Game Editor Works On Gp2x Now!!!

TelcoLou posted on Aug 23 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
I don't know for sure, but it looks like C or C++ :

Well you are way ahead of me. At least you know what "c" actually looks like :p

To me it just looks like someone fell asleep and their arm hit a bunch of random keys while REMing :lol:

Oh well I guess I wait for one of those dumbed down things.

Last edited by a moderator:
How complex is the engine, I wonder?

I'll dl it and give it a shot. Hopefully, you can produce other things besides arcade. I would kill for strategy on GP2X.

from the looks of it a lot of it is pretty simple stuff. Sort of like set characters in motion define their actions and how you interact with them as well as their animation for those interactions. The Coding is probably the output that gets generated just like a WYSIWYG html editor for web sites, you can place things without having to code but if you want to make fine tuning adjustments you have to hit the code directly.

An editor may generate a website in 20 lines but you could code a simple website in 5 lines that does exactly the same thing, it's all optimization.

Alpha2 has it right i think. I have, in about 30 minutes of fiddling around, created a pac-man that moves up and down and bounces a ball the other direction when a collision is detected. This is without a stitch of coding.

I'll be loading this to the file archive shortly... Just kidding.

If this is a C or C++ like language, then it should be a lot easier to learn a standard C or C++ language after learning this. I think it looks pretty cool, I may give it a shot, but I have no idea what kind of game I'd make at the moment. In any case, this is pretty interesting.

Wow :eek:
I've been thinking about learning some coding for a while now.
This looks like it could be a good way of getting started.
I look forward to hearing some feedback - is it as noob friendly as it sounds?
Be cool if they could port a demo to the GP2X, just so we can see the potential :)

I think this is great, the more variety and potential for *any* form of development, the better. I think i'll have a mess around with this myself :)

The programming language looks like c++ to me, but that doesn't mean it is the same as using c++. This package comes with map editors, sprite editors and all sort of useful things (collision detection for example) that you might otherwise have to program yourself.

I am a bit concerned about the performance though. I played that carrot game, and on my GP2X, the game had the occasional stutter, which implied that the machine was limping along slightly. That was worrying considering the simplicity of the game that was running.

However, I still think this is worth looking into. Maybe they'll be able to add some speed improvements, or better yet, support the second processor. Now THAT would be awesome! :)

tmb_ayebe posted on Aug 24 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
I am a bit concerned about the performance though. I played that carrot game, and on my GP2X, the game had the occasional stutter, which implied that the machine was limping along slightly. That was worrying considering the simplicity of the game that was running.

However, I still think this is worth looking into. Maybe they'll be able to add some speed improvements, or better yet, support the second processor. Now THAT would be awesome! :)

Hmm, im also concerned about the performance. Seems it varies, check out this discussion on thier forums...

http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12159#12159

For simplistic games i'd expect 30fps with no stuttering at all. But like you said hopefully they'll add speed optimisations, and it is early days yet after all. Second processor support would indeed be awesome! :)

Heres hoping, I really like the idea of developing something with this, but i dont want to be put off by speed probs.

In the list of features it says "Advanced scripting - use the Game Editor script to enhance your games" I'm guessing that means it's not essential to code.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 23 2006 at 09:26 PM said:
from the looks of it a lot of it is pretty simple stuff. Sort of like set characters in motion define their actions and how you interact with them as well as their animation for those interactions. The Coding is probably the output that gets generated just like a WYSIWYG html editor for web sites, you can place things without having to code but if you want to make fine tuning adjustments you have to hit the code directly.

An editor may generate a website in 20 lines but you could code a simple website in 5 lines that does exactly the same thing, it's all optimization.
I'm sorry for getting off topic, but why isn't Alpha2 a guru? :huh: He helped me out and countless others when we were noobs. :D

Getting back on topic, I think this is has no use on the gp2x, everyone might as well learn C or python or something. I thought this would be a point a click type program, but I was disappointed. ;) I setting up an IDE on my computer today. Does anybody know of a really simple compiler(preferably small)?

