Release For all of us

I recently bought pandoramic.com with the intention of setting up a pandora fansite & forum. Since i bought it, these forums have been released, which seems to negate the need for a new pandora-specific forum, so i've been looking for a new direction.

If anyone wants to do a bit of a description for how the workflow would... well... work, i'll have a look at the feasbility for implementing it.

Please take care of it. I'll see if I can get the concept I've seen thrown together.

So, I like the color scheme of this forum here, and I think that's what we should go for in the beta.

Little website banner at the top, with a navigation bar, account status?
nav bar should hold things like: home, favorites, projects, profile, preferences.

I think we should persue the "facebook" look. so, main page should be a simple login/signup.

login, you get updates and newsfeeds on your home page. config in preferences.

you go to your profile page and see your record. This is where it should not be facebook. It's about the projects and not the people. A personal profile should be simple. name/handle, current project, previous projects, skills, favorite projects.

next, project pages. I definitely like the thought of having them based off of the quest system of Final Fantasy Tactics. Four pages or so, overview, status/completiveness, needed bits/skills to contribute, message board.
I think that mostly stands for itself.

I think there should be another classification for Ideas. So people can get concepts out into the open.

Maybe we can have facebook groups too, for development teams. Don't know if people will go for it, though. I sounds like it would have some use.

I think that all will make a good concept. I'd like to see this come to fruition, so I'll be sure to keep checking on this. If you have trouble with something, please be sure to ask, and I'll see if I can make a point a little clearer.

I actually wanted to create a site like that... but I get bored of web stuff really quickly and my php skills aren't so strong... (sometimes it feels too similar to c++ and I can't figure out how php would do things)

Long story short, it basically what Project Infinity is supposed to be... PI is currently a bit broken...

Well so far we have two domain names and some code, the system that *-apps.org uses is not opensource so we would need to figure something else out for that. there are some good php frameworks out there that could be useful but it would still take some time to get something, to a reasonable quality. Not sure what you guys think but I would be tempted to drop the idea of the "good/bad" rating system that *-apps has since it's likely it'll discourage developers.

Re: 'Wishlist' - Pandora feature request website

The developers could have use of a system where they could request something they needed for example some sound effects or 3d models, or someone to help them on a project. So maybe focus more on what the developers want, and not requests from users. But to have a voting system for the dev fund sounds lika good idea; the most wanted program/port/emulator will get the most money.

Btw, a similar topic already exist:
http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?t=381

Merged into that thread. Thanks! -javaJake

How about ditch a traditional rating system of stars or whatever and just have a popularity counter of how many people have downloaded it and show a few comments. Ratings, I find, are almost never a good judge of product.

Am I to understand that you have a project throwing together, Lee? If so, thank you.

I like the concept player4 suggested. If you do have a page for needed skills or things people could contribute, it might be handy if there were an easy report people could look at, searching through what was needed. For instance, with a small db back-end feeding to a form where you could indicate:
- General type of development: sound, graphics (3d), graphics (2d), programming, concept (you get the gist)
- Format: MIDI, MP3 (for sound); OpenGL ES 2.0, 1.1 (for 3D graphics); Python, C++, C, Perl, etc (for programming)
- Short description: "We need five different 1 second long bell sounds for our menu system."

This could help the several people who keep coming by saying, "I can do this! Does anyone need me?" These helpful people often seem to get lost in the crowd. Something like this could be lot of work, but as long as I'm dreaming... :)

I've got the beginings of something but it's going to take some time, I haven't got a domain name but I have got a lot of excess hosting capacity which could be used for this. I'm looking into what I can do as far a backend is concerned but my php is a little rusty but I have found a nice light framework that looks interesting ( http://code.google.com/p/simple-php-framework/ )...

It would also be a good idea to post links to walk-throughs and tutorials for various skills required to help out with said projects. I, like many here, am interested in helping with these projects but lack the know how to be useful. And since the majority of the pandora users are older, (late 20's, early 30's) there is a large pool of capable people with the interest and attention span to learn to help. Not that people under 20 can't help, I just mean that if it was a bunch of 9 years-olds wanting to help, they'd prob lose interest when things got tough.

People could pick an area they have an interest in and try to learn it and ask questions to other learners and experienced pros as they went. I would love to be a part of something like that.

I really like all your ideas, if we were able to pull this off and it was successful, it could probably double the development rate for the pandora within a year.

Good points, MonkeyChops. I too would like to help but don't know how at present.

I also think it would be fantastic if a few people could be persuaded to do a few how-to's. There are a lot of people asking about learning coding, and there has been mention relating to, for example, tile creation. If some of this could be gathered together I think there are a lot of people inspired to try something new.

Although people have offered hosting, which I think is very generous, did that not ought to be on the openpandora.org server (which is ED's), if they are agreeable? Not to detract from the offers, things change - for example, last year I had a stack of premium hosting unused, this year I have none.

I like the ideas being discussed here - certainly one to watch.

If we can get a "rough draft" thrown together, the pandora team may feel that the project is worthy enough to replace the file archive they already have on the server. so, they may host it, if we're good boys (girls?).
they have the archive...but it's just that. an archive.

i think a good source of inspiration for this project could be ModDB. its very similar to whats being discussed here.

TaG said:
I also think it would be fantastic if a few people could be persuaded to do a few how-to's.
yea that would be great, but just to get started, I was thinking of linking existing how-to and walk-throughs, I'm sure there are a ton of them.

TaG said:
Although people have offered hosting, which I think is very generous, did that not ought to be on the openpandora.org server (which is ED's), if they are agreeable? Not to detract from the offers, things change - for example, last year I had a stack of premium hosting unused, this year I have none.

Perhaps to get the ball rolling, we should start with one of the offered hosts and once things are established and functioning correctly we can goto Ed and see if he wants to host it.

Bump! Not enough interest to get something like this off the ground?

I think its a great idea but is suffering from lack of visitors to this site, I think this needs a thread started on the other forums.

There are some great ideas in this thread. I will definitely be watching for any developments.

Back