Game Artist Wanted

aaronson911

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is there any one in these forums with artistic talent that would be interested in collaborating with me a xna community game. I am a solid programmer but lack any type of art skills. I am making a game in the style of the Mario 3 mine game. I have a demo of my the game at www.thevotingsite.com/game.zip Any royalties would be split.

Wow. This is the exact opposite of pretty much every other "want to make a game" posts I've ever seen. Usually it's "I have this great idea for a game! You code it for me, and I'll split the money with you!" How generous, I say to these people, with all the sarcasm I can muster. First time I've ever seen it the other way around :)
Unfortunately I have minimal art skill as well. I do, however, wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Unfortunately I have minimal art skill as well.
No way, me too!
Perhaps we should agree not to post on here...

Also, you won't find too many people here who are willing to work for an XNA project.
A straw poll showed a 50/50 split between Windows and Linux users, and since XNA games will neither run on Linux nor any of the consoles on here, I'm not sure how many people will want to work on a project they will hardly get a chance to even play.

Well, I have been posting in art forums but I have not had much luck in finding an artist. I am not a big poster but I lurk in these forums all the time...its addicting. I own a gp2x and I have ordered a Pandora. I guess the main reason I visit here is that I am really in to retro gaming. My game is designed in an old school style which some members might appreciate. I do hope to eventually write some code for the Pandora but my game is a 4 person game played in a social setting, like a living room, so the xbox seems like a good platform. I know some people here are very anti Microsoft but they make some pretty good development tools.

My suggestion: make your game and do up the art as best you can, which will probably be crappy.
Once the tech is proven, however, and you really do just need someone to do better art, then you'll probably find someone willing to help. Or, instead of offering royalties, invest a few thousand up front to actually commission some art. It's an investment, and if your game is worth it it'll pay off in the end.

Hey WizardStan, That is good advice and I am developing the game in parallel while I trying and find an artist. My Game is pretty playable and I have a level editor that lets you make levels quickly. So while the game play is there however I don’t any idea on a theme so setting. It could be a western or a sci fi or what ever. I though maybe the artist could decide that. I could hire artist up front. That is a little scary because I don’t know if my game would take off especially with out any marketing. I only plan on charging like 2 dollars for it. I did hear that there are firms in china that can commission artwork relatively cheap. Maybe I will just release it with my terrible art work and try and get an artist to help out with a sequel. I write Insurance software for my day job but I think it would be cool to make indie games professionally for a living. I need to releases a couple of games before even the smallest of publishers would consider working with me.

Back