Frash

Chairman_Now

Frash - a wrapper for the Android Flash plugin, allows Flash on the iPad:

http://github.com/comex/frash
http://www.redmondpie.com/flash-on-apple-ipad-video/

I have a feeling that Flash on ARM-based Linux just got a lot easier to achieve.

Not sure if this is the same thing as my mate has on his Andriod, but he has the ability to view flash now.... But it's slooooooow and painful bufferring time

I hope this is a dif thing, as of course I'm keen for flash too, but we was both excited when getting this on his phone, but it wasn't really watchable, but then it's first version so can only get better

Fzero said:
Not sure if this is the same thing as my mate has on his Andriod, but he has the ability to view flash now.... But it's slooooooow and painful bufferring time

I hope this is a dif thing, as of course I'm keen for flash too, but we was both excited when getting this on his phone, but it wasn't really watchable, but then it's first version so can only get better

Try reading the link, and maybe you'll know.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Fzero said:

It's an open source wrapper that lets you use the Android flash pluggin on an iPad/Phone. If you're friend is having issues with flash on his actual Android based phone, that's something else entirely.

it doesn't look very laggy in the video.

This will be huge for the pandora, can't wait!

I didn't bother linking through because I don't know for sure what add-on my mate has, if it was this frash one or something else. He has the desire android phone but I just read that flash on android is only on the new froyo 2.2 version, I think my mate must have the 2.1 version only so he was never able to even view flash, untill the other day when someone released an add-on/mod [on xda dev forum]
Anyway this is good to hear for our pandoras, and also for my iPhone which I'm on now, my YouTube app sometimes fails and plays portrait with only sound, so this could let me sack the app and just use YouTube main site.
I'm going to read the article now..

...just watched the vid, much much better than whatever my mate has on his phone, frash seems to be running sweet there, I await the 3GS release and hope someone does do the biz to get this for pandora

Can only hope the wifi issues get sorted otherwise Youtube videos will be unplayable

silverspring said:
Can only hope the wifi issues get sorted otherwise Youtube videos will be unplayable

Hell, youtube is unplayable for me on my laptop on a T1 connection. The site is just badly coded.

-God Ginrai

You all realize that this is pretty much unneeded and mostly irrelevant to running flash plugin on the pandora.

This is mostly so you can load the linux (ELF) .so file in iphone OS (Mach-O), and let it interface with safari, in iphone OS.

We just need to load a linux (ELF) .so in linux (ELF) through a Mozilla plugin interface, which it may already be compliant with. At worst in that case we'd just need some libraries, otherwise, we'd just need a translation layer that, while complex, would be much simpler than frash (Though if that's the case, Frash could be used as documentation for writing the translation.).

God Ginrai said:
Hell, youtube is unplayable for me on my laptop on a T1 connection. The site is just badly coded.

-God Ginrai
lol what are you on about? how is youtube badly coded?

Linux elves and libraries?
6381.jpg

I don't know about all that myself, sounds like this ELF method could be a cleaner option though.

I don't know why YouTube choses flash over h:264 [that's the one, right?] and keep everyone happy, I guess they got reasons, money from the app or something

Fzero said:
6381.jpg

I don't know about all that myself, sounds like this ELF method could be a cleaner option though.

I don't know why YouTube choses flash over h:264 [that's the one, right?] and keep everyone happy, I guess they got reasons, money from the app or something
ATM it is because Google is all for flash if it takes down Apple. Honestly out of all the companies that are trying to rule the world Google and Apple seem the most evil with Google releasing personal information all the time and Apple limiting peoples rights to do things on their own device I really wish Microsoft was back lol.

milkshake said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
lol what are you on about? how is youtube badly coded?

Well, when I use youtube's video player, and compare it's performance to vimeo, metacafe, and veoh, I find that it buffers an extreme amount slower for the same quality video on a T1 connection, and often has weird bugs like the buffering swirl appearing over a playing video, or videos just not even playing when they are buffered, or even videos freezing up when you change the playback position or quality. That seems like bad coding to me. The only thing you could try to say is not bad coding is the slow buffer, but I highly doubt that youtube, now being owned by Google, does not have the bandwidth to support faster buffer times with the amount of users it gets.

Fzero said:
6381.jpg

an ELF is like a Linux EXE, if you look at it simply.

-God Ginrai

TylerAW said:
Fzero said:
6381.jpg

ATM it is because Google is all for flash if it takes down Apple. Honestly out of all the companies that are trying to rule the world Google and Apple seem the most evil with Google releasing personal information all the time and Apple limiting peoples rights to do things on their own device I really wish Microsoft was back lol.

Well youtube didnt used to be owned by Google anyway and when youtube first started it used flash because it was the best solution at the time and has been for a long time.
Only recently we have begun to see a move to h264 mp4 (including Youtube) thanks to apple products; I think thats gonna change soon because people will have to pay rolalties to use those codecs eventually they are only free at the moment, the cost of which gets added onto cost of the OS for example windows and MacOs, not sure how this would work on linux systems.

Google/Youtube is now trying to champion webm webm website link which is meant to be open source codec which should be free for everyone but I bet companies will try to claim patents on it so who knows.

Anyways thats the story of why Youtube uses flash.

Back