FLU owners - dust, trapezoid etc.

Nutzo

I've had my GP32 FLU for a couple of days so far, and have two issues.

First, I notice dust particles accumulating under the screen. It's not a huge deal, but they are there. It reminds me of some PDA's and the GBA Afterburner. I wonder if there's a way to safely open it up to use condensed air to clean it occasionally? Also wonder if there's a way to seal it better inside.

Secondly, I have a case of trapezoid effect. If you don't know what that is, it's kinda like a line of light glare on the screen, hard to explain, but you can see it on the Afterburner forums if you ever went there.

Neither issue makes me sorry I have a GP32 FLU because once you start using and playing stuff it's not a problem. The light is great, and I'm getting good battery life on my rechargeables. I also notice that with the light off, you can't really notice the dust, so I wonder if normal GP32's also collect dust inside, but people just don't notice it?

So how are other GP32 FLU's? Do you share those issues at all? If not, I'd like to hear your impressions as well. I think they're still new at installing FLU's and in a few months maybe they'll be able to correct trapezoid (Nintendo did so with the SP) and maybe they'll seal the display inside much better. I dunno.

If anyone here finds a good way to safely clean out the dust and/or adjust the trapezoid effect, please write a FAQ or something. Once FLU kits become available, I think many people will want to know as well.

Mine has dust in it too, the exact same way you have described. I have been experimenting with ways of safely cleaning it out. Compressed air does seem like the best way to go. I'm going to have to STRONGLY reccomend nobody try to clean out the dust with any other method. Cleaning the screens with a solution and cloth without them streaking or getting marks on the inside is an absolute bitch. And if you accidentally scratch up the inner screen (the one that provides illumination for the front light) the way I did, have fun trying to figure out out how to get it replaced outside Korea. Luckily I bought from Entware on instinct and they are being very helpful in getting my system redone by Hahotech.

To reassure others who may be worried about stuff on the inside: the dust IS removable, and it's just dust specs. If there isn't enough to really annoy you during gameplay yet, wait and clean it out when it does get to that point. Also, I repeat: ONLY USE COMPRESSED AIR. Wiping down the inside will just get dust in different places, unless you're in a dust free factory or something.

I also think cleaning the outside GP32 screen with tissues is a bad idea because there are so many little particles that come off of each one. These particles just so happen to be very visible under the type of light the FLU unit gives off. Since the unit is obviously not sealed as well as some, I think this is how lots of the additional particles in my GP32 showed up over time. So always use a light cloth or lens cleaning wipes instead.

When the FLU units come out all hell is going to break loose unless word gets out and methods on how to clean the inside of the system are worked on. Maybe there should be a faq on cleaning the GP32 to keep others from repeating some of these mistakes.

Mine has a HUGE trapizoid effect on only one side but I don't care :) (I can also always turn it off :p) I haven't noticed any dust on the inside but there is a strange internal (it looks like internal) smudge just the size of a thumbnail.

i have 2 tiny specs under my screen. did you guys ever notice the gray frame around the screen. when i have my light on i see that the light shines out from the ouside of that gray frame. i was in a deep trance i i thought "damn" the dust must be coming from that hole where the light was shining through. i thought about taking a bead of clear caulk and sealing it but im afraid to try. what do you guys think. do you think its coming from that hole around the gray frame?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. :p

Yeah, I think that opening around the frame is a problem. But more importantly the FLU needs to have things sealed inside to keep dust out. Then the frame opening wouldn't be such a problem, if that is the way dust gets in, not sure.

Anyway, neither issue detracts from how brilliant the GP32 is, and the light is still worth having despite the imperfections. My GBA SP has one spec inside, and seems sealed tight otherwise, with no new dust ever appearing. My Afterburner GBA has an ever growing ant farm of dust! ;)

I'll use compressed air in a few weeks if more dust gets inside, I have a bunch already to be honest, but it's not that bad yet to make playing the unit annoying.

I kinda wish Game Park would make a new GP32 design to better accomodate the light the way GBA did with the SP. Not that I want an SP design, I love the comfort of the current GP32. I just would like to see it better sealed around the screen and maybe make the system a little more compact. And make it black. :) I can dream, can't I?

Back