into a weird lock-up issue on HF5 that doesn't seem to let me run any PNDs, so I"m debating on whether I desire to attempt to fix or if I should just reflash again... this comes shortly after the last reflash, so I'm not sure what's up... my SD cards are SanDisk and Kingston, so I'm pretty sure they are decent quality and can't be the cause of the lockups... but you never know. Should have a random SD card floating around here somewhere that I can toss just Firefox on and see if it's recognized by itself (would be annoying as hell if it was only recognized by itself... of course, my problem could be related to not being able to cleanly unmount my SD cards when I wish to remove them. No utility seems to let me unmount them, so I either do a hard reboot (as a standard reboot hangs all the time) or just remove them without unmounting (which is supposedly a really bad thing and can cause data corruption... but what other choice do I have besides rebooting every time?)...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
running into a weird lock-up issue on HF5 that doesn't seem to let me run any PNDs, so I"m debating on whether I desire to attempt to fix or if I should just reflash again..

Have you tried this-

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Other/pnd_run_installer.inf

I've stuck with HF4 so I have no insight into whether it is relevant to your problem.

I never remove my SD cards while the unit is on, for exactly the reasons stated, and so far this seems to have spared me any headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not attempted using that just yet... will look into it sometime soon and let you know if it makes a difference... have a more interesting issue with SD card mounting I need to post about, so I'll be doing that...

if you have all versions of firefox on the sd card at the sime time.. with the same app_id this will cause them no to show up as libpnd doesn't know which one to show. (AFAIK)

I think the Pnd Run Installer on Pandora Apps might be an old version that has some bugs... maybe try this one instead:
http://sebt3.openpandora.org/pnd/pnd_run_installer.pnd

(discussion thread for it is here)

Esn said:
I think the Pnd Run Installer on Pandora Apps might be an old version that has some bugs... maybe try this one instead:
http://sebt3.openpan...n_installer.pnd

(discussion thread for it is here)
indeed.

BTW, I'm wont feel sorry about those downloading from apps.o.o : I'm not uploading things there.
The craigx mignon upload anything there but dont keep up-to-date. He upload thing there without anyone consent. Then Craigx refuse to remove what he minion uploaded even if it does mean that his app-store hold copyrighted material thuss be illegal. Maybe I should inform pop-cap about this, they are are realy fast with DMCA take-down notices....

so is it better to grab from the openhandhelds site or milkshake's site? Sounds like apps.o.o should be avoided at the moment...

ok... not sure what it was supposed to do still... I got the one from sebt3's subdomain... the processing light blinked a few times... then nothing... opened Tempel's PNDstore and grabbing FF4b10 just to see if my method of getting pnds is my issue... can't remember where I got all my ff pnds from atm... We shall see how this plays out...

It's supposed to fix some PND errors that cropped up in hotfix 5. After your Pandora has been on for a long time, some PNDs may refuse to open in Hotfix5, and give you an error message instead. It doesn't do anything visible after you run it, it just fixes some things in the background.

But it sounds like the problem you're having with Firefox not opening is a different one, moreover it's one that nobody else seems to have. So it's probably related to something you did to your Pandora that most other people haven't done (something with opkg maybe?).

By the way, what sorts of things specifically do you need to do with Firefox that you can't do in Midori (the fixed version)?

didn't do what I needed to do for FF (but using Tempel's PNDstore, I grabbed FF4b10 and it is now working just fine)... not sure why just downloading and dropping the pnd where it needed to be didn't do it, but PNDstore seems to have some magic that my fingers don't... oh well, it's working, that's all that matters.

@ESN, FF seems to have something that Midori doesn't for a specific site I need to use for business purposes... I get the same problems on my laptop with lightweight2 and midori that I get on the Pandora, but not with FF... works flawlessly for this website on both the laptop and Pandora... so my Pandora is slowly becoming a business device as well... :D Eventually, I'll only need my laptop for heavier computing purposes... eventually... :D Will be interesting to see if someone PND's LibreOffice... :p

Back