Forgetting At Home, How Will You Connect To The Net?

Away from home what will you use for a ''net connection?

• USB 3G / E220 Modem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phone + Bluetooth

• Phone + USB Cable

• Looking for open WiFi hotspots

• Aircrack and other tool(s) to crack into Wifi networks

• Don''t care too much, who really needs the internet everywhere anyway? :-)

• Total voters

CCmachined

Since the new news that USB Modem dongles should now just work out the box, will you be using one out and around? or the beforementioned phone+bluetooth / phone+usb option? or just wifi? :)

Threw in the second question for fun, should be interesting :pandora1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed the possibility of choosing several options...

I'll connect looking for open Wifi hotspots plus phone + bluetooth/cable when there's not wifi, so I chose that last one. And I'll do all those things you ask in my Pandora: internet, PDA, netbook things (inc. multimedia), develop and gaming. I chose PDA because that is something new I'll be doing with Pandora that I'm not doing right now, but I look forward to it.

I´ll wait for the reports of others. Ideally, i´d use a USB modem, but i fear it would diminish battery life. Other than that, Bluetooth tethering.

I have internet access at home and at work. I don't need it on the way to or from work :)

If I'm desperate over the weekend, I'm sure I can find a nice Wifi hotspot from certain fast food outlets :D

At my university (Brown University), there's basically campus WiFi everywhere. Even in the open quads, you can get internet access. It's ridiculous to the point at which there are power outlets in the lampposts on the main quad. I'll just stay on the school's secured WiFi connection. No need for other stuff - I don't frequently go way off campus.

Will aircrack even work on Pandora? I was under the impression it required modifications to the wifi drivers to enable monitor mode.

hmm i see. interesting that more people dont care than are going to use a USBmodem :p

Indeed, using a usb modem will drain batteries. I hear that they draw around 400mA maximum from the USB's 5V.

Pandora's batteries are rated 4000mAh at 3.7v, so total storage is 14,800 mWh. that is supposed to last 10 hours, so power usage is 1,480 mW. I hear that usbmodems take up to 400mA @ 5V which is 2,000 mW. 2 watts! hmm. Presuming that constant then total power usage is 2000+1480 = 3480 mW.

14800mWh / 3480mW = 4 and a half hours of usage?
If the usbmodem takes half that power, 1,000mW(1 watt) (5V, 200mA) then we're looking at 2480mW = 6 hours of runtime.

Most places I know either have open wifi or wifi where I know the key (Most locations at Georgia Tech have wifi that's open to students).

You've forgot one category i will probably use the Pandora A LOT for... Media! Wonderful audio quality (way better than my iPod, probably), great battery time and a marvellous screen will sure do it for me.

Wifi hotspots, mainly. I think this is the cheapest wifi-enabled handheld device that isn't a iphone/ipod touch, so I'll go for this one. I would use it for browsing the net/entering Jabber networks/read news with an rss client/some gaming/media player/misc.

I want wifi because of open networks. Fast connections at the only cost of mantainance of equipment. If I want to enter Internet and I'm away from a wifi hotspot, I'll use a phone + bluetooth/usb.

I wonder if it is possible to tether iphones to linux based machines? That is what I will be doing with my Pandora if that is the case (man it sure is strange to type without using contractions :D)

'CC_machine' said:
I hear that usbmodems take up to 400mA @ 5V which is 2,000 mW. 2 watts! hmm. Presuming that constant then total power usage is 2000+1480 = 3480 mW.
No, "maximum" does not equal "average" :) The max draw will occur when the transmitter is on, but that only happens in short bursts.

'GuSec' said:
You've forgot one category i will probably use the Pandora A LOT for... Media! Wonderful audio quality (way better than my iPod, probably), great battery time and a marvellous screen will sure do it for me.
This is true. I knew that poll was missing something.

That said, "gaming" will still probably be first for me, with "media" a strong second.

If all goes according to plan, the Pandora + TV-out cable will largely replace my DVD player, particularly in other people's houses and on vacations.

'pelrun' said:
'CC_machine' said:
I hear that usbmodems take up to 400mA @ 5V which is 2,000 mW. 2 watts! hmm. Presuming that constant then total power usage is 2000+1480 = 3480 mW.
No, "maximum" does not equal "average" :) The max draw will occur when the transmitter is on, but that only happens in short bursts.

yes, that's why i halved it for the "6 hours" figure. It'll probably take a little less, giving us 6-7 hours presuming the Panda on its own will last 10 hours.

Sorry that i missed "media" off the poll, the main curiousity is the internet connection anyway. interesting that around 30% of forum users are planning a mobile internet solution. 30% * 4000 = 1200 users? hmm, of course these stats have are nowhere near enough votes to assume that :lol:. Just make sure people know that they can use usbmodems and bluetooth+phone internet in the manual or somewhere)

'spinghed' said:
Sorry that i missed "media" off the poll, the main curiousity is the internet connection anyway. interesting that around 30% of forum users are planning a mobile internet solution. 30% * 4000 = 1200 users? hmm, of course these stats have are nowhere near enough votes to assume that :lol:. Just make sure people know that they can use usbmodems and bluetooth+phone internet in the manual or somewhere)
This poll has a natural bias to it. A topic talking about net away from home (with a title implying it) is only naturally going to attract people who plan to use it with the net away from home.

'fireball87' said:
'spinghed' said:
This poll has a natural bias to it. A topic talking about net away from home (with a title implying it) is only naturally going to attract people who plan to use it with the net away from home.

although i did as "don't care?" as a suggestion in the description underneath the poll in the topic list, good point.

Um, the E220 I own sucks about 500mA, not 400mA, as far as I can tell. I also have to plug it into two USB sockets (with the split cable) or my laptop goes into an overcurrent state (or is it undercurrent? I never remember).

Anyway, my usage pattern will be:
1) Use free wi-fi whenever possible. There are quite a few around here.
2) Use 3G via BT+phone otherwise.
3) I will not use my E220 dongle despite having a data plan and all. 2) is just more feasible. I own a Nokia tablet and I know what works for me.

Back