Full Screen Snes Emulator?

MattBlaah

Still Fresh
I am currently using pocketsnes and have tried squidgesnes but it wouldnt load. Are any snes emulators full screen like the megadrive one? playing with big borders either side looks rubbish.

MattBlaah said:
I am currently using pocketsnes and have tried squidgesnes but it wouldnt load. Are any snes emulators full screen like the megadrive one? playing with big borders either side looks rubbish.

Go into the options and set render mode to scaled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunatly the scaled image looks like rubbish too due to the uneven pixel size. SNES would be a good candidate for the smooth horizontal scale like NES, CPS2, and Megadrive low res mode scale.

I am not sure how much that would slow things down though as SNES needs every last bit of speed on the GP2X.

SNES resolution was 256x224 (NTSC) and 256x239 (PAL) for most games. Scaling on the GP2X at 320x240 would be useless. Like Gruso said, unscaled looks awesome. Just ignore the bars. (Like watching 4x3 content on your 16x9 TV in zoom, looks like crap.)

I use latest version of pocketsnes (squidgesnes never worked for me) and it looks awesome on scaled (fullscreen) and there are no borders or something like that :lol:

bman said:
SNES resolution was 256x224 (NTSC) and 256x239 (PAL) for most games. Scaling on the GP2X at 320x240 would be useless. Like Gruso said, unscaled looks awesome. Just ignore the bars. (Like watching 4x3 content on your 16x9 TV in zoom, looks like crap.)
If you look at GPFCE (NES) and use the software horizontal only scale where it leaves the vertical alone and does a *smooth* horizontal scale it is not too bad. The standard blocky scaling using the GP2X hardware looks pretty bad though.

The scaled mode in PocketSNES looks fine to me + it doesn't bother me whether the games look perfect or not, if it did i'd just go out and buy a SNES. :)

DaveC said:
If you look at GPFCE (NES) and use the software horizontal only scale where it leaves the vertical alone and does a *smooth* horizontal scale it is not too bad. The standard blocky scaling using the GP2X hardware looks pretty bad though.
Agreed. I love this scaling. You can notice which lines are being effected if you look really close, but for the most part Its damn impressive. It retains an amazing amount of sharpness. Anyone now has yet to see it, make sure you check out GPFCE.

The SNES usually uses the same 256 horizontal res as the NES, so I would like to hope that it gets implemented one day.

Lurkio said:
The scaled mode in PocketSNES looks fine to me + it doesn't bother me whether the games look perfect or not, if it did i'd just go out and buy a SNES. :)
Most of these old systems look much better unscaled on GP2X than they ever did on the original hardware imo. Metal Slug (NeoGeo) is my favourite series visually, and I couldn't play it on any system other than GP2X now (I laughed when I saw shots of the new Metal Slug 7 for DS. MINE'S BETTER.)

Of course, not everyone has a pixel fetish. :unsure:

Gruso said:
Metal Slug (NeoGeo) is my favourite series visually, and I couldn't play it on any system other than GP2X now

You are a weirdo then :p. If you get hold of a decent monitor the real hardware should look better than on the GP2X (at least, it does on my 29" CGA monitor)...

99% of people playing the original consoles are using a TV though. The '2X display is small and crisp, not large and interlaced. But if I'm just strange, I can deal with that.

Gruso said:
99% of people playing the original consoles are using a TV though. The '2X display is small and crisp, not large and interlaced. But if I'm just strange, I can deal with that.
Well actually NeoGeo doesn't display an interlaced image as it is only 220 vertical not 440 (480).

If you have these games on an RGB arcade monitor they look good. I do think the image still looks better on a GP2X screen at 1:1 than it does on a normal TV using composite or s-video though.

Gruso said:
Of course, not everyone has a pixel fetish. :unsure:
For me it's generally a case of if I can see the picture on the screen and the colours are fairly correct e.g. Marios hat is red and not blue or purple or something then everything is fine. :)

Lurkio said:
For me it's generally a case of if I can see the picture on the screen and the colours are fairly correct e.g. Marios hat is red and not blue or purple or something then everything is fine. :)
That's fine, and that's also why we describe people like you as "noobs". Apologies, because I don't have a completely irrelevant picture to conclude my post.

fishybawb said:
That's fine, and that's also why we describe people like you as "noobs". Apologies, because I don't have a completely irrelevant picture to conclude my post.
:rolleyes:

unicorn_hoveround.jpg

Back