Fishing Games.

alyinsanfran posted on May 24 2005 at 03:22 PM said:
lubidog posted on May 24 2005 at 06:32 AM said:
alyinsanfran posted on May 24 2005 at 01:50 PM said:
moz posted on May 24 2005 at 12:23 AM said:
jack charltons fishing on spectrum

Interesting, never heard of this title.
I presume it's British, in which case it'd feature coarse fishing?
Must look it up.

You think us Brits are only coarse fishermen????

Na, lots of course fishing in the UK, but also lots of Fly Fishing (scottish salmon! river brown trout, reservoir lake etc.) plus lots of sea fishing!!!!

I am a very keen fly fisher. Last summer we caught fish in the sea (pollock) on the fly!

But as I live in Germany, can any of you Germans tell me if there is much fly fishing here......?

No, didn't think so :huh:

(PS. Jack Charltons fishing was awful, IIRK, but quite fun!!! Has anyone here mentioned the fishing in ocarina of time? That was great!!!!)

:D

Yeah I know there's a good range of fishing options in the UK, but I'm particularly interested in coarse fishing 'cause there's lots of species I've never come across myself (I'm a Kiwi fly fisherman, so I've caught heaps of trout and salmon and pelagic species like kahawai). If I ever make it out to the UK I'm definitely going to try for the coarse species. I'm living in California now and am enjoying the bass etc but it's always good to try something new, I've always been a bit jealous of Pommy coarse fisherman, looks like fun.
As for Germany, I thought they had a good range of species there too? Like giant zander, carp etc. Anything can be caught on the fly if you use the right method. Look online, I bet you'll be surprised what your options are.

If you knew how me and my fishing pals would give our right arms to fly fish the Kiwi rivers!!! I've got DVDs of Kiwi fishing trips......

It makes me smile to think of you wanting to come to UK to coarse fish! Those guys now either pole fish (which bores me sensless), or throw boilies out in the hope of snaring some fattened up monster carp!

If you ever get over to the UK, then get in touch, because the real joys of UK coarse fishing are well off the beaten track! Trotting for chub and barbel in the River Severn, or trying to catch a genuinely wild grass carp in a secret river etc. Catching a 10lb tench in the dawn from a beautiful pond etc.

But sitting by a hole in the ground, catching 100 cruscian carp, after catching Bass in Cal, or Wild Brown Trout in NZ, well-it would hurt me to think about it!

I might be moving to a City on the Rhein, then I could start fishing here.... But till then, I'll be up in Scotland this summer, trying to catch tiny (but wild!!!) brownies....

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Germany, I thought they had a good range of species there too? Like giant zander, carp etc.
EEwww, carp...
1. Carp fishing is ass aching, you sit at the border of a muddy pond and wait, and wait, etc. there´s noting you can do... i once was ground fishing (hope it is called so) and had a few bites, but even that was boring, those carps are fat and weak; easy prey...
2. They taste horrible if you eat them the same day you caught them, you may also let them swim in clear water for some weeks, then they don´t taste at all.
3. They are full of countless little fishbones in them, so they are very hard to eat without spitting them al the time.

Oh, and BTW: You won´t catch a carp with a fly. Never.

Fishbong posted on May 24 2005 at 10:50 PM said:
As for Germany, I thought they had a good range of species there too? Like giant zander, carp etc.
EEwww, carp...
1. Carp fishing is ass aching, you sit at the border of a muddy pond and wait, and wait, etc. there´s noting you can do... i once was ground fishing (hope it is called so) and had a few bites, but even that was boring, those carps are fat and weak; easy prey...
2. They taste horrible if you eat them the same day you caught them, you may also let them swim in clear water for some weeks, then they don´t taste at all.
3. They are full of countless little fishbones in them, so they are very hard to eat without spitting them al the time.

You can catch a carp with a fly! I've had several 'take' a fly! But it was a fly that looked like one of those horrible boilies (lump of bright cloured artificial bait).....!

But a wild english grass carp, stalked from a river.....!!! Now that's a fish!

BTW. we never eat course fish, they all taste horrible! But do you Germans fly fish for trout? Cos I'm missing it so bad at the moment (just 6 weeks....!)

Danke

Give me my boat back from Marina del Rey, strap me down and give me some Barracuda fishin' - it puts hairs on your chest for all the wrong reasons. Tastes good though with Cajun spices :)

I've always wanted to do Marlin but I'm not built up enough for it.

lubidog posted on May 24 2005 at 12:45 PM said:
lubidog posted on May 24 2005 at 06:32 AM said:
alyinsanfran posted on May 24 2005 at 01:50 PM said:
moz posted on May 24 2005 at 12:23 AM said:
jack charltons fishing on spectrum

Interesting, never heard of this title.
I presume it's British, in which case it'd feature coarse fishing?
Must look it up.

You think us Brits are only coarse fishermen????

Na, lots of course fishing in the UK, but also lots of Fly Fishing (scottish salmon! river brown trout, reservoir lake etc.) plus lots of sea fishing!!!!

I am a very keen fly fisher. Last summer we caught fish in the sea (pollock) on the fly!

But as I live in Germany, can any of you Germans tell me if there is much fly fishing here......?

No, didn't think so :huh:

(PS. Jack Charltons fishing was awful, IIRK, but quite fun!!! Has anyone here mentioned the fishing in ocarina of time? That was great!!!!)

Yeah I know there's a good range of fishing options in the UK, but I'm particularly interested in coarse fishing 'cause there's lots of species I've never come across myself (I'm a Kiwi fly fisherman, so I've caught heaps of trout and salmon and pelagic species like kahawai). If I ever make it out to the UK I'm definitely going to try for the coarse species. I'm living in California now and am enjoying the bass etc but it's always good to try something new, I've always been a bit jealous of Pommy coarse fisherman, looks like fun.
As for Germany, I thought they had a good range of species there too? Like giant zander, carp etc. Anything can be caught on the fly if you use the right method. Look online, I bet you'll be surprised what your options are.

