Frontend Launcher For Prboom

CaanDoo

Still Fresh
Just something that I can pick Pwads from. It doesn't have to be complicated. Maybe something along the lines of the Pickle launcher but with the option to choose an Iwad and then a compatible Pwad... Two clicks and then launch the game... simples! :)

CaanDoo said:
Just something that I can pick Pwads from. It doesn't have to be complicated. Maybe something along the lines of the Pickle launcher but with the option to choose an Iwad and then a compatible Pwad... Two clicks and then launch the game... simples! :)

PickleLauncher can probably do that for you. I used it for sms_sdl and pickle himselve uses it for various ports, as long as the prboom port support command line parameters it will work. You'll probably need to find a project that uses it cause i think there's no binary releases only source or get someone to compile a version for u

he used it for the gp2x port of prboom already, it might give you some idea's how to configure it

Last edited by a moderator:
joyrider said:
CaanDoo said:

PickleLauncher can probably do that for you. I used it for sms_sdl and pickle himselve uses it for various ports, as long as the prboom port support command line parameters it will work. You'll probably need to find a project that uses it cause i think there's no binary releases only source or get someone to compile a version for u

he used it for the gp2x port of prboom already, it might give you some idea's how to configure it

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,527

this is how pwads are supported:

Code:
# Global Settings
filepath=./

# Extension Settings
[wad]
exepath=./prboom
blacklist=prboom.wad
arg=-config,prboom.cfg
arg=-iwad,%filename%
arg=-file,%novalue%
[b]argswap=./master/,1,doom2.wad,2,%filename%[/b]

# Entries Settings

the key is argswap (its called argforce in the latest version of the launcher). It composed of parts delimited by commas.
The first is the location of the pwads (or files) to have the argswap applied to.
Second is the argument index, in this case 1 is the -iwad arg.
Third parameter is the string value to replace the default value with.

So in this exmaple a pwad located in ./master will have the %filename% replaced with doom2.wad for the -iwad argument and %novlaue% replaced with the %filename% for -file argument. Which results in a command line call like : ./prboom -config prboom.cfg -iwad doom2.wad -file mypwad.wad

Like I mentioned before argswap is depreciated and replaced with argforce, which is basically the same except that only one overide pair is allowed per argforce. So you would need:
Code:
argforce=./master/,1,doom2.wad
argforce=./master/,2,%filename%

Guys, while I appreciate your help in this it's just way too complicated and abstract to just play a couple of different levels.

What I mean is, I've had my Caanoo for 2 days now and I still can't play custom levels for Doom.

Going by the example given by Pickle above my presumption is to replace the line:

argswap=./master/,1,doom2.wad,2,%filename%

With

argswap=./master/,1,doom2.wad,2,sid.wad

In the profiles.txt document. Following your example with no technical knowledge. I've done that. Nothing happens. The game doesn't load anymore...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or getting snippy. It's just I don't believe there should be a learning curve involving text files and specific syntax just to play some levels of a game. It's a Games machine!

It's no good for noobs to the Caanoo (me!) and it's no good for you lot no doubt being asked the same questions time and again that, to you, seem really quite simple but to the noob is just jibberish.

Example: Tell a Martian how to flush the toilet:

Martian: How do I get rid of this poo?

You: Flush the toilet.

Martian: What's "the toilet"?

You: The thing you poo'd in... (Jeez...)

Martian: Ah, so how do I "flush" it?
You (by now rolling your eyes): You pull the lever to the right of the cystern...

Martian (now a little frustrated and embarrassed): Okay, I'm presuming the cystern is the thing above the 'toilet'. Okay, I've pulled the lever. It's now in my hand... now what do I do...?

You: Arrrgghh, Are you stupid or what?!

Martian: ...shuffles off humiliated and buys a Nintendo DS!

The End. :p

CaanDoo said:
Guys, while I appreciate your help in this it's just way too complicated and abstract to just play a couple of different levels.

What I mean is, I've had my Caanoo for 2 days now and I still can't play custom levels for Doom.

Going by the example given by Pickle above my presumption is to replace the line:

argswap=./master/,1,doom2.wad,2,%filename%

With

argswap=./master/,1,doom2.wad,2,sid.wad

its really not that hard if doom2.wad is the iwad you need then all you had to do was copy your pwads to a folder master which should be in the appdata folder. After that it should just work.
%filename% is a keyword for the launcher to know where to put the filename that was selected. Your change would hardcode it so only sid.wad would be used for the pwad.

Right, okay, I have the doom2.wad and sid.wad in the main PrBoom folder. If I choose doom2.wad and then hit launch Doom II loads up fine. If I choose sid.wad the game loads to the main Doom II screen but when I hit the 'start' button the game just resets back to the launcher...

CaanDoo said:
Right, okay, I have the doom2.wad and sid.wad in the main PrBoom folder. If I choose doom2.wad and then hit launch Doom II loads up fine. If I choose sid.wad the game loads to the main Doom II screen but when I hit the 'start' button the game just resets back to the launcher...

i highlighted your issue, your pwads have to be in the subfolder that the argforce is setup with.
doom2.wad goes in the main folder i.e. /mnt/sd/doom
sid.wad goes in the subfolder i.e. /mnt/sd/doom/master

^
Did that. It still resets back to the launcher... I even wiped the old version off the SD card and put on nice new files in case there was corruption in the config file or something.

CaanDoo said:
^
Did that. It still resets back to the launcher... I even wiped the old version off the SD card and put on nice new files in case there was corruption in the config file or something.

Can you check the logfile for hints on what went wrong and when you started over did you use the default config files? Post the log and/or profile.txt if you changed anything.

Here's a link with everything including the intact file structure:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L8NN1BLA

I hope this helps as I'm totally at a loss. My Doom2 wad and the sid wad both work perfectly fine on all my PC source ports. Peculiarly I had something similar happen with Quake on the Caanoo. Although my pak files were legitimate (bought on Steam) and they worked fine on my PC (as well as Wii and DS) with any source port I tried them with they wouldn't work with Quake on the Caanoo (V8). I've had to use alternative files that are slightly different sizes...

Back