Game / Gamestation

isn't that only the stores they didn't already close though? all the ones in the Irish Republic are now gone, can't say they were always the best choice, but our selection is even more limited now!

^ Yep, correct - only the surviving ones. It's still hugely disappointing, as it may damage the chances of worthwhile independent chains emerging again in those areas.

I'm guessing that before GAME were wrongfully allowed to buy out the only competing chain, there were more options available over there?

no, we didn't really have any. the closest competitors to Game we have are Gamestop, there's no Gamestations or anything like that down here.(I'm from Cork)

Yikes...

I must admit, I really miss when there were more independent stores about. :( They were always very interesting, and often carried imports - not just of games, but also of related merchandise that wasn't even available here...

yeah Stouffa is right.

even up in Dublin (where i am from) the prices and the competition is terrible. most are swamped with OVER PRICED second hand junk.

typically in ireland the pricing of second hands and new is terrible.

Yikes...

I must admit, I really miss when there were more independent stores about. :( They were always very interesting, and often carried imports - not just of games, but also of related merchandise that wasn't even available here...

there is only one place in Ireland that would consider getting in related merchandise and that is forbidden planet. and even they operate a bloated over pricing.

hence unfortunately I buy 95+% of all from the internet.

^ Yeah, same for me, too. I also miss when used games had used prices, rather than "new, minus £2 or so". :rolleyes:

In Dublin their used to be some nice independent game stores in 1999 but i imagine they are largely gone now.Yeah cork has Gamestop and Hmv but HMV are in dire straits too and are pulling out of selling games. Xtra-vision a chain videostore sell games too.X-tra vision have rip off dvd rental prices though.They seem to sell games just to get people in the door to buy/rent dvds/blurays.Gamestop will surely see increased sales due to the vacum created by game.Trade in prices are rubbish in Gamestop though.Secondhand games are only a fiver cheaper than new ones.Problem was people were buying the secondhand copy over the new one due to the disparity in price so they made both prices similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem was people were buying the secondhand copy over the new one due to the disparity in price so they made both prices similar.
Used game sales are pretty much pure profit for chains like this, though. I'd be more inclined to think that they were being greedy, since there's no incentive for them to sell new games, but plenty of incentive to sell used ones.

Also, really? An entire fiver?! In my experience, GAME, at times, only charged £1 less than the new prices for used games!

Back