If you knew how me and my fishing pals would give our right arms to fly fish the Kiwi rivers!!! I've got DVDs of Kiwi fishing trips......

It makes me smile to think of you wanting to come to UK to coarse fish! Those guys now either pole fish (which bores me sensless), or throw boilies out in the hope of snaring some fattened up monster carp!

If you ever get over to the UK, then get in touch, because the real joys of UK coarse fishing are well off the beaten track! Trotting for chub and barbel in the River Severn, or trying to catch a genuinely wild grass carp in a secret river etc. Catching a 10lb tench in the dawn from a beautiful pond etc.

But sitting by a hole in the ground, catching 100 cruscian carp, after catching Bass in Cal, or Wild Brown Trout in NZ, well-it would hurt me to think about it!

I might be moving to a City on the Rhein, then I could start fishing here.... But till then, I'll be up in Scotland this summer, trying to catch tiny (but wild!!!) brownies....

Yep I spent about 20 years fishing the South Island rivers and lakes for big old wily browns and the odd 'bow. Salmon up the rivers too, though not world-class. Took it for granted I guess. I know what you mean about wild browns, I've tried to motivate myself here in CA to go for trout but they're almost all hatchery raised, so completely stupid. Bass and the panfish (crappy, bluefish etc) are a hell of a lot of fun on fly. Striped Bass too of course, they're everywhere right now.
But yeah, doing that whole coarse fishing thing has always appealed. Interesting, complex rigs and presentation methods, lots of fish at times and a good vibe too by all accounts. Sounds like a great way to while away a pleasant summer arvo'. I was down in Rarotonga and Aitutaki a few months ago and finally had a shot at bones, those little buggers go like shit off a stick. Hell I'd even like to try for those monster congers that the UK is known for, that sounds like a blast too.
You can be sure if I'm ever in the mother country I'll be looking for contacts so I can slip away from the wifey-poo for a bit of angling.
Good luck in Scotland!

lubidog posted on May 24 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
Fishbong posted on May 24 2005 at 10:50 PM said:
EEwww, carp...

You can catch a carp with a fly! I've had several 'take' a fly! But it was a fly that looked like one of those horrible boilies (lump of bright cloured artificial bait).....!

But a wild english grass carp, stalked from a river.....!!! Now that's a fish!

BTW. we never eat course fish, they all taste horrible! But do you Germans fly fish for trout? Cos I'm missing it so bad at the moment (just 6 weeks....!)

Danke

Now I remember about 20-odd years ago in NZ they played a series from the UK, of a couple of silly toff buggers fishing for a variety of species, many coarse episodes especially. You'll likely know the very series I'm talking of, it was beautifully filmed and the two codgers had a great rapport. There was one episode where they were trying to nail giant carp in a small lake. It was brilliant, seemed bloody exotic to a Kiwi. That series got in my head and hasn't left since. Do you know what the series was? I'd give an arm to get a boxed dvd set if I could remember.

lizard808uk posted on May 24 2005 at 03:21 PM said:
Give me my boat back from Marina del Rey, strap me down and give me some Barracuda fishin' - it puts hairs on your chest for all the wrong reasons. Tastes good though with Cajun spices :)

I've always wanted to do Marlin but I'm not built up enough for it.

I've never gotten a marlin either but I understand if you use a stand-up light rig it's a lot easier. On the wee ones anyway! I also heard a wee rumour there was a population of bones in San Diego harbour.
There's a good target if it's true.

EDIT: pedantic spelling correction.

alyinsanfran posted on May 25 2005 at 01:47 AM said:
Now I remember about 20-odd years ago in NZ they played a series from the UK, of a couple of silly toff buggers fishing for a variety of species, many coarse episodes especially. You'll likely know the very series I'm talking of, it was beautifully filmed and the two codgers had a great rapport. There was one episode where they were trying to nail giant carp in a small lake. It was brilliant, seemed bloody exotic to a Kiwi. That series got in my head and hasn't left since. Do you know what the series was? I'd give an arm to get a boxed dvd set if I could remember.

I reckon you are talking about Chris Yates and Bob James. They are my real fishing heros, cos they are all about the actual fishing, and not the end result. So they fish with ancient tackle, try new methods (they are trying to catch every fish on the fly!!!!) etc. And they are passionate about wild fish!

Chris Yates actually caught the largest Carp in the UK, but couldn't be bothered to register it. They are brilliant and mad, but excellent anglers. Passionate too about the envioronment they fish in.

This web page sells some of their vids....

Click me!

Again, it's bizarre to think of you thinking of our fishing as exotic! But their style of fishing is great!

And bone fishing, one day, one day......

EvilDragon posted on May 24 2005 at 07:40 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on May 24 2005 at 03:11 AM said:
exael posted on May 23 2005 at 07:47 PM said:
the closest thing I can think of is Harvest Moon 2 for the GBC on wish you can ALSO fish :p (besides a lot of other stuff eheh)

Also, there's Legend of the River King 1 & 2 for the GBC ...

I always wondered: Is this a fishing game or an RPG?
Worth playing it?

It's sort of an RPG, but since the guy can also fish I mentioned it eheh. It's a very cool game if you have the patience for it, especially the SNES version! (doesn't run too bad on opensnes 0.3 except for some minor transparency issues which won't affect anything), basically all you gotta do is to run a farm and do some side stuff.. It's good fun, however in the SNES version you can't fish as far as i can recall.
Try it and lemme know what you think, I loved it.

EDIT: Was referring to Harvest Moon :p

Back