For which platform?
PC, use MinGW (Comes with Code::Blocks and DevCpp) [If you use code blocks, make sure you get hold of the nightly build, it is far better then the RC2 release]
GP2X, get the full package (DevKitGP2X) from the GP2X archive (it will save you a lot of trouble)

How about someone try game editor before speculating so much about it? Lots of people are saying they're not even gonna try it becaus you still have to know C++. Well, I can write a program in C++ and I have tried the demo of game editor and I can tell you this: You do not have to know C++, you have to have a general undertanding of what programming is, and get a bit used to c syntax.
Game editor uses a very simple script language with a syntax that resembles C.
It's like saying you have to know c++ to write a flash game or presentation. You don't. Flash uses actionscript. You can do beautiful things with flash without event coding a line, but if you know actionscript, sky is the limit. The same goes for Game Editor. You can do a lot without writing code. If you do, you can do a lot more.
And if you want to start programming, game editor should be a good starting point too, because you can get used to algorithmy, variables, loops, etc, without thinking of what makes C++ scary: classes, memory management, etc.

So my advice is, try it anyway. I only tried the demo so I have no idea of what performance we can expect on the GP, but it looks good on the desktop. If you're a newby, it's a great starting point. If you are an experienced programmer, I am sure you can write very good games in 1% of the time it used to take you to code it from scratch.
I don't think anybody is gonna use it to create tomb raider 12, but with imagination we'll get very nice playable games.

Unfortunatly I can't aford the silver or gold versions, so I'm gonna wait for the next release (which I believe is gonna be amazing, judging by the screenshots), but I'm definitely gonna get it.

Schprlock posted on Aug 24 2006 at 02:30 PM said:
How about someone try game editor before speculating so much about it? Lots of people are saying they're not even gonna try it becaus you still have to know C++. Well, I can write a program in C++ and I have tried the demo of game editor and I can tell you this: You do not have to know C++, you have to have a general undertanding of what programming is, and get a bit used to c syntax.
Unfortunatly I can't aford the silver or gold versions, so I'm gonna wait for the next release (which I believe is gonna be amazing, judging by the screenshots), but I'm definitely gonna get it.
Bingo. Its very easy, I can't believe the people harping on it, especially the fellow who claims it didn't come with a tutorial :)
I don't see the appeal of the Gold or Silver, I'm going to get the basic for $25. I could re-purchase the basic package in a year and will be $50 up on people who opted for the Gold package (unless of course he bumps up the price alot for his next release).

+1

i posted a little demo of my engine for test on the gp2x...

so test the Game editor soft demo and you will see how it working...

its not hard to download and test on your computer...

MaDsk8tard posted on Aug 24 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
+1

i posted a little demo of my engine for test on the gp2x...

so test the Game editor soft demo and you will see how it working...

its not hard to download and test on your computer...
Does it normally take a few minutes to load? I've been looking at a blank screen for a while now...

I'm still using 1.2.1, I wonder if that is an issue...

Having been a Game Editor user for a few months now (I wrote a review for PPC site 4WinMobile and a GP2X coveter this could well be the push I've needed to add another gadget to the family :D

As for your concerns/points regarding GE:

C Coding - you can create a simple game without any coding at all but as with most things spending the time to learn about the scripting will render better results. Whilst it is C based it is actually quite simple and the interface allows you to build a lot of scripts in a "can't go wrong" kinda way. Also, as mentioned
, if you are already aware of C type syntax then the learning curve is very shallow.

Game Speed - Optimisation is a big topic and one that is constantly under discussion on the site, the demos aren't necessarily written with optimisation as there main goal, they are after all merely to demonstrate the capabilities of the system. Also, the developer does normally keep up a high rate of updates to fix any issues that crop up. I only say normally as he is currently working on a big interface change that is taking longer than his usual gap between release, in fact I believe that he only broke off from his beavering away on this because of the enthusiasm on the site for GP2X to be included.

Attack of the clones - Yeah, fair comment, you are likely to see plenty of this (I'm working on a couple of shoot-em-ups for PPC myself!!), however on the hands of anyone with an imagination then the possibilities are almost endless.

Overall I think this has to be a good thing for your scene as even if only one game in every five is a cracker you should still get a fair few of said ;)

I may give this a go ... Thanks for the input folks; you may all get to play that "GG Allin Simulator" I had some ideas for ...

Back