Firstly a hello, and secondly an issue I have!

sspaise

Still Fresh
Firstly,

Hello to all!

This is my very first post as a pandora owner!

I have been following this project since the start but have only just got my hands on one due to funding etc, but I finally got there (albeit a CC version, but better than none :) )

Great job to the team at openpandora for creating an amazing piece of kit. I have been using it daily for emulation (of course), browsing the web, rss feeds, coding, and system administration and I am loving it :D

Unfortunately I still cannot afford a brand spanking new pandora so I managed to pick one up for a bargin price on ebay. Got it the other week and everything was well, until I hit the dreaded purple tint wall.

I understand this has been brought up a couple of times in the forums so I applogise for another post about it, but I have a few questions:

1. I am quite the tinkerer, I build many custom PC's, rip devices apart to understand how they work etc, but looking at the pandora it seems this may be a whole new level of fidgety'ness, and I really don't want to break my pandy more as soon as I've got it :)

So my question is this:

1. Would it be advised to have this sent away for LCD cable repair despite the fact I have pulled many items apart and put back together (still working), and if so how much does this cost, and how long will it take before it comes back to me? (I'm based in the UK)

OR:

2. If I did repair this myself, based on other peoples experiences, what else could I potentially damage while performing this (other than the case)?

Thanks to anyone that can help answer this, and I look forward to getting involved more here on the forums =)

You should send it back to the Dragonbox shop in Germany (ED's shop) for repairs, and usually if it's the LCD cable failure (which seems to be the case) this would be covered and you would not have to pay for anything since it's quality issue with some cables (so, not your fault).

This is what I know but please contact Askarus as he is the repair guy and can answer that point for you :)

PS: i don't recommend fixing it yourself.

There is a you tube video for fixing LCD cables by evildragon isn't there?

Oh yes...hello and welcome!! :D

Last edited:
Whether you fix it yourself is entirely up to you.

For an experienced tinkerer, it does not present a huge challenge.

Taking plenty of care, time and precautions (don't touch the surface of the PCB with dirty/staticy finger, etc) should make things work smoothly.

You might want to buy two new cables.

Having said that, if you treasure crisp, fresh electronics then you might be better off sending it to ED.

I can guarantee that he will do a good job of the repair.

Can you spare your pandora for the days it will take to ship to Germany and back?

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies!

I watched the video by Evildragon, and as Binky mentioned it doesn't seem to be much of a challenge for a tinkerer, however;

I am slightly OCD when it comes to things like this so it seems the best choice for me is to send it back to ED/Askarus. I'm sure I can go without my pandora for a few days (will be weird not having it in my pocket though =))

Is there a correct way to go about contacting ED/Askarus for repair?

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies!

I watched the video by Evildragon, and as Binky mentioned it doesn't seem to be much of a challenge for a tinkerer, however;

I am slightly OCD when it comes to things like this so it seems the best choice for me is to send it back to ED/Askarus. I'm sure I can go without my pandora for a few days (will be weird not having it in my pocket though =))

Is there a correct way to go about contacting ED/Askarus for repair?
You can PM them here or contact them through the email on Evil Dragons website.

I'd recommend you have him upgrade your case as well, the new one ( silver ) is much sturdier than the original and fixes some of the gap issues 

Thanks Gotwake!

Not a bad idea on getting the case sorted too! already developing a small crack on this unit just under the USB port :(

I've had my pandora in bits more times than I can remember. One of the reasons was that one time I accidentally reinstalled my B button upside down - it still worked but it felt different to the other buttons so I had to pop it open again and fix it. The only other snag I hit is that I lost the power slider tab thing for a couple of months. I resorted to using my little fingernail to slide the actual power switch appendage thing which worked fine, but after a couple of weeks evidently my technique got sloppy and eventually I managed to break off the actual power switch appendage thing (need to come up with a better term for that), so now I power my Pandora up or down with the point of a nail, or sometimes the point of a sewing thread unpicker tool, depending on which room I'm in.

