Release Frogatto And Friends

Thanks for this port pickle, the game is really well made and has a highly professional feel to it, great choice of porting material. :D

I do get the random crash to desktop issue, but that's no biggie as save points are fairly frequent.

I just got my Pandora yesterday, but only had an hour or so to really play with applications on it. This was one of the .pnd's that I downloaded and I just wanted to say thank you for porting it.

You do good work, sir!

mvickers03 said:
Pickle, mine crashed to desktop, not a hard crash, will let you know if I find anything else

Sorry, I did mean to post this the other day but I found the same as others have already brought forward... The frequent exits to the desktop. I have not experienced any lock ups in the game as of yet.

Love the game.. Cannot wait to play it more.

David...

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is SO nice. I love the widescreen resolution.

Haven't had a crash yet, but it did have some hickups from time to time (probably something running in the background in XFCE, though I had wifi turned off... maybe I'll try from minimenu next time).

Esn said:
This game is SO nice. I love the widescreen resolution.

Haven't had a crash yet, but it did have some hickups from time to time (probably something running in the background in XFCE, though I had wifi turned off... maybe I'll try from minimenu next time).
Yes, every now and then some textures are reloaded and then you get a slight hickup. This does also happen on the PC! In general don't forget that this version of frogatto is not created from the latest release, but the current "work in progress" that will eventually end in frogatto 1.0.4. So some issues (like the frequent "crash to desktop" issues) are to be expected and part of the main game, too. Those crashes might get fixed over the next weekend, though the main devs are rather busy in RL so there won't be any guarantees.

Got some time to play it now. Looks and plays good. I had no complete lockups either. Only the crashes that bring you back to the desktop.

Ok, I finally met that bug; it booted me back out to the OS after I met the owl.

I also think there is some optimization work that could be done to improve the framerate... the framerate in XFCE is not quite smooth. It runs better in Minimenu, though. But still, 500Mhz seems like a lot of power for things to still not be entirely smooth...

I think it would also be really nice if "run" was mapped to "Y" instead of (or in addition to) double-tap direction. I think that would be very comfortable.

I'm getting a real Rayman vibe from this game. Is anyone else?

This really is as brilliant as it looks! Very fun. I also get the random crash-to-desktop thing, which has been happening a bit to often for me to really enjoy it, but I can easily see that this will be an obsession of mine as soon as that is fixed. Ta Pickle, and send regards to the main devs!

IsSuE said:
The game freezes in Nenes house for me. In the basement when I throw the ant at the treasure. Had to take the battery out to restart the device
Please don't do that. You can do a hard-reset of your system by holding the Pandora key and flicking the power switch to the right (it is actually mentioned in the booklet you got with your Pandora, but it's not in a prominent spot).

The one spot which has consistently choppy framerate is the basement of Nene's house; seems to be the flashlight effect that's causing it. The rest of the game also skips a frame now and then, though. (a shame)

Although the game is brilliant, I think I'll wait until the crashing bug is fixed before playing it further. It happens a bit too often...

I discovered one of the problems that always causes it to close on me and go to the desktop and that is if Frogatto is next to a wall and you roll towards it. Hope this helps to solve the problem. ;)

I really enjoyed spending time with this lately, but the crashing has gotten to me so I'll go ahead and wait for another version before I pick it up again. Still, looks and plays pretty well, so I may find my way back to it sooner then planned.

A rebuild and creation of a new package based on latest svn might make sense. The assertion errors are probably fixed now, at least they are supposed to be fixed and more testing is required to be 100% sure. But it should be a *whole lot* better than the existing package. And no, Sirp has not managed to review your patch (to add pandora support right into trunk) yet.

Esn said:
Hey, looks like there's a new version out:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,312

Is the crashing bug fixed?
Would be nice to know on which revision this version is built since the version field still reads "4318-1" which sounds really far of, considering the last (relevant) commit I have seen is this one:
<CIA-84> [07:38:33] Sirp * r4420 /trunk/data/ (level/test.cfg objects/playable/frogatto_playable.cfg): fixed problem which allowed 'super jumps' to be done off ant's heads

Ivanovic said:
Esn said:

Would be nice to know on which revision this version is built since the version field still reads "4318-1" which sounds really far of, considering the last (relevant) commit I have seen is this one:
<CIA-84> [07:38:33] Sirp * r4420 /trunk/data/ (level/test.cfg objects/playable/frogatto_playable.cfg): fixed problem which allowed 'super jumps' to be done off ant's heads

latest svn as of last night

Would be cool if the Game runs stable onto the Pandora because I really want to play this game when I get my Handheld.
The Official Site talks alot about new lightning and improved particle Systems (I hope the Pandora can handle this) but I don't see if they take care of the more serious crash/hanging issues.
Anyway, Thanx again for this port. :)

Esn said:

Just played the new version from the file archive for half an hour, no crashes so far. Was experiencing frequent crashes with the old version. :D

Thanks for the port Pickle.

thanks a lot for this port. playing on the pandora makes it great fun!

i experienced heavy crashes on the old version, too. now i was able to play longer, had one crash though :(

Back