Flash Player On Pandora

mth411

I didn't like the swfdec plugin for flash, nothing works (except a few old adds). Gnash wasn't any better (ancient version, the newest gnash isn't bad on my desktop).

Found the n900 maemo5 flash 10.1.105.6, wasn't working with midori, but does with firefox.

Installed firefox using opkg install firefox,
installed n900 flash plugin to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplugin.so
Verified version on the about flash page.

Doesn't play too bad, needs to be 320-240p.
Can upload a video on youtube or something if people are interested.

mth411 said:
I didn't like the swfdec plugin for flash, nothing works (except a few old adds). Gnash wasn't any better (ancient version, the newest gnash isn't bad on my desktop).

Found the n900 maemo5 flash 10.1.105.6, wasn't working with midori, but does with firefox.

Hell yea. How does it work for things other than youtube vids?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
mth411 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a video of that. Just get a feel of how it performs.

BAFelton said:
Interested too. And if you could put the links ;)

Links to the libflashplayer.so seem to be getting deleted regularly - both here on and the maemo forum. (Because of the "piracy" issue?)

Perhaps someone could post a known-working search string for Google? I've been trying various searches for hours and I'm just getting links back to these same forum posts. Maybe TI/Adobe legal has asked Google to remove all references to pirated plugins, too? :eek: Doubtful, but you never know.

Hello, I'm a noob at Pandora, though I have a good experience with the Nokia N900 which has quite a similar hardware. I got my Pandora two days ago.

I was now trying to get flash, since I have the libflashplayer.so from the N900 plus one of those leaked from ti.com.

First time, I copied the libflashplayer.so files to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and chmodded to 755. The firefox package I'm using is the 3.6.12 version in pnd format from apps.openpandora.org. When I look at the browser plugins, the flash plugins is there and can be enabled, while the other one (swfdec? 9.0 r999) can be disabled. But when I go to the adobe site, in http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ , to get info on flash, no flash is found on my browser.

Second time I guessed it could not work maybe with the pnd firefox. So I opened a terminal and gave
Code:
sudo opkg update
, then
Code:
sudo opkg install firefox
. Thing is, the install process seemed to stall and after maybe ten minutes I gave a ctrl-c. Nothing was installed.

So, do you have any hint? Is it necessary to use the firefox package from angstrom repos? Why didn't it install with opkg?
Thanks, Ernesto.

EDIT: I was too confident in the speed of the device. Trying again to install firefox, I saw every package that gets downloaded in /tmp/opkg-<something> so it was that I wasn't waiting enough ;) Now I'm going on as in http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58328-farmville-works-on-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__935258 and see where it brings ;)

EDIT2: Beware the plugin seems to go in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/plugins not in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. The leaked ti.com libflashplayer.so works partially, even if not with stellar performances. Google streetview has problems. I guess this is what we may get by now.

Um, no. Like I mentioned in the other threads, uninstall swfdec swfdec-mozila and swfdec-gnome.

The plugin does work from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (barring conflicts from swfdec-mozilla or gnash).

I had pandora radio running for an hour, no problems.

Every flash site I went to worked, wifi was a bit choppy though. Might need HotFix5 to help with wifi problems, which is in beta and will reset all your settings for now.

And use the opkg firefox, as it works. I originally installed firefox by grabbing the gecko-mediaplayer package (mplayer wrapper for avi/mp3/other files online), which does nothing for flash.

I've been trying this setup, and have removed the various swfdec versions, gnash, installed firefox from opkg and upgraded SQLite. However with libflashplayer.so in the plugin directory, firefox closes almost immediately, if run from terminal it gives off "Bus Error".

Which version of flash are you using (the n900, or the omap)? Whats the md5sum on the libflashplugin.so ?

mth411 said:
Which version of flash are you using (the n900, or the omap)? Whats the md5sum on the libflashplugin.so ?

N900 stock firmware from Nokia has flash 9.something which can be tweaked to pretend it's 10.something. This plugin does not work in my hands on my Pandora.

The leaked ti.com flash I got that seems to work (sort of, and not consistently) is 10.1.105.6, whose md5sum is 7b1b7d0ae1692aabc77309500e2ba7d4.

Well, I've got that mysterious Maemo Flash 10.1 plugin as well now, and - surprise surprise - it has the same MD5 sum as your leaked ti.com plugin...

However, there's a lot of interesting stuff to be seen when you drive that Maemo Flash 10 plugin through strings.
There are dozens of OMAP3530 (I can't find any other OMAPs being listed) and DSP-related strings which actually suggests that it is capable of using the DSP.

I wonder why there are several x86_64 related strings as well, they can also be found in the x86 Linux plugin...

Back