Oh, and also I have slight scuff marks on the lid of my Pandora now from not making sure the surface of my DIY table where I took it apart was entirely free of crud on at least one of the occasions of taking it apart.

So in short, best off getting it professionally repaired ;)

Thanks Gotwake!

Not a bad idea on getting the case sorted too! already developing a small crack on this unit just under the USB port :(
No problem mate :)

Might as well get it done, while it's already being serviced 

Thought I might suggested it, as it will make your pandora not only sturdier, but look more like a "brand-new" product  

Depending on shipping cost it may be worthwhile to at least attempt to repair it yourself. In my case, I was able to buy 6 cables for the same cost that it would have been shipping it back for repair. 6 chances to get it right is pretty good, and if it takes you 3 tries (with it lasting for a month or so between attempts, like it did with me) before you finally get it just right, you've still got 3 more spares. Which I have since used or lost, but that's a completely different story.

If i were you i'd contact Askarus he did a great job repairing a similar fault in my LCD cable when i had similar problems (i lack the manual dexterity for conducting my own repairs) it was free and only cost me shipping, also returned to me speedily.

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna chuck Askarus a PM and have it done by him if possible, seems a better option to have it fixed first go now so I can continue using it. Once I get a 1Ghz edition, then the tinkering on my CC unit begins :)

So i've PM'd Askarus and he sent me to the upgrades page on Dragonbox, however I do not want an upgrade.

PM'd ED asking the correct procedure for just getting something fixed and received no reply (guessing just busy).

Does anyone know the correct procedure for applying for a repair of a faulty component either here or on dragonbox?, because so far i'm getting nowhere in regards to having this repaired by the team =(

Does anyone know the correct procedure for applying for a repair of a faulty component either here or on dragonbox?, because so far i'm getting nowhere in regards to having this repaired by the team =(

Please download and fill out the following RMA sheet: http://www.openpandora.org/downloads/RMASheet.pdf

Package up your Pandora, include the filled out RMA sheet into your package and send it to:

OpenPandora GmbH

Schäffbräustr. 11

85049 Ingolstadt

Germany

Use 300USD as value for customs declaration.

Thanks thatgui and ekianjo,

I did read the post on pandoralive, but again it just stopped dead with the RMA sheet and not on how to actually proceed with a repair, just the upgrades.

I would be happy to just ship this back with the RMA sheet in and some information on what needs doing, however it just seems wrong to send something without first informing the shop/person that its coming in for repair.

1. Is this how dragonbox normally deal with repairs, just by having units sent in from everywhere without understanding the issue beforehand or confirming with the customer that the repair is OK to go ahead?

2. I also have to try and find out if the LCD cable will be replaced at cost or with RMA?

3. Alongside this I now want to get the case upgraded to the latest, does this get included in the RMA due to cracks or is this a cost item?

Sorry I am just super confused right now on this whole process. There should be a "repairs" form on dragonbox :eek:

Any answers to the above will be greatly appreciated as it's payday tomorrow, and my pandora needs some hardware fix lovin =(

as long as you've answered the questions on the RMA sheet thats fine, just send it with your unit to the german address and it will find its  way to Askarus, the "issue" is determined from the questions you filled in on the RMA sheet. Just drop askarus a PM after you've sent it and he'll repair it as soon as he can get to it.

the LCD cable will be replaced for free as this part of the Pandora is NEVER out of warranty.

If you want the case upgraded just put a note at the bottom of the RMA sheet and maybe send a PM to Askarus Regarding this, i'm not sure of the cost because i've never had a case replaced.

Providing you filled in the printed out RMA.pdf as fully as possible (just send the unit itself with the completed sheet, no extras like battery, SD CARDS or stylus) i dont think you need to do anything on the Dragonbox website - i never did.

So to keep everyone updated I have decided not to send my pandora back to DragonBox.

The main reason being as I have been assigned to a job in work which requires travel in the next week so my pandora is without a doubt needed!

Got a couple of the LCD cables coming today, will let you know how the repair goes ;)

Back