FLU installation quality.

RobertG

Got my FLU GP32 this morning (whooo!!), and it's great and everything except the FLU installation is a bit crap.

There's quite a bit of dust trapped inbetween the screen and the lens, which really lights up when the light is turned on. It's not that big a deal on bright games, but on darker games it makes the screen look really dirty :( There's also a smear on either the screen or the light (it's on the inside anyway so I can't wipe it off), which bugs the hell out of me!

If it wasn't for those things I think this would be better than the GPA SP light (mine has a purplish tint near the bottom..), the light is bright, doesn't wash out colours, and spreads evenly etc.. Just really poorly installed :(

EDIT: it seems to be leaky too.. I'm sure it's gaining more dust!

Mine has some sort of weird smudge/goo on it in the middle left. Its annoying enough everyone can see it, but so far not annoying enough I want to open the unit to rub it off. (I'm afraid I'd mark the glass, or let a pile of dust in...).

How easy is it to take apart and clean the underside of the glass or the top of the FLU?

Seems like they did it quick, and weren't afrasid to leave thumbprints :/

But overall, I'm quite happy.. the FLU is very nice overall as you say, and the brightness really gives a good "retro feel.. like a C64 monitor with the brightness cranked :)

jeff

You do not want to open it, trust me ;) Look for the last GP32 update on retrogames.com.. hehe.

Like you said, the flaws are obvious enough that you can see them but they're not THAT bad. Once you're playing you don't notice them really. I'm still maaaaaaad though ;)

I got my FLU delivered from play-asia yesterday. Maybe I've been lucky as I haven't noticed any dust or fingerprints yet (fingers-crossed)... although I can see how dust could get into the screen as there is a worrying gap between the screen and the casing.

Still happy though :D as the screen would be pretty disappointing without the FLU... worth every penny.

Paul

Got mine yesterday, for $59 extra I'd rather have gotten one without the light. Mine has two small smudges on opposite corners of the screen and a few specks of dust on the screen. The screen doesn't even fit fully into the GP32 like on a regular unit. They simply pulled the screen out and stuck the light under it and replaced the screen leaving it sticking out a few mm. I wish I could get a kit and do it myself. That way I could cut out the plastic around the screen so the light would fit more snugly. Oh well. If they do end up selling the FLU separate, maybe they'll have a separate light guide, which would make it easy to pop open the GP32 FLU replace the light guide, cut out the case a bit and replace the screen.

Also, two questions:
Does the FLU leak and allow dust to get in? Mine is awful bright around the edges of the screen.

Anyone heard of the FLU kit coming out separate? With a light guide or anything?

This is horrid. I have the non-FLU, looking to get one, but now 3 out of 4 reports here include marks or dust. I could probably open it up (that guy on retrogames only scratched it ... easy to avoid) but it shouldn't happen. If they're selling a lot, they should put more effort into it, make it less cheap, or at least affix the damn screen to the console properly. Sheesh...

- Rico

Rico, from experience with GBA afterburners if you so much as touch the light guide (or even look at it funny!) you get a permanant smear.

To be honest the FLU isn't too bad. I guess I was expecting something *perfect*. Maybe if you leave it for a few months they'll get better at installing them ;)

I was considering buying a Flu version too, but won't now. Instead, I will wait for the kit (if it ever appears).

The trouble I had with dust in the screan of my iPaq tells me not to bother. If they are not using clean-room procedures and sealing the case correctly, frankly I don't want one.

no problems here.. pretty happy with my FLU.

all I can suggest is wait a little while as they're "brand new" and probably still working the kinks out, there's always a rush to getthe first gen (of ANYTHING) out. Remember all the defective playstation 2's and Dreamcasts?

Got mine today from GBAX.COM and have found no problems with mine.

I bought a backlit Gameboy Advance last year from Liksang and that had dust particles in it, so I don't think it's exclusive to GP32

I'm beginning to think the flexi light connected to an external port is the better option (and cheaper!).. you can get these for under £3.00 for the GBA and then butcher it to fit the GP32 ;)

If there is some place dust can get it, wouldn't ordinary tape fix that?

paulh posted on May 7 2003 said:
... although I can see how dust could get into the screen as there is a worrying gap between the screen and the casing.

Mine also have that gap :( Is there an easy way to fix that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back