Firewhip Demo 1 Released

chipan

Still Fresh
A new game called Firewhip has been released, It's a castlevania-like plattaformer made by Coelophysis;
Check it out at http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,1941
Coelophysis is an spanish coder but an english readme is also included.

Check the gp32spain official thread to find out some screenshots and give feedback.

attachmentyy1.jpg

From what I've played so far this is a very promising start. The graphics are absolutely fantastic, at least commercial quality. The gameplay is pretty smooth too...if the few annoying niggles could be ironed out, this could be a great game.

Right now I'm finding it difficult to progress far because the enemies attack too quickly as soon as they're on-screen, giving you miliseconds to react and evade. Also, once hit you're knocked back without any invunerability period, meaning that some of the enemies attacks can create a 'juggle' effect with no way to escape.

Other than that it's an excellent effort. More a case of tweaking to perfection I hope. Thanks Coelophysis!

Awesome looking game but really difficult see first post ;)
I uploaded Firewhip to the archiv so somebody could remove the link to the filehoster.

Regards,
Stephan

The short time of invulnerability is a known bug :) but it¡s planed to be fixed on the next version.

HauJobb posted on Dec 3 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
I uploaded Firewhip to the archiv so somebody could remove the link to the filehoster.

Regards,
Stephan
Done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah well this is a beta-demo-version, so excpect lots playability issues. U can feedback in the "official thread" in english.

Cheers.

JimmySlam posted on Dec 3 2006 at 10:13 PM said:
Yeah well this is a beta-demo-version, so excpect lots playability issues. U can feedback in the "official thread" in english.

Cheers.
Hey jimmy, this time I've been the quickest ;)

Are you going commercial, or entering in the homebrew contest?

Hopefully the homebrew contest, because you are a sure-win for the 1st prise ($500?).
Then you could always ask for donations to improve it after that.

Really shaping up to be a great game.

I thought you couldn't submit anything pre-released :p

- Alex

mth411 posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
Are you going commercial, or entering in the homebrew contest?

Hopefully the homebrew contest, because you are a sure-win for the 1st prise ($500?).
Then you could always ask for donations to improve it after that.

Really shaping up to be a great game.

Only private betas were allowed if you were going to enter it into the homebrew contest ( not a public one so he can't enter it in the contest now) so I guess he just doesn't care about the contest or didn't know and just want his game out there for everyone to play. :) Great first beta I would like to see more of this game as it progresses.

Jackd posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:54 PM said:
sure win... what about salvaria

I can't submit salvaria because it was already entered into the official contest and the rules state that I cant enter anything already entered into a previous contest. But I have a new game that I am entering into the contest I hope everyone likes. I have spent a huge amout of time on this game it has over 1000 frames of animation. But I am keeping what it is hush hush until the contest. :D

so then what is the status of salvaria and the fighting game maker... I though you said youd have at least like an alpha by christmas if im not mistaken

Jackd posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
so then what is the status of salvaria and the fighting game maker... I though you said youd have at least like an alpha by christmas if im not mistaken

A demo of Salvaria should be out within the next couple of months I did an complete recode of the engine using my new graphic streaming code and the fighter maker I am having problems with the characters stuttering when they move because of the streaming graphics if I can't get that sorted out looks like only about 16mb of graphical data will be avalible for each character and I will use the upper 32mb of memory for sound usage. Please be patient i will get these games out it just take time alot of time but they will be done. :) but it looks like early jan because I am spending alot of time on the community contest but after that is over its straight coding on Salvaria and SFM :D

lol sorry if I sounded like I was telling you to hurry up. I think its unbelievable that you are doing this many projects at once all of which i'm interested in. cant wait to see the new game in a week.

XaMMaX90 posted on Dec 4 2006 at 07:06 AM said:
Fenix? lol
I don't know if you were sarcastic or not, but this game is impressive regardless of the language it was coded in - even more so impressive that it was done in Fenix, as it runs lag-free, with smooth animations, beautiful artwork, and good game play. My only gripe is that it is too difficult. Sure, with time you get better at it, but it's still frustrating. How about two or three seconds of invulnerability after you get hurt by one of those ghouls?

Oh, and I also like the title screen... kickass :D

- Alex

I agree about the difficulty, but it is really promising to be a great game!

Looking forward to more releases. :)

WOW!!!! this game is great!!!! i cant stop plkaying it! cant wait to see a finished version (keep up the great work!)

Back