Game Editor Works On Gp2x Now!!!

Wolfsclaw posted on Aug 23 2006 at 10:31 PM said:
Just in theory, could one buy the full version, compile loads of game-editor games that are compiled for Windows for the GP2x (i mean the ones that are already avaible) and then upload them, so that anybody could play them on their gp2x's !?

question 1 is if that would work!?
question 2 is if that would be illegal or still legal !?

That is if the "source" (?) is GPL'ed or open-sourced for said particular games.

Last edited by a moderator:
michaeljustman posted on Aug 23 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
So... does this mean that the archive is going to fill up with a hundereds games that are all the same.

This could be a bad or a good thing.
Say hello to a new category!

- Alex

Alex. posted on Aug 23 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
So... does this mean that the archive is going to fill up with a hundereds games that are all the same.

Say hello to a new category!

- Alex

And more publicity, a game creator like this that advertises support for the GP2X also advertises the GP2X =)

I took a quick look on the web site ... seems like you have to code anyway, and I don't know C++ :(

Yes, the tutorials are quite cool.

Anybody know how the input mapping works yet?

(I'm still at work so I haven't been able to load anything onto my gp2x.)

Methinks they should release some nice game demos that run on the GP2X, that way we'd get to see the actual performance and get something free besides publicity. :)

- Alex

While I wouldn't condone it, wouldn't it be possible for some one to make a game and send it to someone with the full version to compile for gp2x?

If this brings up some good, fun games for the GP2X, I'm all for it. If it brings up lots of 5-minute jobs that are horribly buggy and just generally suck, I'd request that the creators of these keep it to themselves.

hello hello (same post that gp32spain)

i'm making a game alone for pocket pc platform, and now for gp2x with this great soft (just bougth a silver package^^)

here the link of this project (no optimisation and fps bloc to 30 fps, run on 20-25 on the gp2x system), is name is carotshoot
certain people know it, i released a gp32 demo a small moment ago

so get it here, for test !
http://madsk8tard.info/carotshoot_GP2X.zip

_______

Anything that gets people creating on the system is a good thing, Let the clones come, they'll quickly be weeded out by the community and the gems praised and raised to the top of the pile.

TelcoLou posted on Aug 23 2006 at 08:13 PM said:
I took a quick look on the web site ... seems like you have to code anyway, and I don't know C++ :(

You need to know C++ to use it? Then what is the point? Just continue coding in C why would you need this? I thought it was an app to let those with minimal coding skills to hack up a game like the old AMOS or STOS or something like that.

DaveC posted on Aug 23 2006 at 07:27 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 23 2006 at 08:13 PM said:

You need to know C++ to use it? Then what is the point? Just continue coding in C why would you need this? I thought it was an app to let those with minimal coding skills to hack up a game like the old AMOS or STOS or something like that.

I don't know for sure, but it looks like C or C++ :

scriptbj6.jpg

code in C with this sofware but there are a lot of tools include on it like :

- export easily : just click and point
- make animation , create actor, draw actor, lots of functions with click and point
- etc... just read on the forum

test the demo with tutorials that you could see how the soft works ;)
it's very easy to create a game !

but for polish game, it's more difficult !

I am REALLY confused. That definitely looks like C code but everything else looks like Click and Play. Is this just a cross platform engine that epole can use or is it possible to make a game without writing a line of C?

Edit: It looks like it uses a scripting lanaguage based on C. If anyone knows about it, it is basically Luaplayer but with an advanced engine to work with.

It wouldn't really be unusual for the internal scripting language to be C-like. It's a syntactic style used by a lot of scripting engines.

Once you get over the fear of curly braces I'm sure the actual depth of programming required is minimal. Even Klik and Play had a scripting language. If this happens to allow you to plug in some C modules as well, that just means we can hope for more depth in the games that can be produced with this.

IMO this should be great for the GP2x, because this is something that might really hook people to the homebrew aspect of the platform. Where as previously it required a potential user have programming knowledge in order to consider the GP2x a potential toy development platform, now there's a cheap toolkit that lets anyone make stuff for themselves, and share it.

Of course, we'll probably see utterly crap offerings for the most part, but that's okay.

Edit: beaten to it, somewhat. Lua is a pretty well considered language, so plenty of tutorials should be available to school people on how to use it.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not slagging it ... I'm just a bit intimidated by the scary braces :ph34r:

I used to play around with Visual Basic, and wrote some games for the TI-99/4A, so I'm not completely put off by writing code. I'm just unsure of how much is needed to make a decent game; I don't have very much free time and I can't learn a programming language from scratch.

Back