Flash Games

jislizard

I know next to nothing about Macromedia or Shockwave Flash but i saw on their site they support Linux.

Is it likely that Shockwave will be available for the GPX2? I know that there is a 'lite' version coming out for mobile phones etc. I even have a version for the xbox, although it isn't interactive.

Would Gamepark need to get a licence or would that be down to the individual. I only have a few games that are .swf but there seem to be plenty around.

Many thanks

the first of many questions

jislizard posted on Sep 20 2005 at 06:43 PM said:
Is it likely that Shockwave will be available for the GPX2? I know that there is a 'lite' version coming out for mobile phones etc. I even have a version for the xbox, although it isn't interactive.

Take a look at gameswf or swfdec for open-source SWF players that may be able to be modified to play on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Flash player on my Pocket PC which is pretty cool and there some decent games out there plus software to 'rip' the games from sites.

But i mostly use the Flash player to play the Flash version of Star Wars. I'm sure most of you have heard of Star Dudes and the other follow ups ? Excellent they are, 3 minutes or so of the whole film packed into this small flash cartoon, very funny also.

Would be great to play these on the go and others

gameswf uses hardware 3D rendering. No good for us. :(

swfdec might be good for porting to Gp2X. Also maybe gplflash.

But I agree with this topic, a flash player on GP2X would be great.

From, my little experience of using gplflash. It was very buggy, and only covered up until flash 4(no interaction). Although sound has been added recently. I've never heard of swfdec, but its a good link. I've wanted to get rid of binary flash on my computer for ages.

there was a noninteractive flashplayer for gp32linux, so it shouldnt be a problem for the gp2x

I wouldn’t hold on breath on flash support as Macromedia only supports it on Linux when using an x86 processor. The open source options really are unviable alternatives as in there current state they certainly don’t support complex flash applications like games. If you want a flavor of how bad the situation with flash on Linux is once you leave x86 take a look at the x86-64 (running in 64bit mode) crowd. There all running Firefox and Flash inside of a 32-bit x86 compatible environment inside their 64 main environment as that’s the only way to get flash working properly. When you factor in Java, and 32bit windows codec’s you have the reason why I run a 32bit linux on a 64bit machine.

From, my little experience of using gplflash. It was very buggy, and only covered up until flash 4(no interaction). Although sound has been added recently.

The project was stopped in June 2000 and was just restarted some month ago, so we can expect much better releases in the future. They reprogram it completly because flash 4 and newer versions doesn't have much in common AFAIK.

DijiTao posted on Sep 20 2005 at 07:47 AM said:
I wouldn’t hold on breath on flash support as Macromedia only supports it on Linux when using an x86 processor. The open source options really are unviable alternatives as in there current state they certainly don’t support complex flash applications like games. If you want a flavor of how bad the situation with flash on Linux is once you leave x86 take a look at the x86-64 (running in 64bit mode) crowd. There all running Firefox and Flash inside of a 32-bit x86 compatible environment inside their 64 main environment as that’s the only way to get flash working properly. When you factor in Java, and 32bit windows codec’s you have the reason why I run a 32bit linux on a 64bit machine.

I've also found Flash support to be generally very crappy on Linux and FreeBSD (I use the linux-pluginwrapper for Flash on my BSD machine). Sound often winds up out of sync with the video, among other problems under both OSes. Maybe after Adobe buys Macromedia they'll open up the spec for Flash like with PDF so I can get a decent flash player on a free OS. They don't seem interested, so why not make it possible for someone else to do it? I just don't get these companies.

or maybe GPH could simply pay for a version for the 2X? Of course realistically I dont see this happening for several years, like maybe after they release some form of official web browser... not that I expect that either...

...so really there's only two chances, Slim and None.

Flash Movies with sound would be really cool if supported!

But also Flash Games are great I hope they will be possible to play, the hardware should be good enough for them

Think of it this way - Does the PSP support flash? If Sony can't get flash for there system out of Macromedia what makes you think GPH can.. If flash really was an open standard, or atleast had a good open source plugin I'm sure Sony would have worked out something for the PSP by now.

The reason may be: Because they have not tried. A number of modern Plash games and apps would run quite slow on the PSP and Sony probably thinks this would be more embarassing than not having it at all. The licensing fee might also be an issue. Sony did have Flash on their PDAs I think...

Flash is a bag a poo, hopefully people will spend more time programing good software :p

OrR posted on Sep 22 2005 at 10:02 AM said:
The reason may be: Because they have not tried. A number of modern Plash games and apps would run quite slow on the PSP and Sony probably thinks this would be more embarassing than not having it at all. The licensing fee might also be an issue. Sony did have Flash on their PDAs I think...

I agree, they arnt really trying right now for such a thing and I have a feeling they might not even be able to get it to work on a PSP the way the want it because of a lack of RAM or other architecture issue.

Back