FUSE emulator...annoying sound

hughsey

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask if anyone is getting an annoying constant ticking sound when they start the FUSE emulator up. I cant remember always hearing it, I think it may be a hotfix 6 thing.

Is there a way of getting rid of the sound?

Thanks guys

Hughsey

I had the same problem after HF6. I also downgraded to HF5. Problem solved.

People playing speccy games and complaining about irritating noise! That's like having dinner with the elephant man and complaining that he forgot to comb his hair.

While I kind of see your point, reporting a regression (= bug of the "used to work, new version breaks it") is not exactly an unjustified complaint.

People playing speccy games and complaining about irritating noise! That's like having dinner with the elephant man and complaining that he forgot to comb his hair.
LOL, that must be the best reply I have ever read.....brilliant. In answer to your comment, I guess us speccy fans simply just can't get enough of "that noise"...it's either listening to the speccy load or listen to the mrs nag!

I'm running HF6a4 and I don't have this problem in Fuse, Spectrum sounds as it should.

I've just upgarded from HF6a4 it was fine with that, but with Hofix 6 beta the ticking sound is there. It is kind of sounds like a key is being held down within the emulator.

Sorry for bump but did anyone manage to figure this out, find a workaround

or fix it, I tried everything I could think of (deleting folder outa appdata, changing

sound in OS between ALSA and other one (OSS?) etc) but no joy. It's not just

the sound, although playing a game without music/FX is horrible, but with sound

turned down the framerate of the games doesn't seem as smooth as before HF6 either,

could be imagining this though?

A lot of people from blighty had Spectrums and this is surely one of the most

amazing emulators on the Pandy, just imagine Christmas day and not being

able to play Sir Fred, RoboCop etc etc :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas day with a Spectrum only means one thing to me: A new book full of BASIC programs to type in!

That's like having dinner with the elephant man and complaining that he forgot to comb his hair.
An elephant never forgets!

It's not like Mr Merrick can do anything about his face, but he could at least put a comb through his hair!

Likewise, we can't do anything about the original sound on a game played on a computer produced in 1982, but surely we can do something about not making it any worse!

Sorry for Necrobump! I only just gotten round to upgrading to HF6. FUSE is my most used emulator, and the update has definitely introduced a clicking sound and very poor performance, such as frame rate drops and screen tear - bit of a deal breaker, really. Only seems to happen when the emulation is taking place, navigating the menus stops it.

Hopefully either a FUSE update or the forthcoming HF7 might fix the problem, but I'm sure spectrum gaming isn't a priority amongst most panda people!

Might try ZX Pandy, never bothered before as the FUSE port was perfect - see how that goes.

Yeah, give ZX Pandy a try, I hear it's great <*shameless self promotion*> :)

Thanks for that Dave18. Tried out ZXPandy; very nice but I had quite a few issues with it. Could tell it was designed to run on GP32!

Would prefer, I hate to say it, the FUSE port running great again. But I've always suspected evildragon of being a C64 man. Conspiracy I tell you!

Set up an SD card with HF6a4 as the OS - Fuse works under that, worth it for your Spectrum fix, especially with the simulated raster lines on!

ZX Pandy is nice and handy (poetry) for controls in some games, but I find it's speed can be a bit inconsistent, and my sprawling mass of roms is more grazeable in Fuse's conventional system.

Someone mentioned a port of MESS a while back, maybe that might be the next hope?

A ZX81 emu with mappable D-pad option would also be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will it take to get Fuse run without that annoying clicking.. Who currently maintains it.. I think I emailed DaveC ?? But nothing..

What will it take to get Fuse run without that annoying clicking.. Who currently maintains it.. I think I emailed DaveC ?? But nothing..

I was going to port FBZX, but if everyone wants FUSE back, I'll do it - the maintainer of the original linux version is a friend of mine.

D.

Thanks ZXDunny,

I really like FUSE and it would be great to see it usable again.

:)

The changelog says they fixed sound in 1.0.0 version, the .pnd in repo is labeled 0.10.0.2, so I guess it's actual emulator bug and only works on old pandora firmwares due to some kind of luck. Sounds like simply recompiling 1.0.1 with SteveM's changes should do the trick.

Back